2 hotspot/wifi questions

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Freyland

2 hotspot/wifi questions

Post by Freyland »

1) I have a Samsung Galaxy9 phone through Verizon, 4g LTE. Download speeds are not fancy (4-5 MPS) using speedtest.net. It is enough to let me play PUBG. However, when using it to download patches on STEAM when my regular internet is down, I only get 60-80 KB/s. There was a time, months ago, where using my hotspot would net me up to 800 KB/s on STEAM, when the stars were properly aligned. Any ideas why this would be happening and what I can do to fix it?

2) I noticed this phone's hotspot settings allow you to use 5GHZ wavelength when available. I have a dual adapter, and when my regular internet works, I connect to the 5 GHz channels. Likewise, I can use it to surf on my PC or d/l on STEAM (see above issue, regardless of bandwidth used), however for some reason I cannot load PUBG successfully with this bandwidth *from the phone*. I get the "server too busy" error over and over, until I eventually get a "failed to authorize external somethingsomething" error. To be clear, I could use 5 GHz with my home internet and load PUBG just as well as with the 2.4 GHz or ethernet connection, so it seems specific to the hotspot at 5 GHz. Ideas?

Thank you

3) FML. Edited to add that I ran speedtest on the hotspot and I'm getting all of 0.6 MBs d/l. While I'm flabbergasted at this, one distant possibility is that some time ago I ran Ashampoo to "optimize" my internet adapters. I can't say i noticed a difference with my ethernet (when my home internet worked) and i hadn't used my hotspot until just recently. I "Returned to Windows default" on the app, but no change. Assuming that is the issue, how do I nuke it from orbit? That is, how do I do a fresh install of my adaptors, shy of a full Windows reinstall?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Freyland

Re: 2 hotspot/wifi questions

Post by Freyland »

Freyland wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:23 pm 1) I have a Samsung Galaxy9 phone through Verizon, 4g LTE. Download speeds are not fancy (4-5 MPS) using speedtest.net. It is enough to let me play PUBG. However, when using it to download patches on STEAM when my regular internet is down, I only get 60-80 KB/s. There was a time, months ago, where using my hotspot would net me up to 800 KB/s on STEAM, when the stars were properly aligned. Any ideas why this would be happening and what I can do to fix it?

2) I noticed this phone's hotspot settings allow you to use 5GHZ wavelength when available. I have a dual adapter, and when my regular internet works, I connect to the 5 GHz channels. Likewise, I can use it to surf on my PC or d/l on STEAM (see above issue, regardless of bandwidth used), however for some reason I cannot load PUBG successfully with this bandwidth *from the phone*. I get the "server too busy" error over and over, until I eventually get a "failed to authorize external somethingsomething" error. To be clear, I could use 5 GHz with my home internet and load PUBG just as well as with the 2.4 GHz or ethernet connection, so it seems specific to the hotspot at 5 GHz. Ideas?

Thank you

3) FML. Edited to add that I ran speedtest on the hotspot and I'm getting all of 0.6 MBs d/l. While I'm flabbergasted at this, one distant possibility is that some time ago I ran Ashampoo to "optimize" my internet adapters. I can't say i noticed a difference with my ethernet (when my home internet worked) and i hadn't used my hotspot until just recently. I "Returned to Windows default" on the app, but no change. Assuming that is the issue, how do I nuke it from orbit? That is, how do I do a fresh install of my adaptors, shy of a full Windows reinstall?
Quoted myself so I knew who I was responding to.

#3 is simple enough; there is a "Reset Network" option under settings in Win10 that does exactly what I wanted to do, ie. reinstall and reset all adaptors. Sadly, didn't help with any issues I have been experiencing.

#1 *may* be due to ISP data-throttling because every phone owner in my home seems to require enough Data to calculate The Meaning Of Life. I can recheck that on the 9th when things reset.

Still open to insight regarding #2.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.