Pay It Forward Freebies -- I

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

noun

Post by noun »

I'm rescinding my request for The Sims, so I'm still +2 (not including whatever my score was from GG days).
Kaigen

Post by Kaigen »

Okay, I'm putting up these:

Wheel of Time
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Fallen
Lighthouse

That puts me at +2 karma, methinks.
End of line.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

an item for the free bin:

A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way (NOLF 2) - jewelcase only, disc 1 is scuffed but installs/plays fine

EDIT : Claimed by Blackhawk. karma +9
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Updated! See page 4 of the thread.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Hey Kelric,

Can I get AoW 2?

Looks like we don't have a Black and White yet. I'll put one up.

Ale
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd like to request:

NOLF 2: A Spy in Harm's Way (PC)(CDs), hitbyambulance

and

Sanitarium (PC)(CDs), Grundbegriff

I will stick up an armload of goodies after choking down some turkey this afternoon.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Alefroth wrote:Hey Kelric,

Can I get AoW 2?
Sure can. PM me your details and I'll get it out as soon as I can.
(No, really, I will...really.) I'll also go ahead and put up Legion, which I believe leaves me at +2 karma.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Blackhawk wrote:I'd like to request:
Sanitarium (PC)(CDs), Grundbegriff
Please PM me your contact info!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

All contact info sent. Adding:

Terminal Velocity (CDs only)

Theme Park

Tiger Woods '99(CDs only)

Command & Conquer - Red Alert II(CDs only)

Earth & Beyond(CDs only)

+3, then.
Kaigen

Post by Kaigen »

Didn't EA close up Earth & Beyond? So, basically, you're just giving away a coaster?
End of line.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

from http://www.earthandbeyond.ea.com/:

2004-09-22 : Earth & Beyond Says Goodbye

Earth & Beyond is no longer in service. After an amazing two years of galactic adventure, Electronic Arts has made the decision to close Earth & Beyond in order to focus resources on future games.

We hope you've enjoyed the game as much as we have and we'll see you again in another great EA game!

Thank you,

The Earth & Beyond Team
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hm. Didn't know that. I never tried it because I wasn't interested in a fee-based game. Go ahead and remove that one.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kelric wrote:
Alefroth wrote:Hey Kelric,

Can I get AoW 2?
Sure can. PM me your details and I'll get it out as soon as I can.
(No, really, I will...really.) I'll also go ahead and put up Legion, which I believe leaves me at +2 karma.
You've been PM'd.

Also going to put up-

Project Eden
Project Nomads

Ale
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Could I get Project Nomad?

I'll put up:

Starlancer
Gangsters
Ceaser II

That puts me at +2.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Eduardo X wrote:Could I get Project Nomad?

I'll put up:

Starlancer
Gangsters
Ceaser II

That puts me at +2.
Absolutely! It was up for the longest time on GG's PIFF, and nobody touched it. All I need is your shipping info.

Ale
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

I'll throw Shogun: Warlord (CD only), Crimson Skies (CD & manual), and Moonbase Commander (new, unopened box) out here for anyone who wants them.

I'd like to ask for two that have been sitting on this Octopiff for a few weeks.
Command and Conquer: Renegade from setaside and
WW 2 Sniper: Call to Victory from wankerjr
setaside

Post by setaside »

Kestrel wrote:Command and Conquer: Renegade from setaside
PM me your info and it's yours. :)
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

Kestrel wrote:WW 2 Sniper: Call to Victory from wankerjr
PM me your info and I'll get it out as soon as I can.
Yet another shameless plug..for something
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Ah screw it. I was going to put this in it's own thread for a giveaway, but by putting it here it makes anyone claiming a game put one up on their own, which only helps the community at large. All 730-ish of us. Standard PIFF rules apply. Ask for a game, put up one of your own.

Here's the problem: I ask you to please ask for a game with the understanding that I'm not promising a prompt delivery. Some of these games have boxes and manuals, some don't. Some have jewel cases, some don't. I'm not going to go through and label all of them. :shock:

1602 A.D.
Age of Wonders
Aliens vs. Predator - Gold Edition
Amazons And Aliens
America
America: Expansion pack
Backyard Baseball
Battlezone
Battlezone 2: Combat Commander
Braveheart
Command and Conquer
Command and Conquer: The Covert Operations
Command and Conquer: Red Alert
Command and Conquer: Red Alert - Aftermath
Command and Conquer: Red Alert - Counterstrike
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2
Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
Commandos: Beyond The Call Of Duty
Conquest Of The New World
Cultures
Cyberstorm 2
Dark Reign
Dark Reign 2
Delta Force
Diablo
Diablo - Hellfire
Dungeon Keeper 1
Disciples: Sacred Lands
Europa Universalis
Ground Control
Half-Life: Opposing Force
High Heat Baseball 2001
High Heat 2002
Journeyman Project 3: Legacy Of Time
Lords of Magic: Special Edition
Madden 2001
Madden 2002
Mechwarrior 2
Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault
The Nations
NBA Live 2001
NHL 2001
NHL 2003
Populous: The Beginning
Rage of Mages 2 - Necromancer
Return To Krondor
Risk
Riven
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Rune
Serious Sam
Simcity 3000 Unlimited
Soldier Of Fortune
Starcraft: Insurrection
Starcraft: Retribution
Star Trek - Starfleet Academy
Thief
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tzar: Burden of the Crown
Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption
Warcraft 2
Wheel Of Time

