Is it worth renewing Malwarebytes for my Lenovo Android tablet?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Is it worth renewing Malwarebytes for my Lenovo Android tablet?

Post by jztemple2 »

A year ago I got a subscription for Malwarebytes antivirus for my Lenovo Android tablet. In that entire year I've never seen it flag a single issue. It's now due again, about $13 for another year. I use my tablet to run Chrome to check email, visit the same few sites (including this one) and have a few basic apps like Microsoft Office, Kindle and Feedly. It is not my main device, just what I use when on the road for our vacations and when sitting in my easy chair. Is it worth renewing again? I'm just wondering if having a paid antivirus on my tablet is overkill. Thanks for any inputs.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Is it worth renewing Malwarebytes for my Lenovo Android tablet?

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

No.

I would tend to agree with the following assessment from ExtremeTech.com:
ExtremeTech.com wrote:The Scare Tactics

In the most recent report from AV-Comparatives, we learned that most of the antivirus apps on Android don’t even do anything to check apps for malicious behavior. They just use white/blacklists to flag apps, which is ineffective and makes them little more than advertising platforms with some fake buttons. Shocking and upsetting, right? They can get away with it because true Android viruses that take over your device are not as common as you’d expect. “Malware” can encompass milder threats like apps that harvest personal information or trigger pop-up ads.

Android and other mobile platforms have their roots in the modern era when programmers understood the dangers of the internet. We’ve all been programmed what to expect by PC malware, which can sneak onto your system simply because you visited the wrong website with a vulnerable browser. These “drive-by downloads” aren’t feasible on Android without a pre-existing infection. On Android, you have to physically tap on a notification to install an APK downloaded from a source outside the Play Store. Even then, there are security settings that need to be manually bypassed.

So, what about malware on the Play Store? Again, that depends on what you mean by malware. The most severe security risks will never make it into the store. Google’s platform has the ability to scan for known malware when it’s uploaded. There’s also a human review process in place for anything that looks even a little bit questionable. You might occasionally hear about some “malware” apps in the Play Store, usually related to information harvesting or advertising shenanigans. Google deals with these quickly, but anti-malware apps won’t catch this sort of thing.
Basically, Android antivirus apps are at worst a total scam and at best a drain on resources with useless notifications and pop-ups. If you keep your downloads limited to the Google Play Store and other 100% trustworthy sources, that ought to keep you safe from almost every significant Android malware threat out there.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Re: Is it worth renewing Malwarebytes for my Lenovo Android tablet?

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks, that's good info. And I can use the money I save on games!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold