Getting familiar with a Chromebook?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Getting familiar with a Chromebook?

Post by jztemple2 »

Sometime this fall our tax organization is switching from Win10 laptops to Chromebooks and being the tech guy people assume I know about these things. However, I've never owned or even played with a Chromebook. However, I do have a Lenovo Android tablet (Amazon page). How much is a Chromebook like my tablet?

Also, is there a site somewhere that allows me to tinker around with a virtual Chrome OS? I've seen several sites that walk you through installing Chrome OS in a Virtualbox, but I'm looking for something for my non-techie wife to just load in a browser and play with a bit.

Finally, she was told that she can't load Windows docs on a Chromebook, but being non-techie, she's not sure what that meant. Does this mean Chrome OS doesn't have a version of Microsoft Word?

It occurs to me as I write this that I really need to do some more research on Chrome OS. Is there a Chrome OS 101 out there someone would recommend?

Thanks for any and all help!!! :wub:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Re: Getting familiar with a Chromebook?

Post by coopasonic »

You probably want to use G Suite, Google's office knock-off, on a chromebook.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Random speculation, but Office 365, since it’s all cloud-based, might be a solution to the No Microsoft issue.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Live-booting the Chromium OS from a USB flash drive is perhaps the simplest way to tinker around with the Chromebook OS without installing anything.

Also, here's a decent Chromebook guide that you may find useful.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the replies. I'll give the methods a try.

We have contacted our higher ups to see if we can get one of the new Chromebooks released to tinker with them, so fingers crossed we won't have to wait for a few days before training begins before we see the actual product we are going to use.

Also we are being told that these will be modified Chromebooks, but no one seems to be able to say exactly how they are modified, except that it is supposedly to make them more secure and also tailored for our tax work. We shall see... :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Seeing as Chromebooks use the G-Suite, you might want to try loading a word doc into the Google Docs, or whatever it's called now. I know that in the past, I was able to open a doc with it by first uploading it and having it convert it. They don't support the doc format in terms of usability, but they'll be able to convert it to their own format.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stessier

Post by stessier »

The phrasing might mean that you physically can't load the document on the Chromebook - most don't have drives for that. It's basically a glorified web browser and everything is online. The one my daughter uses for school works really well, though.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:32 pm Finally, she was told that she can't load Windows docs on a Chromebook, but being non-techie, she's not sure what that meant. Does this mean Chrome OS doesn't have a version of Microsoft Word?
I do PC support and I'm not sure what that means. As stess states, it's possibly more likely that it means that you won't be storing files on your chromebook. I'm no expert. We have one chromebook in our office for it's tablet features for projection purposes and it has the option to boot to a separate Windows 10 installation. It's considerably more expensive than what you will be using, I'm sure.

I assume there is going to be a map for what you can use and how you can use it when they rollout the workstations. I also assume that managers who know what you do have signed off on change. Those are big assumes. They're the assumes I sometimes have to fight for before making large changes to the resources I am responsible for.
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:45 pm Also we are being told that these will be modified Chromebooks, but no one seems to be able to say exactly how they are modified, except that it is supposedly to make them more secure and also tailored for our tax work. We shall see... :roll:
As it should be. Google is synonymous with being a security sieve. It's the trade off you get for ease of use/customization.

I'm surprised that they aren't piloting with a non business critical function before disrupting your everything. Or perhaps they are and you just aren't in the loop.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

They do have limited storage space for documents and apps, but it does heavily rely on the use of cloud-based browser systems for the rest.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Heh, we were just trying to set up skype on a chromebook. Even through the browser, chromebook would have none of it (though it took to Zoom with no problems). The failure had me wondering if I could set up Skype for Android on it. We ended up going to Windows 10 but this choice disgruntled all of the "chrome is easier than MS" proponents who wanted to spend more of my after hours time helping them with they're better and easier way of doing things in an uncontrolled environment.
Anonymous Bosch

LordMortis wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:42 am Heh, we were just trying to set up skype on a chromebook. Even through the browser, chromebook would have none of it (though it took to Zoom with no problems). The failure had me wondering if I could set up Skype for Android on it. We ended up going to Windows 10 but this choice disgruntled all of the "chrome is easier than MS" proponents who wanted to spend more of my after hours time helping them with they're better and easier way of doing things in an uncontrolled environment.
Assuming you're working with a modern Chromebook, you should be able to get the Skype Android app running on a Chromebook without much effort.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:57 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:42 am Heh, we were just trying to set up skype on a chromebook. Even through the browser, chromebook would have none of it (though it took to Zoom with no problems). The failure had me wondering if I could set up Skype for Android on it. We ended up going to Windows 10 but this choice disgruntled all of the "chrome is easier than MS" proponents who wanted to spend more of my after hours time helping them with they're better and easier way of doing things in an uncontrolled environment.
Assuming you're working with a modern Chromebook, you should be able to get the Skype Android app running on a Chromebook without much effort.
I don't know what modern is. I didn't buy the thing. It's a Whiteboard that is about two years old with a dual boot. I have no idea how old of a model was before they bought it. I control the Windows OS. I don't have good controls on the chromebook nor the frame of reference to know what good controls are. I don't allow it on anything other than guest network. :oops: I just assumed android stuff would work but if I break I have no concept of how to fix it.
Anonymous Bosch

