Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Planning a new rig, opinions on components?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Daehawk
Loading…

Re: Planning a new rig, opinions on components?

Post by Daehawk »

Congrats!
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:15 pmCongrats!
Thanks! I'm a nervous wreck of course, wondering if I forgot something or made an error, but I've checked the build list from Falcon and everything seems in order. Now it's fingers crossed time that everything turns out well, but at least if something is wrong or broken when it arrives they will ship it back one day air and fix it.

I made the decision to order today because of the Valhalla specs. I just wish I had known of this last week so the rig would be here for WD Legion, but that's how these things inevitably happen. I figure the rig is good for at least a half-dozen years and since I just turned 67 I'm wondering if this will be the last gaming rig I actually ever order. If so, at least I'm going out in style :D
"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry" - new sign on my back door.
Daehawk
Loading…

Post by Daehawk »

Aw it should be good longer than that....the 6 years not the end of you :). Mine is all 2010 2011 build. Its just now to where I couldn't run stuff at all or at a fun rate. A few games having given me trouble the last couple years. Some I blame on bad dev work like The Division 2. Wit ha couple upgrades I could still be pretty ok but not been able to like the old days. I figure it will last until I get the home paid for in another 4 years. By then Ill either be dead, quit PC, or be ready for a new system. In the 90s I upgraded every year and rebuilt a full system about every 3. By the time Im able to do something new it will be 14 years for this one. Nuts. Tech really slowed.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

What specs did you settle on?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

:D :D Naw, I'm waiting for the 16K monitors :D

Final configuration:
Chassis: Talon 20th Anniversary Edition
Chassis Logo Insert: RGB Light
Side Panels: Tinted Glass Side Panels
Fan Pack: Noiseblocker eLoop® White - High Performance
Power Supply: EVGA® SuperNOVA G3 1000 Watt
Motherboard: Asus® ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming
Processor: Intel® Core™ i9-10850K 10-Core - 3.6GHz to 5.2GHz
Overclock: No Overclock
Processor Cooler: Asetek® Liquid Cooling 680LS 280MM
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) - 3200MHz
Video Card: EVGA® GeForce® RTX 3080 10GB
Sound Card: On-Board
Networking: On-Board
Operating System Drive: Samsung® 970 EVO Plus 1TB - M.2 SSD - PCI Express
Data Drive: Western Digital® Blue™ SN550 1TB - M.2 SSD - PCI Express
64-Bit Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Monitor: Asus® ProArt PA278QV 27" - 2560x1440 - 75Hz
"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry" - new sign on my back door.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I still think you are investing too much in the CPU. I would make the argument that you are spending too much on the video card too if you are limiting yourself to 1440p. Regardless, I hope you love the PC and it arrives problem free.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

JCC wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 pm I still think you are investing too much in the CPU. I would make the argument that you are spending too much on the video card too if you are limiting yourself to 1440p. Regardless, I hope you love the PC and it arrives problem free.
The step up from i7 to i9 was on!y $34, so I figured what the heck. As far as the 3080, I figure I'm future proofing if I decide to step up to 4K.
hitbyambulance
Loading…

Post by hitbyambulance »

the everlasting truism from these 'advice' threads is that people tend to make technology purchases based on emotion, and there is no logic one can state to change their minds :)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:10 pm the everlasting truism from these 'advice' threads is that people tend to make technology purchases based on emotion, and there is no logic one can state to change their minds :)
I would guess this also applies to new cars and spouses :wink:. But I also saw this article on Tom's Hardware, Best Graphics Cards for Gaming in 2020. I just picked the one top of the list :horse:
naednek
Loading…

Post by naednek »

JCC wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 pm I still think you are investing too much in the CPU. I would make the argument that you are spending too much on the video card too if you are limiting yourself to 1440p. Regardless, I hope you love the PC and it arrives problem free.
Ya, The monitor doesn't match up with the card in terms of specs. I would have been either looking at a 4k monitor or lower the card.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

naednek wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:36 am
Ya, The monitor doesn't match up with the card in terms of specs. I would have been either looking at a 4k monitor or lower the card.
But the card will match up with the monitor when I pick up a 4K one sometime in the future. Gotta plan ahead. Just didn't want to push my luck and spend the shekels for a very nice 4K one right now as well as the uber-rig. Christmas is coming in a couple of months after all.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And speaking of the availability of RTX 3080 video cards :wink: I initially received a 21 day build estimate which I politely questioned, since the configuration screen told me it was a 14 day build (their normal build time). I got a reply today saying that the extended build time estimate was due to supply vs. demand levels on the 3080 and 3090, but it does appear that they have sufficient quantities of the 3080 EVGA cards. So I'm back to a 14 day build time, shipping on October 29th. I'm fine if it slips a bit, my last one slipped a bit.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I found that I spent quite a bit more in peripherals as opposed to the PC itself. Little things like USB hub, better keyboard, speakers, monitor-stand, and stuff like that. But then, I'm kinda collector of things I have minor interest in. ;) One of these days I have to start a podcast of me playing all these games. I think I tried to narrate my latest Cold Waters video. I think it came out okay. :D

But yeah, that sounds like a nice rig.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: ADR1FT, Frontier Pilot Simulator