Add a separate Wifi-AC access/router, or replace existing Wifi-N router?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Add a separate Wifi-AC access/router, or replace existing Wifi-N router?

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have a bit of a dilemma.

My current rented home has AT&T DSL, and I've disabled the existing router, only use pass-thru modem, and connected to a NetGear WiFi-N router/access point. Right now the setup works for downstairs and mezzanine level. I even have a wired powerline setup so upstairs can have a clear connection... to 1 PC, and it's not even being used.

I kinda want to upgrade the network to Wifi-AC, so here's the question...

1) Should I replace the existing N-router, or just add the AC as a secondary access point, maybe exclusive for upstairs or something?

2) Should I even bother, as I don't think any of the PC's I got actually have a Wifi-AC adapter, just Wifi-N?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Add a separate Wifi-AC access/router, or replace existing Wifi-N router?

Post by Zaxxon »

For virtually anyone looking to improve coverage by replacing/adding hardware in 2018+, the answer is 'toss that garbage and get a mesh system.'
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:30 pm For virtually anyone looking to improve coverage by replacing/adding hardware in 2018+, the answer is 'toss that garbage and get a mesh system.'
This, though I went UniFi before mesh was actually available.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
JCC

Post by JCC »

If you get a new AC router you should use it as the main router. Use the old one as an access point (if you need it). It could be the new router will have a greater range than your old one.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:23 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:30 pm For virtually anyone looking to improve coverage by replacing/adding hardware in 2018+, the answer is 'toss that garbage and get a mesh system.'
This. I went Google mesh, which was brain-dead easy to setup and fixed all of my Wi-Fi coverage problems.
-mf
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:18 am
Pyperkub wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:23 pm
This. I went Google mesh, which was brain-dead easy to setup and fixed all of my Wi-Fi coverage problems.
Same here. I've got Google Wi-Fi set up at my home and my in-laws, and both have been rock-solid. The app interface is pretty slick, too. Automatically checks your internet speed, can show bandwidth usage by device or the whole network for real-time, daily, weekly, last 30 days.

And they actually update it routinely so you're not stuck with major security flaws for weeks/months (*cough* Asus). (Insert joke about Google networking devices being their own security flaw here.)
JCC

Post by JCC »

I ultimately bought an ASUS AC1900 two pack since at the time it was cheaper than Google Wifi. (Today on Amazon the Google Wifi 3 pack is cheaper.) I would have also had to buy a switch to use the Google Wifi. Having said that the ASUS AI Mesh works well. Though, it does have the odd drop on the mesh node now and again which may last a seconds up to a minute or so when it happens. But, I am sure Google Wifi is awesome. If it had been priced then what it is today on Amazon I would have bought it instead.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

But even with mesh systems there are different systems from 175 to 350 (or more).

I think Google Mesh is right in the middle at about $250 on Amazon.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I recently upgraded a high-end, but aging router after noticing some sporadic issues with it from various devices.

I got the AmpliFi HD WiFi Router (It was $139 on Amazon). There are add-on mesh points that you can buy later ($110/each) to add to the system for extended coverage, but the router alone covers our 3500 sq ft home and garage.

Installation was a snap - install an app on your mobile device, and 2 minutes later (or less), you're up and running, and the speed was an insane jump over our old router. I highly recommend it!
-something witty-
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I just installed the Google WiFi system. Great coverage but has issues with double NAT. Oddly, none of the issues if I use the guest ssid but I still need to fix, probably going to take down the modem NAT and just make it a bridge to Google.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Out of curiosity, what kind of "double NAT" issues are you seeing? My Comcast router (which the Google Mesh chains from) is one but I simply don't have anything connecting to it any longer so perhaps why I'm not seeing issues. FWIW, I did have to look up what "double NAT" meant to be sure what I thought it was was actually what it actually was. :wink:
-mf