Random monitor power cycle

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Is this a sign that my computer is dying?

Definitely. Time to upgrade.
No votes
Maybe. Perhaps just get a new monitor.
50%
Nope. It was totally random and you're fine. Trust me.
50%

Total votes: 4

Smoove_B

Random monitor power cycle

Post by Smoove_B »

I try not to be paranoid, but after 20+ years of owning a computer, my gut is telling me this is a sign of bigger things to come.

While working last night (screen capturing a lecture) my monitor randomly power cycled - powered down and then came back. In the 4+ years I've owned my computer, that's never happened (monitor is slightly older). I had something very similar happen with my last computer and it was (I think) related to the video card not getting enough power. However, it was happening in games and would crash to desktop. When this happened, there was no change - it was like I powered it off and then back on (Powerpoint and the screen capture software was still running). No errors in Win10 reported (like a display driver crash); everything is updated/current (because that's how I roll).

After it happened I ran a demanding video game (Max Payne 3) to stress the system and see if there were any problems; there were none.

I opened the case, cleaned out some dust and it's been running (idle/desktop) all morning without any problems.

What say you?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Re: Random monitor power cycle

Post by coopasonic »

If it happens more often, try replacing the cable first. Cheapest potential solution. Alternatively, buy a new killer PC and a huge 4k monitor, just to be safe.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:36 pm I try not to be paranoid, but after 20+ years of owning a computer, my gut is telling me this is a sign of bigger things to come.

While working last night (screen capturing a lecture) my monitor randomly power cycled - powered down and then came back. In the 4+ years I've owned my computer, that's never happened (monitor is slightly older). I had something very similar happen with my last computer and it was (I think) related to the video card not getting enough power. However, it was happening in games and would crash to desktop. When this happened, there was no change - it was like I powered it off and then back on (Powerpoint and the screen capture software was still running). No errors in Win10 reported (like a display driver crash); everything is updated/current (because that's how I roll).

After it happened I ran a demanding video game (Max Payne 3) to stress the system and see if there were any problems; there were none.

I opened the case, cleaned out some dust and it's been running (idle/desktop) all morning without any problems.

What say you?
What do you have it plugged into? If it's just connected to a regular power strip or plugged directly into a power outlet, it may behoove you to use a decent Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) with automatic voltage regulation instead.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:39 pm If it happens more often, try replacing the cable first. Cheapest potential solution. Alternatively, buy a new killer PC and a huge 4k monitor, just to be safe.
:text-+1:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:39 pm If it happens more often, try replacing the cable first. Cheapest potential solution.
Good idea. I'm pretty sure I have quite a few cables sitting around so that won't be an issue.
Alternatively, buy a new killer PC and a huge 4k monitor, just to be safe.
I know, right? :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:42 pmWhat do you have it plugged into? If it's just connected to a regular power strip or plugged directly into a power outlet, it may behoove you to use a decent Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) with automatic voltage regulation instead.
It is in a power strip (Belkin) but I hadn't thought about a UPS (which I should probably do anyway). Good idea.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

There's a difference between a power strip (no protection) vs. a surge protector (over-volt protection)... vs a UPS (full power conditioning AND backup power).
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just to confirm, it's a power strip with surge protection. It's not a UPS.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Does your monitor have any lit buttons, that would stay lit but just change color, based on whether the computer was on or off? (like a green power button that turns red or orange). Basically if the monitor loses power, then all lights would go off. If it's just losing the signal from the video card, then presumably the button color would change, but it would still be lit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It does. It went from blue light (power) to amber light (plugged in, but off). That's why I thought it might be a video card signal issue and not the monitor. But it was so weird, I really didn't know what to make of it.

I'm definitely thinking about a new monitor. I' don't need anything crazy (current is 21.5" running at 1900 x 1080) because my video card is the bottleneck here (NVIDIA 970).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

How is your computer connected to your monitor?

I've seen too many cases of USBC3 and/or Display Port connected monitors cutting signals by either power savings or driver update checks.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

DVI cable.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:11 pm There's a difference between a power strip (no protection) vs. a surge protector (over-volt protection)... vs a UPS (full power conditioning AND backup power).
my computer is routed through a line conditioner (not a power strip or UPS) my dad made for his work at Control Data back in the 80s
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:14 pmDVI cable.
are the fastener screws locked in tight? also third the suggestion of trying a different DVI cable.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

That does sound like a dying mon then.

I had a VERY old 28-inch monitor from way back way like that. Even though it's that large, it was only 1280x1024, from Soyo, if anyone remembers that brand. :D Video started to flicker every once in a while. Then more often. Then one day it just died altogether. It's an LCD too.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:14 pmDVI cable.
Is there another monitor in the house to swap with then? My first suspicion would be dying monitor unless something was moved or jostled recently, then it would be loose cable.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

*unplugs monitor randomly 3 or 4 times*
*Posts on OO about monitor going on and off randomly 3 or 4 times*
*Asks "I should get a bigger better monitor right?" on OO*
*Takes results to wife for proof*

:)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"