Any 3D Printer dabblers out here?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

Re: Any 3D Printer dabblers out here?

Post by hentzau »

Finished. Man, this was a beast of a print.

Now I need to finish cleaning and then glue together the appropriate parts.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Formix

Post by Formix »

Nice Hentzau! The Snapmaker is super appealing . . . but a bit spendy for me.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My mouse button has been hovering over the "Buy" button on an AnyCubic Photon and Wash and Cure Station for about a week now. They're having an anniversary going on for the next 5 days, and I can get the pair for about $200 off.

(And right after I posted this, I checked the status of my Creality CR6-SE and it's sitting in the UPS sorting facility in the south suburbs...)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was looking at Creality's LD-002R resin printer... $200. Print area is pretty small, basically a 119x65x160mm area, i.e. size of a 5.5 inch LCD screen. But it seems it'd be PLENTY for miniatures?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:03 pm I was looking at Creality's LD-002R resin printer... $200. Print area is pretty small, basically a 119x65x160mm area, i.e. size of a 5.5 inch LCD screen. But it seems it'd be PLENTY for miniatures?
I have looked at the LD-002R, and the specs are similar. And I do like the extra filtration in the LD-002R.

But the bundle cost with the wash and cure station on the Anycubic Photon is what keeps me going back to it...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just in case someone's interested, Humble 3d Printable Models Bundle.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:Just in case someone's interested, Humble 3d Printable Models Bundle.
Already picked it up. I may have a 3D model problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hentzau wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:47 pm
Blackhawk wrote:Just in case someone's interested, Humble 3d Printable Models Bundle.
Dont feel bad. I think i have hundreds (if not over 1000) 3d models from various places including tons of Kickstarters that havent even been downloaded yet.
I also have a new 3D printer on the way...ish..
I backed the Snapmker 2.0 KS and got a label notice and it "looks" 1 of the 2 boxes (I ordered the printer and their enclosure so its one of those 2) to on the way. The other one was still in label created status but if i understand the KS update theu just released if a label is generated it means my stuff is in California and just a matter of them putting the label on the box and giving it to ups
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Punisher wrote:
hentzau wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:47 pm
Dont feel bad. I think i have hundreds (if not over 1000) 3d models from various places including tons of Kickstarters that havent even been downloaded yet.
I also have a new 3D printer on the way...ish..
I backed the Snapmker 2.0 KS and got a label notice and it "looks" 1 of the 2 boxes (I ordered the printer and their enclosure so its one of those 2) to on the way. The other one was still in label created status but if i understand the KS update theu just released if a label is generated it means my stuff is in California and just a matter of them putting the label on the box and giving it to ups
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I ordered an Anycubic Photon...then I unordered it and then ordered a Photon Mono. Should be here early October.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Box 1 showed up the other day and of course, it was the enclosure and not the printer itself. The box is HUGE and I was not expecting it to be that big.
Box 2 is scheduled for delivery for today so I'm hoping it's the actual printer and not a 2nd part of the enclosure.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Woot was having a Creality sale. Make that "was".
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My Photon Mono and Wash and Cure station is due to be here by end of day tomorrow. Now, I need to find a spot to put them...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kids love bunkbeds...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

Does anyone print with PETG? I just picked some up but I'm finding it much more finicky than PLA. I thought it would work well for holders for my track saw since it is meant to be stronger, but it is just printing inconsistently so far.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Fishy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:08 pm Does anyone print with PETG? I just picked some up but I'm finding it much more finicky than PLA. I thought it would work well for holders for my track saw since it is meant to be stronger, but it is just printing inconsistently so far.
Only tried to print ABS once and it never worked.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

hentzau wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:22 pm Only tried to print ABS once and it never worked.
Same here, I tried ABS when I got my printer, but switched to PLA right away. I'm still using an old Rostock Max v2 though, so it might just be time to upgrade to something with automatic z calibration.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Well, despite ordering a liter of eco resin with the printer, it did not come with the printer. Now I have no resin and no isopropyl alcohol. :evil:

So far this is the slowest printer I've every tried. :)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Both resin and alcohol arrived last night. First test print came out great (except the base snapped off because I was a dope and didn’t thoroughly dry the bottom before curing and it stuck to the curing station. )

Have a Captain Nemo mini in there right now. We’ll see what we’ve got in about 2.5 hours.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Damn, that's impressive.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

First mini. Captain Nemo. I’m going to throw a hero forge created mini on it next.

