Anyone got an old laptop?

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Daehawk

Anyone got an old laptop?

Post by Daehawk »

Looking for someone who has upgraded recently or has one taking up space. I can pay shipping or a little bit plus shipping. If it works. Doesn't need anything special. My wife needs one to use from the bed to surf the web . It just needs to work and have wireless. Its not for games.

Or if you have a non working one that would be easy for me to fix myself at home I could still pay shipping. What are you guys doing with your old laptops?? :)

EDIT: I shoulda been more clear but I honestly didn't think of it when I posted. I would prefer a pc type laptop. I dont know anything about Apple computers and I dont have any Apple software. So I really need a pc one for her since I can work on those and all the software I have is pc based. Thanks.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Re: Anyone got an old laptop?

Post by Pyperkub »

Fireball ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

sent PM
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I edited my original post to be more clear in what I needed.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I do have an old HP laptop. Technically broken. I think it needs a new hard drive, and the power brick is also dead so I can't fire it up to test, and the battery has expired so you'd need to keep it plugged in.

If you're interested I'll poke around and try to get a better idea of what's wrong with it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If the power brick is dead also how would you fire it up?
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

There's universal replacement power bricks that have a variety of common plugs.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

I have a Toshiba, Pentium 3, not too fast in the speed category as judged by todays standards.
It's in perfect condition, no issues such as scratched screen or damaged keyboard. I't s pretty much immaculate.
This model was the bomb back in the late 90's, now not so much. :lol:

I'd have to wipe the hard drive if you were interested. Has an ac adapter power supply, works fine.

I've run different versions of Linux on it just messing around with different flavors of it.

At the moment it's setup for Windows XP. I don' t use it anymore. It's sitting in my storage space/extra bedroom.

If you want it you'd just need to pay shipping costs. I don't need anything in the way of extra $$.

I doubt I'd even be able to sale it on craigslist, which is what I usually do with stuff I don't want or need anymore.

Let me know.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

I just got home from being out and about with my daughter, got dinner to make and other things to do.

( I sent this PM to you around 530pm, but for some reason it's been sitting in the PM's outbox all this time, so here it is, copy/pasted here now at 1054pm 12/12.)

I will answer all your questions in detail, basically its yes, yes, yes, everything you need will be there in the laptop'.

Has dvd-rom drive, it can play movies and burn discs, you will need to load that software on there after you reload the OS. It's a dvd/cd-rw combo drive.

I will give you the wifi adapter and the install disc for it. NOTE - give...it cost me money, giving to you for free. Yes, I'm a very generous person. :lol: Anyway, I really don't have any need for it other than an emergency, and I don't see that happening.

Let me know if you NEED burning software and dvd player software, I can hook you up with that too with the discs and
the license keys.

I do have a paypal account.

You can pay me after the laptop has been shipped and I get the cost. I will take a pic of the shipping cost receipt,
you will only pay the cost it cost me to ship to you, and you'll see the exact cost as I will post a pic of the receipt in
this thread.

I think I will have time on friday night to get everything taken care of, boxed, and shipped out on saturday.

Merry Christmas dude!

PS --- if you think of any other questions let me know. I think it is highly likely that the laptop battery no longer holds a charge, and if it does, not for long. So I know what I did, I had it on my kitchen countertop and always had the ac adpater plugged in.

I will take pics and post here very soon.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Messages sit in your outbox until the recipient reads them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Specs - Toshiba Satellite model A15-S127
Intel Celeron CPU 2.00ghz
240 meg ram
27.9 gig hard drive
Intel graphics chip (no hardcore gaming here folks!)
56k pci modem
LAN port (on back of unit)
Port on left side for PCMCIA adapter
2 usb ports

I recently did a fresh install on this, haven't used it at all since the fresh install, it has all the hardware drivers, and XP service pack 3
installed. I think I have a spare carrying case, if so will pack it in that, then boxed up and bubble wrap all inside the box.

It's not current tech, but it works, gets on the intar-webs, and it's free minus the shipping.

In your pm I didn't get a compete ship to address. You said what state, city, and zip, but not the physical
location where it's going to. PM me that info IF you're still interested. That's the dealio!, that's all folks...
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'd be very wary of using an XP machine for surfing the internet come April when it will no longer be supported by MS.
Hodor.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

pr0ner wrote:I'd be very wary of using an XP machine for surfing the internet come April when it will no longer be supported by MS.
IF someone is using this laptop for just for surfing web, NOT entering any personal data, NOT using it to shop online with credit/debit cards, basicallly not
submitting personal info how bad could using it be when no longer supported with updates?

I know Daehawk's wife is gonna be on their wifi network.

Would a hack/crack of the laptop OS compromise their wifi network that's password protected? And would that intrusion be able to compromise other
pc's on their wifi network? IF I were to guess the answer I'd say YES to both those questions.

I'm not a security expert, and I'm way out of the loop these days on what's possible as far as penetrating XP with an exploit that would fubar
the laptop and OS.

Just reloading XP on a fresh install and downloading and installing service pack 3 and all the many updates with the wifi adapter took many hours
of work to get everything installed and finished.

When MS stops supporting XP will service packs and updates be withdrawn from even being available for download for someone that needs
those updates?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The updates and SPs will likely remain available from Microsoft for some time. The problem is that, as XP remains with a large installed base, it's going to remain a lucrative target for many years.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It is a security issue, but one that not everybody has a choice about. I've got two older systems that are used regularly that wouldn't even run Win7/8. I can't afford to upgrade the hardware to run a newer OS, and I can't afford new copies of Windows at $100 a pop, either. My in-laws' PC, which I maintain, also runs XP, and the same issues apply there.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Is there anything that prevent an intrusion or exploit in XP?

Setting up a VPN on your pc's / laptops at home?

Just wondering out loud.

But does the old adage "if they want in they'll find a way" apply when it comes to internet connected devices?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im very surprised that Xp works on 240 megs of ram.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

There's an open slot so if you can find another chip, and with the age of it you might be able to find very cheap, you can add another stick.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ive got a flash drive wit ha few gig on it that might work if I plug it in a usb slow.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Daehawk, check your PM's, you have 2 from me. The laptop shipped out today, should arrive to you on Thursday 12/19. :csmile:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok sorry I hadn't checked in while. I replied to your post.
Carver4

Post by Carver4 »

What's the configuration?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just ordered this. Having a LOT of slowness and it has 1 memory simm with 256 meg on it. With Xp installed I am hopping that is the slowness problem. So it only supports 1 gig so ordered a set of 512 meg ones to stick in. The HD is 30 gig Im hoping that is good enough. Should be. If it is still slow I will format it since it has a XP reg number on the back and I have XP cds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151171311334?ss ... 1439.l2649