Anyone got an old mobo/CPU/RAM for sale?

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Blackhawk

Anyone got an old mobo/CPU/RAM for sale?

Post by Blackhawk »

Note: This thread was originally about a video card. Thanks to godhugh, that is now taken care of, and I may be able to consider the second part of the puzzle a couple of months early: The mobo/processor/RAM. Rather than create a new, almost identical thread, I will repurpose this one, and put the original part about the video card in spoiler tags.

Here's the scoop: I've got three PCs. I pull this off by treating my components well, then when I upgrade one, I pass the old part down to the next PC, and the one in there to the next. It keeps things running, although by the third PC, things are way, way out of date. The stuff in the third PC is probably more than ten years old at this point, and is normally only used to feed videos to the TV (and some HD videos still won't play in it.) Part of the problem was that my last video card upgrade was the result of a failure, so there was nothing to pass down, and it will be a long time before I can upgrade again.

The issue is that my kids and I have been playing Borderlands in co-op lately. We've all had more fun doing this together than we've had from gaming for years, and really want to continue. I've been using the TV PC to let one of the kids play. It only runs by cranking down the resolution and turning off pretty much every graphical feature, but it runs. Once we finish, though, we won't be able to continue with the series. Most gamers wouldn't actually call the way it runs Borderlands 1 'playable' (but don't tell my son!) It is unlikely it would even launch BL2.

So, I'm trying to upgrade that PC to meet the Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel recommended system requirements. Since I now have a video card (and I had a case, power supply, and drives waiting), I just need a motherboard, processor, and RAM. The recommended specs for the processor are simply "2.3 GHz Quad Core processor." I've been looking around, and haven't had much luck. It seems that very few places keep anything older than a year in stock, and anything newer than that is way out of my budget. Craigslist is useless around here (not enough people nearby), and I'm really, really hesitant to trust ebay for older hardware, having been burned in the past.
Spoiler:
So, I'm trying to upgrade that PC to meet the Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel recommended system requirements. I'm going to be trying to pull off a cheap older CPU/motherboard and a video card. I've been saving for a bit to try and make it happen. The CPU/mobo will be the bigger endeavor (partially because it is so hard to find older mobos with matching RAM and CPUs), so I decided to try for the video card first, and see if anyone has one they'd get rid of cheap. Specifically, I need to get a GTX 560 or Radeon HD 5850 or better, with at least 1 GB of memory and HDMI out (as it is going to the TV.)
So, whatcha got in the parts box?
Last edited by Blackhawk on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
godhugh
Forum Admin

Re: Anyone got an old video card for sale?

Post by godhugh »

As luck would have it, I just upgraded from GTX 570 HD w/ 4gb VRAM to a GTX 970. The old card is yours if you want it.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

godhugh wrote:As luck would have it, I just upgraded from GTX 570 HD w/ 4gb VRAM to a GTX 970. The old card is yours if you want it.
That would be perfect. What do you want for it?
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Nothing. It's a great card, glad it'll have a new home ;). PM me your address and I'll try to get it out to you next week.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YGPM!
hitbyambulance

Re: Anyone got an old mobo/CPU/RAM for sale?

Post by hitbyambulance »

i have an MSi Z68A-G43 (G3) mobo that's not being used.
CPU (Max Support): Core i7 / Core i5 / Core i3
FSB / Hyper Transport Bus: 100MHz
Chipset: Intel® Z68 (B3)
DDR3 Memory: DDR3 1066/1333/1600*/1866*/2133*(OC)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

If you can wait 2-3 weeks, I'm about to replace my mobo/cpu/ram to get ready for virtual reality. The components are getting long in the tooth but they've still been hanging in there ok for even recent releases.

Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
Asus P6T mobo
12MB RAM (6 x 2GB sticks of DDR3 1333MHz)

The only thing is that I'm still waiting on one more component before I can put my new build together (the processor, which I hear is one of the important parts). I'm waiting to hear back from a friend who might get me a nice discount on the CPU I want, hence the vague timeframe. As soon as I get my new CPU, these parts are all yours if you want 'em.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

wonderpug is setting me up, and thank you!

hitbyambulance - thanks for the offer. I really do appreciate it.

Also: wonderpug, hitbyambulance, and godhugh - do you have any idea how hard it is to keep not capitalizing your names? :P
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Also: wonderpug, hitbyambulance, and godhugh - do you have any idea how hard it is to keep not capitalizing your names? :P
look at me not capitalizing my "i"s. i am, i can, i ought, i want, i need, i get, i have.
Blackhawk wrote: hitbyambulance - thanks for the offer. I really do appreciate it.
you are welcome.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

i know
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

i'M hAVING tROUBLE bEING pATIENT fOR mY lAST nEEDED cOMPONENT, sO i'LL pROBABLY bE bITING tHE bULLET aND jUST bUYING iT mYSELF. i sHOULD bE aBLE tO gET tHE mOBO sET sENT oUT nEXT wEEK.

iT iS sURPRISINGLY dIFFICULT tO sUPPRESS mUSCLE mEMORY aND tYPE lIKE tHIS.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ThAnK YoU!