Fundraising for 2020/2021: Currently at $1580. Fundraising has begun, see the global post for options. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Chromebook or ipad for remote learning?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Victoria Raverna

Chromebook or ipad for remote learning?

Post by Victoria Raverna »

My 6th years old daughter is going to start school remotely. Mostly the class will be using zoom. Since I am also working from home, she can't use my PC to join her class.

Which is better? Using a chromebook (like Asus Chromebook Flip C214) or get a cheap iPad?

My daughter is very familiar with iOS/iPadOS since she has been using iPad/iPad mini since 1 year old.

Right now she has an old iPad air are starting to break so need to be replaced if she is going to use iPad for remote learning.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Loading…

Re: Chromebook or ipad for remote learning?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Depends what the school uses/recommends.

Either should be fine for Zoom, comes down to whether they used google classroom or whatever.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Right now either should work fine, but as she gets older and has to produce written work beyond simple sentences, a chromebook is a more productive tool.

Where I teach, our ipads rarely get used for anything other than web browsing or running simple apps. The only time I use them in my classroom is when students silently read. My chrome cart on the other hand, gets used daily by my students.

Of course, I teach 7th grade but I've seen similar usage patterns teaching younger students in my school district.

disarm

Post by disarm »

Definitely Chromebook. They're more versatile than an iPad, with enough functionality to almost be like a full laptop, at are especially good if your school uses Google Classroom. The full keyboard came in handy even for our kindergartener's work because a lot of it was website-based; not all websites play nice with a touchscreen, and for some it's just easier to type on a keyboard. We also bought a cheap bluetooth mouse rather than relying on the touchpad all the time, and it's much better (helping a 6yo drag & drop on a touchpad can be tough). I think the Chromebook has helped our youngest (6yo) develop some general computer-use skills, and it's what our older two have been using in school for a couple years anyway. iPads/tablets are nice, but I really don't think they're best for school work.
*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing - The Witcher 3

Isgrimnur
Loading…

Post by Isgrimnur »

IPads are acceptable for consuming content. They are not, on their own, acceptable for creating content.

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The schools for our kids are using chromebooks I the classrooms for a while now. For the upcoming year, they have advised, if you can purchase a chromebook, please do, otherwise they will provide one.

Several chromebooks are designed with students in mind, features like drop resistance and spill resistant keyboards.

the school is using lenovo 100e I went with a lenovo 300e, becuase it flips around to tablet mode.

But, because of so much remote learning going on, this biz is selling out everywhere.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

My daughter's school system transitioned to Chromebooks from iPads due to cost and durability. She's used one for a couple of years now and it's worked out very well. I think the keyboard was really useful for various assignments and with the iPad unless you shell out some cash you're stuck using the iPad keyboard which I think would become tedious for assignments requiring a lot of typing.
tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

Victoria Raverna

From looking on internet, seem like Zoom doesn't work that well on chromebook.

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Victoria Raverna wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:04 am
Zoom doesn't work well on anything and really ought to be avoided for the reasons explained here:

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster

Victoria Raverna

I can't force the school not to use Zoom.

Anonymous Bosch

Victoria Raverna wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:07 am
Perhaps not, but you can formally request in writing that your teacher/school consider not exposing your child's privacy to an advertising-based company with an atrocious track record of security flaws that puts them at risk of being hacked and harrassed by strangers and exposed to obscene imagery. They may not be aware some security researchers consider Zoom malware and "fundamentally corrupt."

Especially considering safer, more privacy-focused free and open source alternatives are available (e.g. BigBlueButton and Jitsi Meet) that really aren't difficult to use at all.

To use an American proverb, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:22 am
Victoria Raverna wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:07 am
Perhaps not, but you can formally request in writing that your teacher/school consider not exposing your child's privacy to an advertising-based company with an atrocious track record of security flaws that puts them at risk of being hacked and harrassed by strangers and exposed to obscene imagery. They may not be aware some security researchers consider Zoom malware and "fundamentally corrupt."

Especially considering safer, more privacy-focused free and open source alternatives are available (e.g. BigBlueButton and Jitsi Meet) that really aren't difficult to use at all.

To use an American proverb, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."
So you're agreeing she can't force the school to not use Zoom

Anonymous Bosch

wonderpug wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:37 am
Indeed. Then again, perhaps if she's a technically-gifted student with a propensity for social-engineering and deploying ransomware… ;)

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:54 am
wonderpug wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:37 am
Indeed. Then again, perhaps if she's a technically-gifted student with a propensity for social-engineering and deploying ransomware… ;)
Ender's Game taught me that if your school offers you a device with technical vulnerabilities, you're probably expected to exploit those vulnerabilities as part of your evaluation.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Victoria Raverna wrote:
Not sure why, my son uses it daily in a Chrome browser, and that's what a Chromebook essentially is.

Victoria Raverna

Jeff V wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:56 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote:
Not sure why, my son uses it daily in a Chrome browser, and that's what a Chromebook essentially is.
There are report of performance issue with some chromebook including on Asus Chromebook C434 which is more powerful than the Asus Chromebook C214 that I considered.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

So we're considering picking up a couple of Chromebooks for the twins (age 6, entering first grade). Chicago Public Schools are going to use Google classroom for whatever remote learning occurs for next year. So far we've had them use a combination of my laptop and their Fire tablets for school stuff, but that's not going to cut it for next year. We want economical (have to buy two of them) plus reliable (6 year olds). Any suggestions as to particular makes or models? I've never dug into the Chromebook world before, so this is new territory for me.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

I would keep an eye on the refurbs at woot.com.

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:01 pm
So we're considering picking up a couple of Chromebooks for the twins (age 6, entering first grade). Chicago Public Schools are going to use Google classroom for whatever remote learning occurs for next year. So far we've had them use a combination of my laptop and their Fire tablets for school stuff, but that's not going to cut it for next year. We want economical (have to buy two of them) plus reliable (6 year olds). Any suggestions as to particular makes or models? I've never dug into the Chromebook world before, so this is new territory for me.
i did a lot of research recently, here is what I ended up with

the lenovo 100e is the consumer version of what our school is using. its drop resistant, and the keyboard is water resistant. has the camera you need and long battery life, and small and lightweight, so it fits in kids backbacks

the lenovo 300e is more expensive, but it flips around into tablet mode, so its good for the younger crowd. This is the one I purchased.

there are protective cases available for both of these.

I wanted the one I got to be close enough to the school model so there would not be any problems.

I also discovered that low price chromebooks are mostly sold out, I guess with everybody needing one this year, the stock is gone. I had to buy mine through a reseller that bundled it with an SD card for a crazy mark up, but it was that or nothing. I wish you better luck than me.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.