Also I've got a bunch of demo discs from PCGamer and CGW from 2000-ish to 2003. Just take those as one game if you want to claim them all.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

Kelric,

Can I claim:
Unreal Tournament
Serious Sam Second Encounter.

Thanks! I'll post some freebies after work.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Kelric,

I'll take Freedom Force.

I'll toss up a free one when I get home this evening.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
setaside

Post by setaside »

Kelric:

I'm throwin' down a claim for ...

Dominion: Storm Over Gift 3
Legion

I'm still well up on karma here as I will update in my profile momentarily.

[edit] To attach my signature with Karma Kount
Crux

Post by Crux »

I'll take Deus Ex if it is available. Thanks!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Everyone claiming a freebie should PM with your address and they'll get put in the pile to be sent your way.

dobberhd - Unreal Tournament comes with the box, SS:SE is just the jewel case and insert.

godhugh - Freedom Force has the small box and the manual.

setaside - Legion has the small box and manual, Dominion has the box and manual. Dominion has some sentimental value, treat it well. :cry:

aussie - Deus Ex has the manual and the keyboard card and such as well as the printouts the GGer that gave the game to me included that has cheats and other stuff.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

I'll put up:

Sacrifice (CD Only)
No One Lives Forever - CD only
Star Wars Racer - CD only
Moonbase Commander - complete

email me since I don't check this thread too often.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

I'll put up...

Mob Rule (JC)

That puts me at 0 karma.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm claiming dobberhd's Moonbase Commander

putting up Need For Speed 2: Hot Pursuit 2 to keep karma balanced.
Crux

Post by Crux »

hitbyambulance, I'll take NFS2. My karma is still definitely in the + but I'll add up the figures and plug a number in just to demonstrate :D

EDIT: Should put me at +5 karma if I added up right.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

hitbyambulance wrote:putting up Need For Speed 2: Hot Pursuit 2 to keep karma balanced.
And it's keepin' your karma balanced over at Console Gold, too, ain't it. Or do you have two to give away?

Does doubling up on karma by offering the same game in two places count as playing the system? Wasn't that prohibited when the new forum opened and the problem of dual freebage venues came up?
warning

Post by warning »

Grundbegriff wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:putting up Need For Speed 2: Hot Pursuit 2 to keep karma balanced.
And it's keepin' your karma balanced over at Console Gold, too, ain't it. Or do you have two to give away?

Does doubling up on karma by offering the same game in two places count as playing the system? Wasn't that prohibited when the new forum opened and the problem of dual freebage venues came up?
Please, please, please don't list the same freebies at both OO and CG. It makes it very difficult to keep track of things. And it can be confusing for people who don't check both forums to know which of your freebies are actually available and which have been claimed at the other site.

Plus you're making baby Jesus cry. And it's near Christmas....
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

kinda quick to suspect suspicious motives on my part, no? i was offering it over there, as i was treating the PIFF threads on both boards as one. if someone on one board claimed it, i would mark it as such on the other board - in no way was i going to claim 'extra' karma. :?
Crux

Post by Crux »

EDIT: My first post was confusing so I am just going to re-write the whole fricking thing :P

Karma isn't being doubled up nor the system being bucked so long as the person involved keeps proper track and updates both sites.

For example: Bob offers up 5 games on both sites and lists his karma as +5 in both places. If he claims a game on *either* site then he reduces his karma on *both* sites to +4. If a game is claimed on either site, then he marks it as taken on both sites.

Especially given how much of the community is active on both forums, I don't see how this is bucking the system, doubling karma or doing any of these things. Besides which the discussion about it ended at it being 'ok' so long as careful records were kept and both places being updated in a timely fashion.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kelric, got AoW2. Thanks a bunch, and thanks for throwing in the strategy guide.

Ale
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Alefroth wrote:Kelric, got AoW2. Thanks a bunch, and thanks for throwing in the strategy guide.

Ale
I had forgotten I had the strategy guide until I went looking in my Closet O' Boxes. Scary place, that.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

hitbyambulance wrote:kinda quick to suspect suspicious motives on my part, no?
No, but kinda quick to detect procedural problems.

If Bubba Jo offer games {a, b, c, ..., j} at venue S and offers the same set of games at venue T, then Bubba Jo can claim +10 karma at S and +10 karma at T. At that point, what prevents Bubba Jo from taking 10 games at S and 10 games at Y? For a 10-game investment, Bubba Jo receives 20 games.
i was offering it over there, as i was treating the PIFF threads on both boards as one. if someone on one board claimed it, i would mark it as such on the other board
Two issues. First, does Bubba Jo mark game {a} as "taken" on both boards when someone at one board claims it? Second, does Bubba Jo receive a double-dose of karma because the offering was spread over both two boards?

You've addressed the first issue, hitby, but you haven't addressed the second.

I've noticed several people offer the same game in both PIFF threads. I haven't noticed anyone saying "decrement my karma in this forum, because a game I offered here, for which I claimed karma here, was claimed by someone in another forum". (That doesn't mean that folks aren't performing the calculation; it just means that AFAICR no sign of it has arisen in the mentioned of karma in either forum).
- in no way was i going to claim 'extra' karma.
How exactly were you going to prevent the scenario I described? Isn't it the case that your karma incremented at Console Gold and at OO? What exactly were you going to do to ensure that you didn't end up entitled to two games for your one? Will every participant do the same? At GoneGold, the honor system worked in part because the participants are were honorable, but also in part because it was relatively easy to check and verify. With the PIFF forum spread de facto across multiple forums, it become more difficult to check, and the incentive to cheat the system (because getting away with it is easier) rises.

Again, this isn't about you in particular. It's about procedure.

Perhaps it's time to rethink the karma system. In the past, merely offering a title -- any title, however undesirable -- earned the right to claim a game. In practice, what happened at GoneGold is that many people traded up by offering lists of unwanted, outdated, undesirable titles that stayed on the PIFF list for months. The incentive of the system was to unload white elephants; there was little incentive to give more desirable titles. It was always a welcome surprise when somebody did so, but the exchange for those titles was usually something along the lines of the umpteenth copy of Rainbow Six.

Perhaps we should base karma on games actually given rather than merely offered. This would have two effects: first, someone who offers a game that nobody wants would not earn the right to claim a game, so there would be less "trading up"; wimpy offerings would languish, as they do now, but without complicating the situation. Second, the incentive of the system would be to give away better, more recent, or more desirable titles in order to earn the right to claim similar fare.

Under such a system, it wouldn't matter at all if games were offered in multiple venues, since karma would only accrue when a game was actually given away.

Opinions?
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Grundbegriff wrote: Perhaps we should base karma on games actually given rather than merely offered. This would have two effects: first, someone who offers a game that nobody wants would not earn the right to claim a game, so there would be less "trading up"; wimpy offerings would languish, as they do now, but without complicating the situation. Second, the incentive of the system would be to give away better, more recent, or more desirable titles in order to earn the right to claim similar fare.
With my big giant list, I'm a good example of that. A lot of those games have been on all of my ELOG lists since about 2002. I've sent out two of them with five more ready to go, but that still leaves a big giant list of games I haven't wanted for a long time. Unfortunately, no one else wants them either. ;)

Changing the system to games actually sent out is fine by me, but my vote doesn't really matter.
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

Grundbegriff wrote: Opinions?
Yeah, that you guys worry so much about the karma aspect that you obscure the purpose of PIFF, which is to give away games. Instead we now have a "trade points" system. Instead of obsessing about other people's karma, everyone should worry about themselves. If they want to keep track of things on their side so that they don't calim more than they've offered, then great. But to formulate a karmic system with rule, is silly.

That's my opinion anyway.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Mithridates wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote: Opinions?
Yeah, that you guys worry so much about the karma aspect that you obscure the purpose of PIFF, which is to give away games. Instead we now have a "trade points" system. Instead of obsessing about other people's karma, everyone should worry about themselves. If they want to keep track of things on their side so that they don't calim more than they've offered, then great. But to formulate a karmic system with rule, is silly.

That's my opinion anyway.
I agree.
This whole idea is about kindness, IMHO. If you are mooching off the system, you suck.
Oh, and I have a copy of Rainbow Six to put up. :)
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Why bother having a karma system at all, then?

BTW: I ask because (by default) I compile the lists of games available here and, for a time at GoneGold, was serving as a clearing house for karma counts.

Those of you who suppose that I miss the point of PIFF or that I care too much about the karma count of others would seem to be ignorant of the history of this thing (whether through timing or inattention).
Crux

Post by Crux »

I think keeping some kind of track isn't terrible. And problems *can* crop up with people posting PIFF on both boards if they don't keep good track. But I think let's give people the benefit of the doubt unless it becomes quite clear they aren't doing things right.