Computer boots with dead USB ports... sometimes. What's up?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Computer boots with dead USB ports... sometimes. What's up?

Post by Holman »

This summer I built four computers, and so far all of them have been splendid.

The first one I built, though, has recently developed a habit of booting up with a non functional mouse, keyboard, and modem, all of which are USB attached. Nothing works when I plug these items into different ports.

If I turn the computer off and back on, it will probably do the same thing again--except when it doesn't. Once or twice it has rebooted with everything (i.e. all the USB items) perfectly fine.

I assume the problem lies in the drivers or the BIOS or something rather than in the mechanical USB connections, but who knows?

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problem? Is there a way to get around it?

Right now the machine is in the habit of rebooting with no keyboard/mouse/modem functionality, and this (because no no keyboard) makes it hard to boot into BIOS or safe mode.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
UsulofDoom

Re: Computer boots with dead USB ports... sometimes. What's up?

Post by UsulofDoom »

If your not plugged directly in to the mother board USB connections ,check the cables to the mother board.

It should come up with out loading your operating system to get into bios.

Have you swapped keyboard and mouse or tried just keyboard only?
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

not saying this could be your situation, but i've had this happen to me when i had a short (bad grounding) in the case.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

I have this once every 50 boots, sometimes I even have to switch off the powersupply to get it reset. Learned to live with it.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Testing again today. Thanks for the replies!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Zitterbacke wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:13 am I have this once every 50 boots, sometimes I even have to switch off the powersupply to get it reset. Learned to live with it.
Interestingly, after several reboots yesterday with never a good one (i.e. one that gave me active USBs), I just now switched off the power supply and then (after waiting a minute) turned it back on and booted. This time everything is working properly. Coincidence?

Anyway, now that Ive got a working mouse, keyboard, and modem, can anyone think of any tests or updates I should run to try to test/fix this?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Did you look for BIOS and driver updates? Motherboard firmware update maybe?

You mentioned it, I'm not sure of you tried it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Z-Corn wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:13 pm Did you look for BIOS and driver updates? Motherboard firmware update maybe?

Motherboard is up to date, and BIOS as of late June. I'll look and see if there have been later updates.

Does it seem likely that this is a BIOS/driver thing?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Holman wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:18 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:13 pm Did you look for BIOS and driver updates? Motherboard firmware update maybe?

Motherboard is up to date, and BIOS as of late June. I'll look and see if there have been later updates.

Does it seem likely that this is a BIOS/driver thing?
At work we just had a massive problem (thanks Lenovo!) with laptops not recognizing USB after booting in a dock. A dock firmware upgrade fixed the problem. Which was actually a Thunderbolt problem on the laptop...

So not at all the same issue as yours, but it never hurts to have all that low level stuff updated.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I was *so* sure that I had followed up with this issue. Sorry.

In the end, It seems like it probably was static buildup. I turned off the power supply, waited a bit, touched the metal parts of the computer (including the motherboard backplate) to discharge static, and then turned it back on and booted up. Everything was was fine, and has been so for weeks.

(Does this perhaps mean that the little metal prongs on the backplate covering motherboard connections are not making enough contact, or something?)
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

It will creep back on you. It does on me. Just once in a while. I have to kneel in the dust and reach behind the computer, like the bastard wants me to.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Zitterbacke wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:57 pm It will creep back on you. It does on me. Just once in a while. I have to kneel in the dust and reach behind the computer, like the bastard wants me to.
So.... you are saying you give it a reach-around every so often? Good to know. Good to know.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You know, I've started having the same thing happen to me. It's very strange. I've never had any such issue until last week, and it happened again today and it's fine after another reboot. I kind of have to wonder if it's due to one of the monthly Windows updates.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

I'm having it at the BIOS post phase, so not even Linux or Windows involved at that time.