Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Aghast at Avast

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Dave Allen

Aghast at Avast

Post by Dave Allen » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:19 pm

My SSD drive's space was dropping at a rate of 1gb a day.
Avast had created 10k+ of temp files in Appdata/Local/Temp when I finally figured it out.
If anyone else has this going on - go to the temp folder, search for prb*.tmp and delete them all.
Got about 15gb of storage back. Space, the final frontier! :geek:
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.

jztemple2

Re: Aghast at Avast

Post by jztemple2 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:24 pm

Good gosh, do you know why it is doing it?
"A plan is a list of things that go wrong. I like to keep my lists short. Just be ready." - Rico Rodriguez

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:04 am

In their forum it looks like a problem with the current build.
Lately I've also been getting pop-ups saying my license is about to expire in X days.
Maybe I should switch to a free version of something else? Suggestions?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:42 am

I'm using Malwarebytes based upon recommendations from this forum. I did the trial and switched to Premium. So far I have no reason to complain.
"A plan is a list of things that go wrong. I like to keep my lists short. Just be ready." - Rico Rodriguez

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:55 am

The free version of Bitdefender Antivirus provides solid protection with a simple and unobtrusive interface. In terms of free antivirus products, I think it's preferable to the bloaty features of Avast.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:14 am

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:55 am
The free version of Bitdefender Antivirus provides solid protection with a simple and unobtrusive interface. In terms of free antivirus products, I think it's preferable to the bloaty features of Avast.
Bitdefender Free looks like what I once expected from Avast. I'll give it a try.
FYI, Bitdefender also has individualized removal tools for all their competitors here.

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:49 pm

I installed Bitdefender and did a system scan. It found a file that was password-protected and asked me to enter a password or skip it.

The interesting thing is that the folder the password-protected file is in does NOT appear at all in Windows Explorer.
I'm pretty familiar with how to change the files & folders options, and I'd swear the folder doesn't exist.

A Windows search comes up with nada. And yet if I create a folder with the same name (in this case "#ignore") it asks me if I want to replace this folder with the current one. No matter what I choose, a folder named "#ignore" never appears.

???

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:50 am

I've uninstalled Avast as my Comodo Firewall is also an antivirus (Technically, it's Comodo Internet Security), and personal license is free (they obviously want you to buy the pro version which has extra perks)
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: Total War Battles: Shogun / Chinese Parents

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:30 am

Dave Allen wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:49 pm
I installed Bitdefender and did a system scan. It found a file that was password-protected and asked me to enter a password or skip it.

The interesting thing is that the folder the password-protected file is in does NOT appear at all in Windows Explorer.
I'm pretty familiar with how to change the files & folders options, and I'd swear the folder doesn't exist.

A Windows search comes up with nada. And yet if I create a folder with the same name (in this case "#ignore") it asks me if I want to replace this folder with the current one. No matter what I choose, a folder named "#ignore" never appears.

???
Apparently this #ignore thing existed back in Win7, and repeated reports of it ever since.

https://superuser.com/questions/538604/ ... re-folder
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: Total War Battles: Shogun / Chinese Parents

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:00 pm

Bitdefender bothers me a whole lot less than Avast - except for one issue:

Bitdefender blocks just about every website I regularly go to, and I don't see any way to disable this specific feature in my free edition. :(

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:00 pm

Dave Allen wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:00 pm
Bitdefender bothers me a whole lot less than Avast - except for one issue:

Bitdefender blocks just about every website I regularly go to, and I don't see any way to disable this specific feature in my free edition. :(
Try following these instructions for disabling SSL scanning in Bitdefender (scroll down for instructions on the 2019 version if that's what you're using). Doing so should prevent Bitdefender's overprotective website-blocking.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:28 am

Had a similar issue with NOD32 awhile ago with the SSL scanning. I think this was around the time Google was forcing websites to switch to https, which I think threw these scanners off. Disabling it did the trick, though I think they eventually got it fixed.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:13 am

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:00 pm

Try following these instructions for disabling SSL scanning in Bitdefender (scroll down for instructions on the 2019 version if that's what you're using). Doing so should prevent Bitdefender's overprotective website-blocking.
These instructions are for the paid versions. The free version is a different animal entirely. There are no settings other than the shield on/off switch and a site-by-site exclusion list I can add to - what a pita. :(

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Dave Allen wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:13 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:00 pm

These instructions are for the paid versions. The free version is a different animal entirely. There are no settings other than the shield on/off switch and a site-by-site exclusion list I can add to - what a pita. :(
Wow, that sucks.

Alas, it seems makers of free antivirus software are increasingly going out of their way to annoy users into 'upgrading' to a functional paid product (be it through ads, or the omission of basic controls and features). Because I'm fairly sure the free version of Bitdefender antivirus previously did allow users to disable SSL scanning.

FWIW, Leo Laporte has suggested avoiding usage of third-party AV software altogether for quite some time, so it's worth considering his advice.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:54 pm

That's what I've been doing for years. I've given up on too many antiviruses because they interfered with gaming too much, whether performance wise, deleting files, locking files, etc. Windows AV hasn't caused me any issues, and I don't engage in 'risky' behaviors to begin with.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:54 am

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:10 pm
FWIW, Leo Laporte has suggested avoiding usage of third-party AV software altogether for quite some time, so it's worth considering his advice.
That was fun and informative. In fact it tipped the scale for me. Leo convinced me to leave my Win 7 (and I loved her :wub: ) for Windows 10. And finally putting the AV issue to rest is a real perk.

morlac

Post by morlac » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:59 pm

I keep a copy of the free malware malbytes around for the occasional time I need to run it to fix something Windows defender can't. This is mostly for PC's I help maintain besides mine....Uncle and nephew I'm looking at you two! Even that is once a year at most nowadays.

Every paid or other free one I've messed with is a bloaty mess praying on fear and stupidity. Free windows defender and more importantly smart usage are the best defense.