Keyboard on laptop not working

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Keyboard on laptop not working

Post by naednek »

So my darling of a daughter decided she didn't listen to her mom telling her to stop jumping from one dining table chair to another and promptly spilled Erin's opened water bottle over her laptop. Erin eventually turned off the laptop (not sure why she felt the need to call me first before turning it off...)

I ran a hair dryer over the keyboard, and through the vents for a good 10 minutes, and kept it off over night.

This morning it powers on, but some of the keys do not work, and randomly this will happen ```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I can get that to stop, but when trying to type later it appears again. I quickly got her data off the laptop (I have backups, but this would be faster and easier to pull from the hard drive)

My next attempt is to get a usb keyboard and have her use that. Is there a way I can disable to the actual physical keyboard from the laptop via the device manager? She has an IBM\Lenovo. I can't recall the model at the moment.

Any way to fix the keyboard?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
dbt1949

Re: Keyboard on laptop not working

Post by dbt1949 »

It may just take a couple of days to completely dry. Air has a hard time getting to those little switches underneath the keys.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

it's still got water in the keyboard.

You can probably find an ifixit guide, but the proper way to fix this is to turn off the laptop, disassemble the laptop, and remove the keyboard, and treat it as if you're tryign to revive a wet phone: bag of rice / dessicant and all that.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

like everyone said, you were too hasty in powering it back on. needs to be left to dry for at least a week (and yes, disassembled).