Microsofts new 3.0 wireless desktop set

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Rich in KCK

Microsofts new 3.0 wireless desktop set

Post by Rich in KCK »

Newegg has the Microsoft 3.0 keyboard and mouse set for $50 after shipping. I think I just paid $70 for this a few weeks ago.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductde ... 140&DEPA=1

This is the best feeling keyboard I have ever used. The leather like padded wrist rest and the slight curve to the QWERTY layout provide a comfort like I've never felt in a keyboard.

The mouse is an average wireless optical, nothing compared to the Logitech MX mice IMO. It feels lite and toy like and a little undersized but until they sell the keyboard by itself you get it as well.
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

I've been using this setup too and like it quite a bit. The only niggling problems I have with it are:

1. The weird arrangement of the Ins/Del/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn Keys. Instead of 2x3 they moved insert, made Delete 2x high and put them vertically. So now I always have to to look at the keys when I'm hittin em, as opposed to the standard layout, whrere I just find the keys by touch.

2. Sometimes when CTRL- or ALT- keys don't register the CTRL/ALT push.

Other than that, it's great. Like it very much.

Got mine at Costco for around $50 too.
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

I've been eyeing this keyboard for a while. I use a MS natural key board - the ergonomic kind with a hump in the middle.

Do you two discerning citizens like ergo keyboards? How does this feel compared to one?
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
B Dog

Post by B Dog »

That's my question as well. How does this "comfort" edition with a slight ergonomic bend compare to the full on "natural" edition with the full split?

Also, does this set have the weird pre-programmed function keys like the other MS optical desktop sets?
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

I always thought the ones with the full split were a little too angled. This one just feels closer to the natural angle that my hands and wrists should be in. Plus there is the occasional time for some unkown reason where I have to use both hands on one side of the board for a quick key press in a game, the split would prove too distracting if that were needed. As for all of the function keys, it has them but I haven't tried reprogramming them. I have an Internet Navigator from Logitech that I have been using and I use the extra keys all the time with it. This one doesn't seem to have as many that have dual functions out of the box and I haven't tried messing with the software to see what it does yet. Honestly if Logitech had come out with a wireless Internet Navigator with the slight bend I would have grabbed it without thinking about it, the Microsoft I had to convince myself to get. The keyboard feels great even though it lacks a few options, and like I said before the mouse is crap IMO.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

I think I might have the same question as B Dog, but here goes...

When you connect this keyboard to your computer and install the software, does hitting F5 send an F5 to the application, or does it try to launch media player or something. I do development work, so the Fn keys are pretty important to me.
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

Well, I just bought a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo, and to say that I'm happy with it is a huge understatement. I've had people over commenting that it's downright sexy.
It's the logitech LX700, their new top model (under the DiNova that is).
Check http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produ ... ENTID=9438

The keyboard is more or less traditional in that it is not ergonomically curved. However many buttons have been repositioned and the f keys are smaller. The mouse is fantastic, basically a lasermouse without the laser.
is_dead
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

ChrisGwinn wrote:I think I might have the same question as B Dog, but here goes...

When you connect this keyboard to your computer and install the software, does hitting F5 send an F5 to the application, or does it try to launch media player or something. I do development work, so the Fn keys are pretty important to me.
I don't think F5 is programmed for email or whatever - they've added some dedicated buttons up top for that purpose. And a little slider thingy on the left side which sizes up/down the browser font size (which, while sounding really lame, is actually useful for me).

As for the "naturalness" of the feel, I agree with Rich in that the split keyboards have always felt a bit too far apart for me. I like the feel of this one. The keys are a bit ergonomically curved ans such, unlike the crap keyboard I'm using now... :) but they're not so out of shape that you can't touch type or lose your home position.
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.