HELP! I've been raped!

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

HELP! I've been raped!

Post by dbt1949 »

Out of the blue my pc started having problems. It seemed maybe my video drivers were bad.
Then yesterday I had to reset my pc and found my video drivers had disappeared and MS had installed their drivers. I downloaded and installed Nvidia okay.
Then today I find that most (but not all) of my documents had been deleted. Every save game that was loaded there. CIV5 & 6 mods and save games, Battle Brothers, Fallout 4 and others.
The games themselves seem to work fine but no saved games.
Anybody have any ideas of what happened?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Re: HELP! I've been raped!

Post by dbt1949 »

Okay, after do a lot of looking online I think that probably Win 10 thought I was getting low on space so it automatically deleted all my save games in my Documents folder. 350G total and I was down to 25-30G probably.
I went to settings and turned off everything that said anything about allowing windows to free up HD space for me. My Nvidia drivers?
Some games I probably had 30-60 hours in. :x
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Someone in another section of the board said his wife's weeks of works all were deleted yesterday from his docs or something too. Coincidence?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This was a bug in the October Windows update.
Support for affected users

To help our customers that may be impacted by this issue, Microsoft Support is assisting customers and trying to recover data for users who may have experienced related data loss. Microsoft retail stores support services also offer this same level of support in-store. While we cannot guarantee the outcome of any file recovery work, if you have manually checked for updates and believe you have an issue with missing files, please minimize your use of the affected device and contact us directly at +1-800-MICROSOFT or find a local number in your area. For more information, please refer to our Windows 10 update history page (KB article), which we are updating with new information as it is available.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, the 1809 Update. From the sounds of it, it might have been tied to the logic behind OneDrive. I read about one user who felt they were being ransomed by OneDrive into paying higher tier access to get all of it back while never realizing he had actually created an account and activating it and had assumed it had been turned on by default after the update. After many complaints about missing files, MS stopped offering the update.

What's confusing is that MS went ahead and gave the December Feature Update the same numbering.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti