Civ 4 : Beyond The Sword - $14.99 at CC on 8/5

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

EddieA

Civ 4 : Beyond The Sword - $14.99 at CC on 8/5

Post by EddieA »

According to a post at Cheapass Gamer, starting 8/5, Circuit City will have Beyond The Sword for $14.99 :shock:
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

OMG. Curse my alacrity at venturing to the local Gaming Emporium!!
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
pad152

Post by pad152 »

According to a post at Cheapass Gamer, starting 8/5, Circuit City will have Beyond The Sword for $14.99
What you haven't learned that a week or two after release someone will have it on sale! :D

He who waits, saves and He who wants it now, pays! :wink:
tgb

Post by tgb »

pad152 wrote:
According to a post at Cheapass Gamer, starting 8/5, Circuit City will have Beyond The Sword for $14.99
What you haven't learned that a week or two after release someone will have it on sale! :D

Not necessarily - you could buy it today at Best Buy for full retail and bring the CC ad in on Sunday and get $15 back. If I wasn't already tied up with Guns of August and Armageddon Empires, that's what I'd do.

As it is I'll wait til Sunday to get it, and it will probably sit on the shelf for a couple of weeks.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
JonathanStrange

tgb wrote:
pad152 wrote:

Not necessarily - you could buy it today at Best Buy for full retail and bring the CC ad in on Sunday and get $15 back. If I wasn't already tied up with Guns of August and Armageddon Empires, that's what I'd do.

As it is I'll wait til Sunday to get it, and it will probably sit on the shelf for a couple of weeks.
That's just so crazy it might work. They'd never be expecting such audacity!
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I've confirmed this now - it's on the CC website.

Like I really need another reason to waste away the afternoon! :)
Campy

Post by Campy »

Just picked it up at my local CC. At 11am on Sunday, they had 3 copies.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I ordered online for pick up in the store...they had better have the damn thing put back and ready when I get there. But it's Circuit City so I do not have much faith.

Edit: They actually had one put back for me. And there were no more in the store, so kudos to them this time.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Picked it up at BB on Sunday and pricematched using the CC flyer.

Got the last copy at the Beaverton store - looks like some poor bastard was trying to hide it, too. :twisted:
T

Post by T »

I just ordered online. I wasn't planning on picking this up anytime soon, but for $15, that's bargain bin pricing and only a few weeks after release. Thanks for the heads up!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My local CC sucks big-time. They got NOTHING.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
naednek

Post by naednek »

I bought two copies. One for myself and ond for my brother, it was his birthday, and it made a nice cheap present.

Now I just got the hang of Vanilla Civ 4, now I have to learn it all over again :)
JonathanStrange

Kasey Chang wrote:My local CC sucks big-time. They got NOTHING.
Or maybe a few gamers got there before you? :wink: My Santa Fe, NM CC had plenty - perhaps because there are so few NM gamers in the market for turn-based strategy games. I bought an extra Civ expansion for a future gift - I'd already bought the expansion on release day. I couldn't wait.

Books Read 2013
Speaker2Animals

Post by Speaker2Animals »

My CC was clueless as ever. pc gaming section a mess. Found 1 lonely copy, not w/ other strats, but off on some corner. Snagged it, but not surprised at the state of things, it _is_ CC after all. (my attempt at finding & getting the Lord of Rings extended editions last week were foiled by CC last week).
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

JonathanStrange wrote:
Kasey Chang wrote:My local CC sucks big-time. They got NOTHING.
Or maybe a few gamers got there before you? :wink: My Santa Fe, NM CC had plenty - perhaps because there are so few NM gamers in the market for turn-based strategy games. I bought an extra Civ expansion for a future gift - I'd already bought the expansion on release day. I couldn't wait.
No, this store never had anything. I was in this store maybe last Thursday. The shelf looks untouched, everything is at the same places. I still see a copy of NFS: Most Wanted on the shelf.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Koz

Post by Koz »

Went in on Monday and got what appeared to be the last copy. Sticker said $29.99 but it rang up for $14.99. Their PC games section was kind of a jumble of boxes, but they had as much space devoted to it as they did for PS and XBox games, so that was a nice surprise.
JonathanStrange

CC in my metro area has almost always had a good selection of PC games - far better than Gamestop/EB - but it's often in disarray and mispriced (which I don't mind as I've gotten more than a few GREAT deals because of it).

Books Read 2013
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

JonathanStrange wrote:CC in my metro area has almost always had a good selection of PC games - far better than Gamestop/EB - but it's often in disarray and mispriced
The last time I went into CC for a sale (AoE Warlords @$9.99), I had to dig through the shelves -- and I finally found a copy buried behind some other games. When I took it to the register, the cashier tried scanning it but the computer was telling her it was "out of stock".

So to whomever tried to hide and possible steal the game -- suck it. :P

I would expect a hunt for this expansion to go similarly.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
DonD

Post by DonD »

I went to CC this morning but struck out. Then I went to BB thinking I'd pricematch and struck out again.

Such is my luck.
XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Smoove_B wrote:
JonathanStrange wrote:CC in my metro area has almost always had a good selection of PC games - far better than Gamestop/EB - but it's often in disarray and mispriced
The last time I went into CC for a sale (AoE Warlords @$9.99), I had to dig through the shelves -- and I finally found a copy buried behind some other games. When I took it to the register, the cashier tried scanning it but the computer was telling her it was "out of stock".

So to whomever tried to hide and possible steal the game -- suck it. :P

I would expect a hunt for this expansion to go similarly.
been my experience also. I found the last copy of AOE Warchiefs buried behind many other games too. That's why I was shocked when they actually had CIV IV EXP pulled and waiting on me.

I have noticed though that they have straightened out the PC games recently. Not much order but at least neatly arranged. Maybe new management who hasn't been properly trained in the proper CC stocking style for PC game. Open the box, close your eyes and start flinging.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

Why not get the game shipped if they don't have it in store? The shipping cost is minimal (I think it's $1.49). Or, if you want to save yourself the hassle of digging through their mess of pc games, order it online and do in-store pick-up.
"The old lady told me that all the girls in the village of Annezin prayed every night for the War to end, and for the English to go away - as soon as their money was spent. And that the clause about the money was always repeated in case God should miss it."
Robert Graves
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

gorham09 wrote:Why not get the game shipped if they don't have it in store? The shipping cost is minimal (I think it's $1.49). Or, if you want to save yourself the hassle of digging through their mess of pc games, order it online and do in-store pick-up.
yeah, I was surprised that it cost me all of 2 bucks to ship two copies...otherwise I would have had to drive 20 minutes one way to go pick it up.

I assume that is media mail? Still, it seems to be a new option, I don't remembering them offering such cheap shipping on software before.

And if it shows that they don't have online inventory, just wait a bit and refresh...it changes constantly apparently.

Would love to know how many people play Civ...it must be a LOT more than I ever thought.
Speaker2Animals

Post by Speaker2Animals »

EddieA, btw, forgot to say thnx! for the early heads-up on this. I likely wouldn't have noticed it (or more likely, not even looked at a CC flyer otherwise).