Formix

Post by Formix »

Still trying to get my Elegoo Saturn to 100%. There's quite a learning curve with washing, curing, slicing, etc. Loving it so far, though, and have had a few really cool prints come out well.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Formix wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:46 am Still trying to get my Elegoo Saturn to 100%. There's quite a learning curve with washing, curing, slicing, etc. Loving it so far, though, and have had a few really cool prints come out well.
Formix, where are you doing your printing? I had to shut mine down because the smell started to get to me. I'm going to try and get some plant-based resin soon, and I got an air cleaner, but I really have nowhere other than down in my game room/office for this to go.

I'm thinking I made a mistake in getting the Mono, I should have gotten the Mono SE because it's more enclosed and has a built in carbon air filter.
Formix

Post by Formix »

I'm printing in the Garage. But you're right, the smell has me worried, so I've been opening the Garage door as much as possible, but with Fall coming on, that's going to be a nonstarter soon. I got the little Elegoo Carbon filters but haven't tried them yet. I have something I want to print today, so I'll try that out. After that, my plan was to put everything in a cabinet, fig it with an exhaust fan, and put a dryer duct and outdoor dryer vent flap over the garage door. It means drilling a 3-ish inch hole in my house, so I'm thinking about that one a little longer before I actually do it.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

So I’m loving this Anycubic Mono so much that I’ve decided to upgrade to the Mono SE. I will probably be putting the Mono up for sale if anyone is interested. Won’t be for at least 6 weeks though.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Found a use for my busted-ass Creality CR-6 printer...

UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

hentzau wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:11 pm So I’m loving this Anycubic Mono so much that I’ve decided to upgrade to the Mono SE. I will probably be putting the Mono up for sale if anyone is interested. Won’t be for at least 6 weeks though.
I see the proton is going for $170. How is the slicing software that comes with it. I have a Flash forge dreamer that works great. I like flash forges slicing software.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

UsulofDoom wrote:
hentzau wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:11 pm So I’m loving this Anycubic Mono so much that I’ve decided to upgrade to the Mono SE. I will probably be putting the Mono up for sale if anyone is interested. Won’t be for at least 6 weeks though.
I see the proton is going for $170. How is the slicing software that comes with it. I have a Flash forge dreamer that works great. I like flash forges slicing software.
It’s ok. If you start dabbling in resin printing you’re looking at brand new slicing software (except Prusa, I think.) chitubox is the top SLA slicing software out there now, but it doesn’t output in the proper save file format (yet) so you’re stuck using the Photon slicer.

I’m still going to put my mono up for sale after the holidays. Probably around $180+shipping if you can wait (and don’t mind gently used...)
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

I have 99% alcohol on order ,but it could be 2 weeks be fore it arrives. Around here it not available or very expensive. Could I use 70% that I have until the 99% comes in? Just rinse longer.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW, I have no trouble finding bottles on 91% at Wal-Mart in the first aid section that I use for painting tasks.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

UsulofDoom wrote:I have 99% alcohol on order ,but it could be 2 weeks be fore it arrives. Around here it not available or very expensive. Could I use 70% that I have until the 99% comes in? Just rinse longer.
I’ve heard differing reports on the effectiveness of 70%. Haven’t tried it myself, so no real data. I did see a can of 91% at my local hardware store the other day, but it was pricey.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

In case anyone is interested, Woot has some 3D Printers as well as accessories on sale (enclosures, filament, etc.)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.