Gsynch Support Added For FreeSynch

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Gsynch Support Added For FreeSynch

Post by Octavious »

Just a heads up in case you don't know. NVidia released drivers yesterday that allow you to turn GSynch on if you have a Freesynch monitor. They currently only officially support 12 monitors that they tested, but you can still turn it on manually if it's not on the list. I tried it yesterday with my AOC monitor and it worked pretty much perfectly when playing PUBG. This is great news as the NVidia monitors were WAY more expensive since they had hardware built in to provide this feature. So download the drivers and give it a shot.

FYI if you aren't aware the short and non technical details are that it helps match up your monitor to the FPS of the game you are playing. If you have a game that wildly swings in FPS this should help smooth out the display so that you don't get tearing and stuttering.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
jztemple2

Re: Gsynch Support Added For FreeSynch

Post by jztemple2 »

That's something I could use on a few games (I'm looking at you, Ghost Recon Wildlands). It would seem that this was originally an AMD feature, is that right? I've found lists of FreeSynch monitors, but they mention AMD.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

FreeSync is developed by AMD, but available royalty-free.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:11 pm FreeSync is developed by AMD, but available royalty-free.
It's a shame monitors are nigh-on indestructible, I'd have a hard time justifying spending money to replace mine which still works fine even at eleven years old.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There aren't going to be too many scenarios where someone owns an Nvidia card and a freesync monitor, bit with this support coming into play that may change.

An freesync monitor is significantly less than an equivalent g-sync one.

I'd want to see some serious 3rd party testing before I go all in on this pairing though.

Nvidia+g-sync has been significantly better performing than amd+freesync up until now, but the cost is prohibitive.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:44 amFYI if you aren't aware the short and non technical details are that it helps match up your monitor to the FPS of the game you are playing. If you have a game that wildly swings in FPS this should help smooth out the display so that you don't get tearing and stuttering.
This is huge. Not just that last part, but it also effectively allows you to play games at MUCH higher resolutions/refresh rates than you normally could with the same video card.

i.e. if you are trying to run a modern game at a decent frame rate with even something like a GTX 1080 card (not a cheap card), on one of the larger monitors that can do 120Hz or even 144Hz natively (like this guy: https://slickdeals.net/f/12634252-lg-32 ... hBarV2_cat),
then you would be turning the graphics options in the game way, way down, or down-rezzing to one of the lower, non-native monitor resolutions, or significantly lowering the refresh rate, or all three. G-Sync (and to a lesser degree, FreeSync), solves this problem for the most part.

As mentioned though, up until now, the G-Sync monitors were MUCH more expensive than FreeSync due to licensing. I can't wait to see how much of a difference the lack of GSync hardware makes in monitors running Freesync.