LordMortis wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:32 pm I don't know what modern is. I didn't buy the thing. It's a Whiteboard that is about two years old with a dual boot. I have no idea how old of a model was before they bought it. I control the Windows OS. I don't have good controls on the chromebook nor the frame of reference to know what good controls are. I don't allow it on anything other than guest network. :oops: I just assumed android stuff would work but if I break I have no concept of how to fix it.
Here's a list of the Chromebooks with Android app support, FWIW. Though you're really not at any risk of breaking anything if you try installing the Android Skype app. Here are the relevant instructions from the linked article above:
While Skype isn’t included out of the box, most modern Chromebooks now support Android apps, and that means you can simply fire up Google Play and download it!
  1. Head to the Google Play app and search for Skype.
  2. Follow the basic installation instructions.
  3. Once it’s installed you should find Skype in the app drawer (that little circle to the bottom left).
  4. Open up the app, login and that’s it!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Speaking of Chromebooks, my regular ancient Dell XPS 17 (1st gen) laptop won't stay on, and I'm not really about to buy a new battery for it just to try it out. I figure I need something portable with a relatively large screen (at least 14, if not 15.6) but no game playing, as it'd be the backup for web browser, and if I ever want to write stuff, mobile writing. And I need a machine to troubleshoot my routers and needs an ethernet connection, and I can do that with a laptop and ethernet adapter instead of lugging a desktop and a monitor around.

So, what do you guys recommend for

* Under $200
* On Amazon
* 14 or 15.6 screen
* 4GB/32GB
* Refurb/Renew/Used is fine

Which CPU (intel vs ARM) has more apps? Not that I'll be using too many of them.

(My other related post in General Computing)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Most Chromebooks are in the 14-15" range, although you can get them in 17" ranges too, but they're a lot rarer in terms of models being offered. Years ago when my Mom was looking for a Chromebook, she wanted something bigger than 15" after being frustrated with her 15" Windows machine. She ended up getting a well-built Acer machine with surprisingly good built-in speakers.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:32 pm Sometime this fall our tax organization is switching from Win10 laptops to Chromebooks and being the tech guy people assume I know about these things.
The problem has been solved, indirectly. The wife has quit that tax organization and since I was only providing tech support because she was there, I've left it too. Her new gig will be using provided Win10 machines and hey, I'm not even needed for tech support :D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am starting to think maybe I should just buy an old refurb business laptop (even one with Win7) as my backup machine...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Why would you want Windows 7? It is going out of support in about 3 months. Unless you plan on never connecting the thing to the internet...
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:02 am Why would you want Windows 7? It is going out of support in about 3 months. Unless you plan on never connecting the thing to the internet...
Well, I'm pretty sure it'll still let you update it to Win 10 for free.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:02 am Why would you want Windows 7? It is going out of support in about 3 months. Unless you plan on never connecting the thing to the internet...
I can always dual-boot it with a small Linux Distro or erase it and start over. Don't plan to run anything serious on it.

I've looked around a bit. A full Win10 licensed machine are either crappy (basically a Chromebook that runs Windows 10S, the "streamlined" version that does NOT allow manual install of apps or any third-party app stores), or goes over $250 if I want something with decent specs. *sigh* Thus, buy refurb.

There was a Win8 tablet on Swappa that looked interesting (A Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140). Except it doesn't have an Ethernet port either. *sigh*
Anonymous Bosch

Just install Ubuntu on a Chromebook and use a USB Ethernet adapter, and you'll have a significantly more secure and capable system than an obsolete refurb Win 7 laptop.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I can install Ubuntu on the Win7 machine too. Heck, I can dual boot it with Ubuntu. The only advantage would be slightly newer hardware, but not necessarily better performing.

