Illuminated Keyboard - 24.99

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Coskesh

Illuminated Keyboard - 24.99

Post by Coskesh »

http://www.xoxide.com/blpsilke.html

I know there was a thread or two about this kboard on GG, figured some people might be interested.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

What is the consensus on this keyboard? Do people like it?
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

I believe I saw a thread about this at quartertothree not GG. My recollection is that the guy pimping it liked it quite a bit, he played in a room that was dark all the time, and that at night the illumination was useful. Hey it's only $24 go get one and see what you think! :)
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are so many different keyboards out there with fantastic features - brushed steel frame, lighted, LED backlighted, system readouts, does this, does that. Unfortunately, not a single one of them comes in an ergonomic. Those of us with Carpal Tunnel are stuck with plain ol' plastic.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Hey Blackhawk - checking google, I found an ergo keyboard that had been modded with glow wire (?) so it was backlit. It doesn't look like you can read any of the keys though. I'd link the image but it's kind of big.

Hmm. Maybe I'll experiment with small Christmas tree lights (the red ones).
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

MarkL used to pimp this thing a lot on GG. He still around?
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I think his nick here is Giles Habibula.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Bad Demographic wrote:Hey Blackhawk - checking google, I found an ergo keyboard that had been modded with glow wire (?) so it was backlit. It doesn't look like you can read any of the keys though. I'd link the image but it's kind of big.

Hmm. Maybe I'll experiment with small Christmas tree lights (the red ones).
I've seen those, and I've seen instructions for making them, but I don't have the electronics skill necessary. I actually have a Battle Lamp for when I need to see the keys, so the thing I am missing out on is the Geek Appeal (TM).
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Bob

Post by Bob »

I like my eluminX. I don't know about his one though.
Grafvolluth

Post by Grafvolluth »

I don't suppose anyone has had experience with the Saitek Gamer's Keyboard have they?
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Bad Demographic wrote:I think his nick here is Giles Habibula.
That is correct sir!
However, the keyboard I was pimping was not the Xoxide. It was the eluminX, which I am still using to this day (gosh it has to be nearly a year now) with no problems. It's the priciest of them all, but the best in quality IMO, though I'd STILL prefer a regular full-sized backlit board over this one, which to my knowledge no one has made yet.

The Saitek Gamers Board comes close, but from what I can gather from photos, the light comes AROUND the keys on that one, not THROUGH them, so if you've got all the room lights off and aren't a touch-typist, you still won't be able to see what the keys are. Whereas, on the eluminX, the keys are transparent, so the letters are always plainly visible.

From memory, the problem with all the cheaper boards is that they are even smaller than the eluminX, and most do not have a numpad (though the one linked to above does). Also, they are much more flimsily made, while the eluminX is very solid. Also note the one linked to at the top of the thread states it's TWICE as bright as the competition. I don't know what competition they're referring to, but my eluminX is lit just right. You wouldn't want it any brighter or it becomes more of a distraction. When playing games like Thief, the last thing you want is a bright light below your screen--the whole reason I like my board is that it's lit just enough to see the keys and is not a distraction. That was the whole point in buying the illuminated board--so I could keep all light other than the monitor at a minimum.

And I can testify that mine has stayed on for literally days on end many times and illumination and feel remains identical to the day I got it.

I still swear by this thing, but am still waiting for somebody to get it 100% right with the full size, with see thru keys, and taller keys and taller board all-around and less of a laptop keypress feel.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd