[H]ardOCP is no more

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

[H]ardOCP is no more

Post by AWS260 »

The founder of HardOCP is mothballing the site and taking a job at Intel.
So what happens to HardOCP? I have thought long and hard about this. I do not want to sell HardOCP or HardForum and see those properties turned into something that I would not be proud of. HardOCP will be "mothballed." It will no longer publish news, editorial, or hardware review content. Of course, being the "Director of Enthusiast Engagement" and closing HardForum.com, one of the largest computer enthusiast forums on the Internet, does not seem to go hand-in-hand, but there are some conflict of interest issues that need to be tackled. HardForum.com will be sold to a company that I have done business with for years, one that I can trust to run it in the way you are familiar with. HardForum will be demonitised and all advertising and commission links removed. Simply put, HardForum will not make money in any way. It will be left up to its members to fund operations through Patreon. We already have Patreon funding in place, so this should not be an issue. Over the last year, I have gotten the HardForum to run lean and mean and I have no doubt that we will not see much change in its functioning. I will also still be an admin and member of our HardForum community. I will still be there interacting with you and the other members. Even though I am going to work for Intel, I am still a member of the enthusiast community and love being a part of it. It is not something I would ever give up.
disarm

Re: [H]ardOCP is no more

Post by disarm »

Well that's a bit of a bummer. HardOCP has been a staple of the PC enthusiast community for a long time, and I've always found their content to be thorough and reliable. It's a shame to see the site go, but at least the extensive (and very knowledgeable) forum community will continue.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good for him I guess shame for us. I think its been around since about 1998.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

One wonders if the OOPTB know about this Patreon thing.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:12 am One wonders if the OOPTB know about this Patreon thing.
There are downsides.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Meal wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:31 am
Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:12 am One wonders if the OOPTB know about this Patreon thing.
There are downsides.
A 10% haircut is a pretty big downside.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

First Gone Gold, now this!!!
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Reminds me of when Anand left Anandtech to go to work for Apple. But at least that site continues; albeit with a very different vibe/passion and not at all what is was a few years back.

I wonder if [H]ardOCP getting black-balled by Nvidia, after their expose, has taken the fun out of it.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:06 pm Reminds me of when Anand left Anandtech to go to work for Apple. But at least that site continues; albeit with a very different vibe/passion and not at all what is was a few years back.

I wonder if [H]ardOCP getting black-balled by Nvidia, after their expose, has taken the fun out of it.
The forums over there are a shadow of what they used to be. Both Anandtech and HardOCP were great places years ago. I spent a huge amount of time there.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni