Is your wireless printer slower than your old printer?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

Is your wireless printer slower than your old printer?

Post by em2nought »

Sure seems like my Brother MFC-J480DW is, and I've acually got it hard wired. It shouldn't even need to bother with wireless connectivity.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Kasey Chang

Re: Is your wireless printer slower than your old printer?

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have that exact same model, and I don't feel it any slower on WiFi. Why?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Brother HL-L2380DW here. Its super fast. Tons faster than my old one years ago that was a wired inkjet. This one is basically instant.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:42 pm I have that exact same model, and I don't feel it any slower on WiFi. Why?
I guess I'll try mine wifi, I thought good ol' wires should be quickest but maybe not.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's more about receiving the data, composing the page to be rendered, THEN printing it out. Transmission speed should have very little to do with it.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:43 pm It's more about receiving the data, composing the page to be rendered, THEN printing it out. Transmission speed should have very little to do with it.
I think the fact that my minimal amount of data is coming from Crystal Reports that's the culprit. I probably need to switch to the laser printer if I want people occupying and breathing in my space for as short a period as possible. :wink:

Something about the default fonts of the printer as opposed to the fonts used in crystal reports. yada yada yada ...and yes the laser seems much faster. :dance:
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

em2nought wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:29 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:43 pm It's more about receiving the data, composing the page to be rendered, THEN printing it out. Transmission speed should have very little to do with it.
I think the fact that my minimal amount of data is coming from Crystal Reports that's the culprit. I probably need to switch to the laser printer if I want people occupying and breathing in my space for as short a period as possible. :wink:

Something about the default fonts of the printer as opposed to the fonts used in crystal reports. yada yada yada ...and yes the laser seems much faster. :dance:
Check with Crystal Reports. They may have a specific driver they recommend that works better. I have had to troubleshoot similar issues with similar programs and there have been times where you needed a specific driver to have it print properly. One example would be a printer model 123 that works better in Crystal reports if you use their model 100 drivers. Ive seen it go so far as to have the vendor recommend drivers from a different vendor! So A canon printer would need an HP Model X or universal driver to work properly (You obviously lose a lot of specific features of your printer that way in most cases)
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Or use the most generic PCL driver, the HP Laserjet II. :) Or is there a "HP Generic" somewhere in there?