Choosing a New Monitor? Do I even need one?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Choosing a New Monitor? Do I even need one?

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have a 17 inch laptop which I used to run dual monitor (with a pretty generic LG 24 inch) until I got my new gaming PC (i7/RTX2070). Right now I have the 24 inch on the new gaming PC, and using single keyboard/mouse to control both.

However, I was thinking about retiring the laptop altogether and either run a second monitor on the new PC, or replace the generic 1080p LG monitor with a more "gaming" monitor (larger, ultrawide, both?)

The problem is I don't have the desk space to put a second monitor on the desk... Unless I reorganize the desk completely, But that's something I should have done...

I don't really want to spend more than 500. more like 300.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
naednek

Re: Choosing a New Monitor? Do I even need one?

Post by naednek »

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

All the new monitors are coming out soon, so inventory is pretty low everywhere. I'm mostly looking for a 4K primary monitor, so I'm gonna wait for the new models. For a secondary, it might be a great time to get a good deal.

A second monitor will be awesome. I'm looking forward to getting one myself, if I can.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
naednek

Post by naednek »

check this one out, it's even better than the one I originally listed

https://slickdeals.net/f/13063507-lg-32 ... ommentsBox
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:22 am
The problem is I don't have the desk space to put a second monitor on the desk... Unless I reorganize the desk completely, But that's something I should have done...

Man, I had a whole thing written up earlier that I thought I'd posted, but I have no idea where it went. Short version: If you like AMD, get a FreeSync monitor. If you like Nvidia, get either a Gsync or a Gsync compatible FreeSync. You can get either within your budget.

Second, I also have two monitors and lack of desk space. I use these. They assemble quickly, mounting them is easy, and they effectively lower your monitor footprint to zero. You get your whole desk back.

Last, my post from the Tips post still holds true:
Those of you who followed my thread in General Computing know that my son's computer died recently - motherboard, video card, and monitor all died. His grandmother kindly bought me a new video card and monitor so that I could pass mine down to him. I ended up with a 144Hz G-Sync monitor and a video card that supports the technology. Believe it or not, the change from a standard 60Hz monitor to the 144Hz made an distinct difference. It isn't just nicer, it is smoother. When you turn, the images stays fully in focus for the whole turn, and the turn is smoother. It may not sound like much, but it is like night and day when you're trying to focus on a target and move to it.

One factor to be aware of on a monitor is response time. That's how fast the pixels change from one color to another, and it is one factor that contributes to input lag. A slow response time is why it took so long before LCD monitors replaced CRTs for gaming. Years ago, a 5ms response time was adequate for gaming. For accuracy, you want no more than 2ms, preferably 1ms. The monitor response time combines with the response time from the input hardware and any processing delay to give you your input lag. Again, that's how long it takes from the time you move the mouse to the time the movement registers on-screen. It can add up quick.

It's also important to calibrate your monitor correctly, but that's beyond the scope of this page. Make sure you check into things like overdrive, ghosting, and input lag features on your monitor.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Getting a 32 inch may be out of my budget. Seems my best bang-for-the-buck is still 2 1080p 24 inch monitors ($180 each). I may be able to upgrade them piece meal... A primary gaming monitor and a secondary "business" monitor (my existing one).

My deskspace is messed up right now, mainly because I have one of those "student" computer desk with an integrated hutch, and that limits the size of the setup I can put inside. If I have a regular office desk I wouldn't have this problem.

EDIT: The prices fluctuate greatly. *sigh*

It seems I need to get a G-sync compatible Freesync, and there's only a limited number of them. As I don't plan to game more than 1080p at the moment, and desk space seems to be more important to me, I think my best plan is to upgrade piece meal.

There's the Acer XFA240, 1080p, 1ms, Freesync (certified G-sync compatible) up to 144 Hz, only $180 on Amazon. It's even VESA mount compatible, so if I need monitor arm I can get one later. I'll use that as the primary, and my existing LG 24EN33 as the secondary. The laptop will probably live on as some sort of a server if I can find a shelf for it.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:12 am Getting a 32 inch may be out of my budget. Seems my best bang-for-the-buck is still 2 1080p 24 inch monitors ($180 each). I may be able to upgrade them piece meal... A primary gaming monitor and a secondary "business" monitor (my existing one).

My deskspace is messed up right now, mainly because I have one of those "student" computer desk with an integrated hutch, and that limits the size of the setup I can put inside. If I have a regular office desk I wouldn't have this problem.

EDIT: The prices fluctuate greatly. *sigh*

It seems I need to get a G-sync compatible Freesync, and there's only a limited number of them. As I don't plan to game more than 1080p at the moment, and desk space seems to be more important to me, I think my best plan is to upgrade piece meal.