Still, I like the idea of a Chromebook. *sigh*
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

There really isn't all that much to learn about the Chromebook as far as the OS goes. It's more about what you can and can't do with it due to it being mostly web-based, but other than than it's very similar to Windows in terms of UI. Most of them now have access to Google Play for the apps. The nice things about Chromebooks is that they're fairly lean. Hardly any bloat to get in the way of quick performance.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Looks like best bang for the buck at the moment is HP Chromebook 14 / A4-9120C, which is based on AMD A4, instead of Intel Celeron, though the price advantage is only a few dollars. it's right around $150 renewed, but Lenovo S330 is same size, and roughly same price, albeit based on Mediatek ARM CPU instead of X86 also renewed. Add a laptop sleeve and the Ethernet adapter...

The problem is ordering the right adapter. Some of these have USB3-TypeA, some have USB3 Type C ports. *sigh* I think I'll hold off on that purchase.

OTOH, there *is* a Chrome tablet in this price range... Refurb Acer Chromebook Tab 10 for $170, ARM, 4GB RAM, 32GB storage, no keyboard and stuff to get in the way. As I said, I have mouse and keyboard to go with it. Only one Type C port though.

*sigh* Maybe I should just forget the whole thing and just get an OTG Ethernet adapter for my old Nexus 7 (albeit, with a failing MicroUSB port)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

So.much.sighing!
stessier

Post by stessier »

At this point, wait until Black Friday and you could probably get something brand new in the same price range.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Agreed. Keeping an eye on Best Buy. Turns out they have some decent deals there. There's an Acer refurb 14 inch laptop (Celeron / 4GB RAM / 64GB SSD) for $152 (142 on sale). Their prices are actually lower than Woot on some items (albeit only by a few bucks / few percent).
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Was just browsing Dell when I noticed they have a 2-in-1 11 inch touchscreen Chromebook for $199 (4GB RAM / 32GB eMMC) and it's new, not refurb.

Or I can can get the same machine, refurb, with double the storage (64GB eMMC) for $205. The refurb 32GB is 196.

They are not 1080p, but not expected to be for power and other reasons. Doubt I can find any other 2-1 cheaper. Dell's Black Friday ads already posted, no Chromebooks. They will have a Dell Inspiron 14 on sale, but it'll have the super-limited Win10 "S-mode" (i.e. Microsoft app store only) and super low specs, for $140. *sigh*

EDIT: Found the HP equivalent "renewed" 4/32 Convertible, with slightly slower CPU on Amazon for less.

Okay, this is definitely cheapest deal around that has the specs I want: Ace Chromebook Convertible 2-in-1 11.6 in IPS screen / 4 GB RAM / 32 GB eMMC / MediaTek ARM quad-core CPU. I think the listing goofed up the actual model number though, as the specs on the Acer website doesn't match the description on Amazon. But at $119, which is MUCH like 30% off the next cheapest, is there a reason to hesitate? EDIT2: It probably only has 16GB eMMC, which would explain the cheapness. But I can put a microSD card in it, and there's always cloud storage.

EDIT3: It's 11.6 IPS screen, 4GB RAM 16GB eMMC convertible with Intel CPU, not Mediatek. Whoever wrote the listing cribbed it from 3 different products and it's a total mess that doesn't match anything. Now I need to get an Ethernet adapter...
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got the Chromebook in. As expected, I have some getting used to the little thing. It's small, it feels like a heavy tablet, if I fold the keyboard back, and it's good so far. Kinda hard to get used to the tiny 11.6 screen as I'm running dual 24's as my desktop. Hahaha. And yes, it's a touchscreen. And my little travel mouse works too (it's all a matter of finding the right menu)
JCC

Post by JCC »

I gave the (original) Samsung Chromebook Plus a try for about 10 days or so when it was relatively new. I was thoroughly impressed by the utility of Chrome OS, and whenever my parents decide to buy a new laptop or pc (if they do - they may just stick with iPads which is fine) I will push them hard to a chromebook. (In fact given their propensity at "breaking" Windows, I may refuse to offer them support if they don't follow my advice.)

Ultimately, while I liked the chromebook very much, I was seduced by the idea of the same form factor on a PC. So I first tried a (cheap and old) Surface 3. I loved its form factor, but it was just too sluggish. I ended up getting a 2 in 1 Windows Laptop (an early 2018 Lenovo Yoga 730). I have loved it since then. It's my main computer/personal device at home now. (Obviously, not for gaming.)

Anyway, my point is I think chromebooks are perfect laptops/portable tablet like devices for the vast majority of people. And, I think investing a little bit (ie. $4-500) gets you all you need given it's such a light weight OS with minimal storage needs due to the cloud storage you get. Having so many Android apps available is a nice bonus.

Unless you are a power user and just can't use one without Windows or are a Mac person - I think they are a no brainer.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Typical of my buying impulse... Two weeks after I bought the exact model for $119, it's on Woot for $99. :D