Is there a devise or cell phone app that will physical triangulate to locate a wifi devise connected to my router?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

UsulofDoom

Is there a devise or cell phone app that will physical triangulate to locate a wifi devise connected to my router?

Post by UsulofDoom »

What devise or cell phone app that will physical triangulate to locate a wifi devise connected to my router? That is what I’m asking for an answer to.

I have a router that shows the below connection. I want to locate it. I have multiple devices that are connected to my wifi.
I have blocked it, but want to know physical location.

Blocked Unknown 192.168.1.116 EC:F0:0E:1C:1C:3A Wireless(Not Yours)

Is there a app that will say use a cell phone to ping the devise and give signal strength, then move to multiple locations to triangulate the source physical location?

Please, please don’t say about changing pass words or type of security using . That would be a waste of your time replying and my time reading.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Is there a devise or cell phone app that will physical triangulate to locate a wifi devise connected to my router?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

A cell phone probably isn't sensitive enough even if there was an app.

Here's a kind of humorous thread on the topic. It's old but mostly still true. At the least you'd need a very sensitive directional antenna and a mobile router.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Is there a devise or cell phone app that will physical triangulate to locate a wifi devise connected to my router?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Also, not sure how reliable this source is but it looks like the MAC is from ABOcom. MACs can be spoofed, of course.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Why do you want to know the physical location?
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:41 pm Why do you want to know the physical location?
I hope you do know it is ileagal to steel wifi from a password protected source.. I'm not in an appartment so it is a close house. Unless it's hidden in side. I don't want to keep changing passwords on 17 wifi devices every week.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

UsulofDoom wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:58 pm I hope you do know it is ileagal to steel wifi from a password protected source.. I'm not in an appartment so it is a close house. Unless it's hidden in side. I don't want to keep changing passwords on 17 wifi devices every week.
I hope you do know that even if you somehow figured it out, it would be completely illegal for you to do anything about it yourself. And if you went complaining to cops/ISP/whomever, they'd just laugh in your face and tell you to pick a better password. No one would bother going after someone stealing someone's wi-fi.

Also, why change password every week? Are you implying that you already changed the password once and are still finding the same rogue device reconnecting to your network?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If so, I'd suspect that either you need updated hardware (router or other connection point) if your's isn't recent, or it is something other than what you assume.

What ISP do you use? Comcast, for instance, has public connection sharing features that connect through your device, but not through your account.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My guess is that it's an wifi enabled something in your own house that you set up and don't use/don't remember. Just playing the odds.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:57 am Also, not sure how reliable this source is but it looks like the MAC is from ABOcom. MACs can be spoofed, of course.
Krebs
Imagine buying an internet-enabled surveillance camera, network attached storage device, or home automation gizmo, only to find that it secretly and constantly phones home to a vast peer-to-peer (P2P) network run by the Chinese manufacturer of the hardware. Now imagine that the geek gear you bought doesn’t actually let you block this P2P communication without some serious networking expertise or hardware surgery that few users would attempt.
In another instance from May 2015, this blogger noted similar communications traffic emanating from a digital video recorder (DVR) device that’s sold in tandem with Internet-enabled surveillance cameras made by a company called Swann.

Likewise, postings from Dec. 2014 on the QNAP network attached storage (NAS) user forum indicate that some QNAP customers discovered mysterious traffic to iotcplatform.com and other Internet address requests that also were found in the Swann and Smart Plug traffic.

What do all of these things have in common? A visit to ThroughTek’s Web lists several “case studies” for its products, including Swann, QNAP and a home automation company based in Taiwan called AboCom.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Its certainly possible that you have a device connected that doesn't need a password. Many routers have a WPS button you can press to sync devices without having to put in a password. Do you recall connecting anything using this technology (WPS or Wi-Fi Protected Setup)?
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

No, since you need multiple AP to triangulate anything. router is a SINGLE point of reference.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:25 am No, since you need multiple AP to triangulate anything. router is a SINGLE point of reference.
His cell phone would be the multiple APs.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

But how would you make that extra device connect to the phone instead? You can't. At least, not without turning off the original router, and setup the phone as a hotspot to "impersonate" the router. And not even that may work.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I don't think it would work either. Just explaining what he was asking for. I think he's hoping to scan for that device with his cell phone.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Exactly, but the other device is talking to the router, not the cell phone. Nothing to "triangulate" on as it's only 1 point of reference.