Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

What password manager would you recommend?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

stessier

What password manager would you recommend?

Post by stessier »

I did a search and the most recent thread is about 2 years old. So what are people using these days? I need something that work with Android.

Also, how would something like this work on a Roku device? Would I just have to bite the bullet and enter the crazy passwords by hand?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles

Anonymous Bosch

Re: What password manager would you recommend?

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

KeePass 2.x because it's open-source and one of the best-known and most widely trusted Password Managers around. I also prefer being able to keep track of my passphrases myself rather than using a cloud service that relies on the integrity of a company to maintain my privacy (at least while the company remains in business). The wide variety of available KeePass Plugins are also mighty handy. For example, the Readable Passphrase Generator allows you to generate passphrases that are (mostly) grammatically correct but completely random and nonsensical, as famously illustrated by XKCD:

Enlarge Image

So they're easier to enter (for humans) yet highly secure and difficult to guess (for humans and computers). Which helps simplify the process of entering a passphrase on your Roku, for example.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've only used LastPass. It works fine on Android and Windows (the platforms that I have). Don't believe it'd work on a Roku. Isn't the ONLY way you'd get anything entered into Roku is play with the remote? Does that thing even take a Keyboard? Mine doesn't.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: ADR1FT, Frontier Pilot Simulator

Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

2nd KeePass, but can't say anything about Roku
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Loading…

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:41 pm

Also, how would something like this work on a Roku device? Would I just have to bite the bullet and enter the crazy passwords by hand?
I've noticed that services are starting to use authentication. You log in via phone/of and enter the code that comes up on your device (Roku, Firestick, etc). No password required.

No idea if this happens on Roku.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Yeah, we got a new Roku a couple of months ago, and I think that's how it authenticated.

Blackhawk
Loading…

Post by Blackhawk »

And a 2nd for LastPass.

Either of the two is good. Just look at the differences and go from there.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks, gives me a place to start.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

KeePass doesn't sync, so you need a different way to sync passwords across multiple devices (like DropBox or similar). Lastpass supports more authentication methods like Authenticator (its own, Google's, Authy, or even a hardware device like Yubikey) but LastPass costs money.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: ADR1FT, Frontier Pilot Simulator

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kasey Chang wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:21 pm
KeePass doesn't sync
Incorrect.

KeePass 2.x includes built-in support for Synchronization and KeePass Plugins make it pretty much effortless to use with the vast majority of cloud storage providers such as Dropbox and the like (e.g. KeeAnywhere).

FWIW, BitWarden is another free, open-source end-to-end encrypted Password Manager that makes for a worthy alternative to LastPass.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Should have said it didn't used to sync, and it has no built-in sync METHOD (though it's sync mechanism agnostic)

Blackhawk
Loading…

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:21 pm
KeePass doesn't sync, so you need a different way to sync passwords across multiple devices (like DropBox or similar). Lastpass supports more authentication methods like Authenticator (its own, Google's, Authy, or even a hardware device like Yubikey) but LastPass costs money.
I use LastPass on my laptop, three desktops, my tablet, and my phone. I have never paid a dime.

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I use and am happy with LastPass. I do pay to enjoy some benefits I am no doubt NOT using. Maybe that helps keep it free for others...
Black Lives Matter

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Blackhawk wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:23 pm
I use LastPass on my laptop, three desktops, my tablet, and my phone. I have never paid a dime.
The official word on what's the difference between free plan and paid plan(s)

https://www.lastpass.com/plans

Roman

Post by Roman »

we use Dashlane @ work / home. I like it!
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.

Blackhawk
Loading…

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:01 pm
Blackhawk wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:23 pm
The official word on what's the difference between free plan and paid plan(s)

https://www.lastpass.com/plans
Yep. None of it is anything that I have any real use for, and I doubt most typical users that don't need it at some professional level would, either.

Isgrimnur
Loading…

Post by Isgrimnur »

Work has been using Keeper for a while, and it works pretty well. Vaults are web-accessible, so until they have the inevitable breach, syncing is not an issue.

Oh, and the website is keepersecurity.com, not keeper.com.
Spoiler:
The Leader and Most Trusted & Recognized Name in the Menstrual Cup Industry

Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I bought into a premium LastPass subscription a couple of years ago. Works on multiple computers, Android, iPad, etc. I can share passwords, either open or hidden, with family members so they aren't always asking me the Netflix password.
Not long after joining, my work implemented LastPass for our CIP assets. My corporate account and personal account linked up with no hassle.
The security checkup let's you know where you have weak, compromised, or repeat passwords.

I consider it money well spent. I am running into a few sites that don't allow you to paste into their password field. Sometimes only in the register page, but sometimes in the login screen. I always make it a point to gripe to their feedback address.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Is there a password manager that lets you select what rules you need followed when a new password is generated for you? (Like: "at least one number", "at least one symbol but but not ^*./()[]!", etc.)

I've been pretty happy with Codebook but that's a feature I really wish it had.

TheMix
Loading…

Post by TheMix »

LastPass does that.

Things you can set:
Password length
Easy to say
Easy to read
All characters
Uppercase
Lowercase
Numbers
Symbols
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.