Gmail account recovery

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

Gmail account recovery

Post by Grifman »

This is an utterly worthless.

Windows said that my gmail was corrupted so it did it's thing. Then logging into Gmail it asked me to create a new password, which I did. However, I had to log back into Gmail and it doesn't recognize my new password (even though it shows that I just changed it. So now I go through their password recovery process.

1) It asks for me to enter my most recent password (I already did and it didn't work).

2) Then it asks to send a confirmation to my phone, which I respond to.

3) Then asks to send a confirmation email to a back up email address which I no longer use so I have to skip that and "Select another way"

4) Then it asks what phone number I have set up for the account and I correctly answer that

5) Then it asks for my high school which I answer correctly

6) Then it wants to know that month/year I set up my Google account - WTF!?! Who remembers that?!?! So I select another way

7) At that point it asks for an email address where they can contact me because they have to research this so I give them my backup hotmail account

I did some googling on this and this is just a horror story over and over again from people who have gone through the same thing, some of which are unable to get their accounts back. This is utterly absurd! And there's no phone number that I can find where you can actually talk to anyone.

I am supposed to hear back from the in 3-5 business days but I am afraid I will be out on luck. I can access the account from my phone/ipad but I need access from my pc to be able to print stuff. Anyone every had to deal with this? This is just about the worst customer service I have come across.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
stessier

Re: Gmail account recovery

Post by stessier »

I'm sorry, I've never had to go through it.

I'm confused though - how can you still get in on a tablet and phone but not your desktop? Are you using Chrome on the PC and can't login? Or is it that Microsoft synching something into another program to show combine all email isn't working?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

stessier wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:44 pm I'm sorry, I've never had to go through it.

I'm confused though - how can you still get in on a tablet and phone but not your desktop? Are you using Chrome on the PC and can't login? Or is it that Microsoft synching something into another program to show combine all email isn't working?
I don't really know but I can. Maybe the phone retains the password and uses it to log in? It's strange because I changed in on the PC but the phone acts like nothing happened.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"On the PC.". Is that in Chrome/browser or in an application?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant help so I will say good luck. Hope its not some trojan or virus or keylogger.

Im a little curious as this brought up thoughts about my original account. I started with Gmail in its beta or 1 gig times. 2004 I think. I had another account but my wife didn't like the name or the ease of it or something so I made the one I use now...which is hell to tell to someone over a phone :). But I wonder if I could log into my old account somehow without messing up my current one and just see what stuff I used to get in my email back then. Like is that nick / account still there even. I could probably guess my old password.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I had a situation long ago that I resolved via the account recovery option to contact support. When I had my Kindle w/ Keyboard, I decided to see what would happen if I logged into Gmail using the experimental browser. What could go wrong, I thought? Well, Gmail freaked out and I got locked out of my account. After going through the account recovery options and sending a message regarding the reason, it got promptly fixed.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:27 pm But I wonder if I could log into my old account somehow without messing up my current one and just see what stuff I used to get in my email back then. Like is that nick / account still there even. I could probably guess my old password.
you know you can switch accounts:

https://www.gtricks.com/google/login-di ... e-browser/

or use another web browser
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Thanks for reminding me to check my account recovery options. :)

Good luck with getting control of your account.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I don't understand why Windows thinks your Gmail is corrupted. What would be corrupted? Can you reset your password from the iPad?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I just set up my wife's new rig for her. Windows 10 required an email address for setup and a password and PIN. It took her GMail address as an acceptable address. Did you use the gmail address to set up your Windows account?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I managed to guess my password so I'm good, but their recovery process is still awful.
chrispeddler

Post by chrispeddler »

Same thing happened to me. Exhausted all those security questions but still didn't got my account back. Lesson for me, use Lastpass...but im not using it for any financial related accounts.
elizaclark

Post by elizaclark »

No spamming spammer! No spamming spammer!