SCSI adapters?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

SCSI adapters?

Post by hitbyambulance »

i have an iomega zip 100 drive i need to hook up to retrieve data off oooold ZIP disks. problem is the drive is SCSI and the only SCSI card i have is for ISA bus...

does anyone have a SCSI PCI card + cable or USB adapter i could borrow? i would pay for shipping both ways.
Jaymon

Re: SCSI adapters?

Post by Jaymon »

now thats a name I haven't heard in a long time
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

SCSI and ISA...my my my those bring back memories of when I started PC gaming. Never got into SCSI. I actually didn't like it when ISA was replaced lol. Of course then there was AGP then PCI. Dang..always having to spend money back then :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

That certainly brings back some memories.

Never did own a SCSI drive, but I was there when it was MFM, then RLL, then SCSI, then IDE... then all the different ATA blah blah stuff.

FWIW, it **may** be cheaper to buy a Zip 100 USB drive from eBay.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:19 pm SCSI and ISA...my my my those bring back memories of when I started PC gaming. Never got into SCSI. I actually didn't like it when ISA was replaced lol. Of course then there was AGP then PCI. Dang..always having to spend money back then :)
Hah, I still remember the VESA Local BUS, i.e. VLB, that came BEFORE Intel came back with the AGP!
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

First HDD I worked on the design for was a 10-platter SCSI "half-high" (1.6" tall) form factor that clocked in at 50GB. The year was 1998.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ah, the "good ol' days".

The first hard drive I BOUGHT was a 40 MB MiniScribe, put it into my Tandy 1000 TL, which, ostensibly a 286, can be ordered with just 2 floppy drives from the factory.

Incidentally, turns out MiniScribe may be the origin of the expression "to brick (something)".
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i just took a closer look at the media i need data transferred off of, and... they're not ZIP disks. they're MO (magneto-optical) disks from the early 90s, 128MB capacity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magneto-optical_drive

just looked up the prices for these drives, and they're a weeeeee bit more expensive than the ZIP ones.

also remembered the iomega LS120 aka SuperDisk drive my parents' computer had in the late 90s. i just learned from that wiki article that it could superformat 3.5" 1.44Mb disks as 30Mb storage media. sorcery!