There's the Acer XFA240, 1080p, 1ms, Freesync (certified G-sync compatible) up to 144 Hz, only $180 on Amazon. It's even VESA mount compatible, so if I need monitor arm I can get one later. I'll use that as the primary, and my existing LG 24EN33 as the secondary. The laptop will probably live on as some sort of a server if I can find a shelf for it.
did you not see my two posts? The monitor(s) i listed is cheaper than buying the two 1080p monitors.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I did. 300 or so for 27 inch is not bad. But as I have an existing 24 inch, I figure I'll stick with ONE 24 inch for now and keep my other 24 inch for dual. I can game on the gaming one. Later, when I need to put up another monitor, I'll put out the LG and buy another gaming monitor (or buy a genuine upgrade monitor at that time).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's worth noting that there is a definite 'sweet spot' when it comes to monitor sizes, unless you're using it from the couch. Sitting at a desk, 24" is just about right for 1080. At 27" is starts to look pixelated (larger monitor, larger pixels,) but you can get away with it if that doesn't bother you. 27" is fine for 1440. For 4k you can go a little bigger, but anything beyond 27" really isn't designed for desktop viewing. You don't look and see what's on your monitor so much as you have to look around your monitor for information. To put it another way, let's say the health bars and minimap are in opposite corners. On a 27" monitor they are in the corner of your eye and you can stay aware of them while you're focused on the center of the screen. Once you start going above 27" (and the next standard size is 32"), the health bars and minimap are too far away when you're focused on the action. 32" and above are best suited to people who primarily use their monitors from a distance or use them primarily to watch videos.

Upgrading monitors generally means upgrading the underlying tech (response time, black level, new techs like GSync, 144hz, etc), not upgrading the size.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:16 am I did. 300 or so for 27 inch is not bad. But as I have an existing 24 inch, I figure I'll stick with ONE 24 inch for now and keep my other 24 inch for dual. I can game on the gaming one. Later, when I need to put up another monitor, I'll put out the LG and buy another gaming monitor (or buy a genuine upgrade monitor at that time).
Doesn't look like you did read, as both monitors are 32 inch and are selling for $300, which is what you listed as your budget. Keep misreading you're gonna miss out on the deal :P
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, they are both 5 ms GTG.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:57 pm All the new monitors are coming out soon, so inventory is pretty low everywhere. I'm mostly looking for a 4K primary monitor, so I'm gonna wait for the new models. For a secondary, it might be a great time to get a good deal.

A second monitor will be awesome. I'm looking forward to getting one myself, if I can.
Samsung 28 inch 4k 1ms monitor, refurb

https://computers.woot.com/offers/samsu ... cnt_wp_1_6
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:49 pm FWIW, they are both 5 ms GTG.
yep, and from the reviews I read, they don't see any issues with gaming.

Mine gets delivered today... I'll let you know.
naednek

Post by naednek »

It's beautiful. Haven't played any games yet, but did a benchmark on tombraider. Got about 30 fps but that's due to my video card being a 970. That's my next purchase next month.

Trying to get gsync to work, but the option isn't showing. It's not officially supported but it's supposed to work from posts i've seen.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Right after I ordered the $180 monitor on Amazon, did Dell put a similar monitor on sale for $150... ARGH!!!!!!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finally got the dual monitor arm and the new monitor installed. Took a ceiling cave-in to get me off my butt and moved rooms and desk. Now I just need to get my bed moved...

Now it's two 24 inch side by side.

The monitor was immediately recognized by the 2070 as a GSYNC compatible. Though it may be due to I plugged it in with the right cable. (There are like 4-5 ports on the back of my 2070)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3oGNrkMW7orV5m1x8
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, finally got NVIDIA surround screen spanning enabled. Now both games and windows see the two monitors as a single display. It's kinda weird playing DIRT 4 with it. I think I need to enable bevel compensation or something. Don't have time to look that up right now.

EDIT: Going back to normal dual screen. It's hard to play games with a huge bevel blank spot in the middle.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My monitors are doing something weird.

I got my dual monitor setup properly, old LG on DVI-D, and the new Acer G-SYNC on DisplayPort. it worked fine for couple days. I even tried surround spanning. Put it back to normal dual screen.

Then when I rebooted tonight, I lost dual screen. LG is working fine. The Acer didn't work. WTF?

Tried all THREE Display Ports, none worked. I moved the DVI cable to the Acer, it works fine. So now there are three choices: DP cable died, DP port on video card died, or DP port on monitor died. WTF...

Chances of all three ports failing on the video card is practically zero when the DVI port works fine. I can only conclude that somehow, the DP port or DP cable failed. :-P After only a few days. WTF indeed.

EDIT: the ports in the back are 3 DP1.4 ports and 1 HDMI port (which I converted to DVI-D with a cable).
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Disabled G-SYNC, now I got both working again. WEIRD... Guess I don't get that 144 Hz refresh...