Transfer files PC to Android without a cable?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Transfer files PC to Android without a cable?

Post by Blackhawk »

I've got a stack of files - a couple hundred - that I need moved in folders to my Galaxy S7. The problem is that every time I plug the phone in for the past year, it goes nuts and insists that there is moisture in the port (there is not.) I had to buy a wireless charger just to use the *#& thing. This is, apparently, a known issue with the S7.

I tried Dropbox, but the option to transfer folders is only for subscribers. I could transfer the files, but I can't choose where they go, and I can't keep the folder structure intact. I have no desire to re-sort hundreds of files by hand from within Android.

I looked at some wifi options, but they are all extremely limited without paying a fee.

Any options to do what should be the simplest damned thing in the world?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Re: Transfer files PC to Android without a cable?

Post by Isgrimnur »

This might be worth looking at.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:20 am I've got a stack of files - a couple hundred - that I need moved in folders to my Galaxy S7. The problem is that every time I plug the phone in for the past year, it goes nuts and insists that there is moisture in the port (there is not.) I had to buy a wireless charger just to use the *#& thing. This is, apparently, a known issue with the S7.

I tried Dropbox, but the option to transfer folders is only for subscribers. I could transfer the files, but I can't choose where they go, and I can't keep the folder structure intact. I have no desire to re-sort hundreds of files by hand from within Android.

I looked at some wifi options, but they are all extremely limited without paying a fee.

Any options to do what should be the simplest damned thing in the world?
You should be able to do it fairly easily using either AirDroid or Pushbullet.

Just follow the relevant instructions in the second or third section listed here.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Google drive

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

On Android, I used to have an app called WiFi File Explorer or something like that. Once it's turned on, it's basically its own WiFi file server. Login via the web browser (specific IP address and port, then login and password) and you can drag/drop files as needed at wifi speeds. Didn't have use for it, nowadays, but it's an option.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... xplorerPRO
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:20 am
I tried Dropbox, but the option to transfer folders is only for subscribers.
When did they change this? Is it only affecting Android or is it folders overall across devices? I work on a website dedicated to a yearly event in which I receive many pictures via folders after said event in order to create a photo gallery, so you can guess that keeping them in folders is important. I never got any notice from Dropbox of any change like this, which is a major change. On the other hand, the images are shared via shared folders, so I'm not sure if that changed.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti