Steam's Deals of the Day/Weekend/Midweek

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Jag

Re: Steam's Deals of the Day/Weekend/Midweek

Post by Jag »

Does anyone still play Aion? Doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They published a number about a year ago that they were sitting at 3.4 million. But that's a pretty big time without updates in MMO time.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

thanks issie. what the hell, i'll give it a shot. i already dropped 15 bucks on dungeons last night. :oops:
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daily Deal: Greed Corp - 67% off, $3.33.

4-pack also available for $9.99
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daily Deal: Burn Zombie Burn! - 67% off, $3.33
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:Daily Deal: Burn Zombie Burn! - 67% off, $3.33
Am I the only one that's tired of the SmashTV with Zombies genre?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I think I played Dead Ops Arcade exactly twice and realized that I wasn't that fond of the genre the first time around, especially when it's not at the age 0f 15 standing next to another kid in the mini golf's arcade.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daily Deal: Front Mission Evolved - 75% off, $7.50

No deals on the DLC available.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Midweek Madness:

Prejudice - 66% off, $5.09
4-pack $15.29
All 3 DLC - 66% off, $3.39 for the lot in the packaged deal.

Prototype - 66% off, $10.20
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daily Deal: Gratuitous Space Battles - 75% off

$5 for the base game, $10 for the Complete pack with the 5 DLCs, and each DLC is available for $1.50-1.75 each if you've already got some of them and need to round out your collection.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daily Deal: RoboBlitz - 50% off, $4.99
IGN.com has a review of RoboBlitz, the debut title from Naked Sky Entertainment. Editor Steve Butts writes, "Powered by Unreal Engine 3, this action game is short, sweet and stunning to look at."
RoboBlitz™ is a humorous, physics-based action game full of inventive gizmos, weapons, characters, and environments. Players take on the role of Blitz, a multi-talented robot who must activate an aging Space Cannon to save his world from a band of maladjusted space pirates.
Check the supported video card list before purchase, as it seems a bit short to me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Weekend Deal: All the Warhammer 40,000 that you could want:

The Complete pack is 38.6% off, $99.99, and includes a listing for Space Marine, to be released in September. Main Games/expansions are all 50% off:

Dawn of War Gold - $9.99
DoW: Soulstorm - $9.99
DoW: Dark Crusade - $9.99

Dawn of War II - $9.99
DoW II: Chaos Rising - $9.99
DoW II: Retribution - $14.99
Already own one of the titles in this pack? Give the extra copy to a friend!

Plus, users who have pre-purchased Space Marine can now receive early exclusive access to the Space Marine Demo!

Offer ends Monday at 10AM Pacific Time.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Looks like you get Darksiders with the Space Marine pre-order too.

I already have all the DoW stuff so it's not for me but it's a nice deal. Lot's of gaming there.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Looks like you get Darksiders with the Space Marine pre-order too.

I already have all the DoW stuff so it's not for me but it's a nice deal. Lot's of gaming there.
If someone had not played any of the DoW titles, which ONE would you suggest as being the best? There are....tons!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The originals are great, but I think the base sequel Dawn of War 2 (2/18/200) is probably your best place to start.

The original series plays a lot like a modified version of the Company of Heroes game (which it should, they're based on the same engine).

DoW 2 took a different direction on reduced game play from RTS to more squad-focused combat with RPG elements.

Hopefully I'm remembering that correctly, but for $10 it's a great game.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Looks like you get Darksiders with the Space Marine pre-order too.

If someone had not played any of the DoW titles, which ONE would you suggest as being the best? There are....tons!
Apparently you can get them all and the one that's not released for $99.99.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:

Apparently you can get them all and the one that's not released for $99.99.
Yeah, I'm not paying that.

I just want one to sample the series...and I doubt I will get around to even playing that until 2016 based on my current game playing/finishing rate. Not to mention that even if it was the best PC game series in the history of...PC gaming, I wouldn't buy that many from the same set.

Actually, I have never understood the draw of these types of packages. Thinking for example of Civilization. Who the hell would want to buy the whole series, from I to V? For those who have never played a Civ game, would they want to plunk down a relatively large wad of cash for all of the Civ games, not knowing if they loved it or not? And if you have played any of them, you already own at least one (and would hardly "mix it up" and play I one day, V the next, then III the following day, etc.).

Adventure game series I certainly understand, or something like all the Half Life content bundled, or even publisher packs, but these kinds of deals, esp for this genre makes no damn sense to me.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Hopefully I'm remembering that correctly
That's pretty much how I remember it.

If you want pretty much the same type of action but with less micromanaging, in a newer engine, DOWII is where it's at.

As for which one, the DOWII gold looks like best bang for buck. DOWII and DOWII chaos rising for $14.99.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Hopefully I'm remembering that correctly
That's pretty much how I remember it.

If you want pretty much the same type of action but with less micromanaging, in a newer engine, DOWII is where it's at.

As for which one, the DOWII gold looks like best bang for buck. DOWII and DOWII chaos rising for $14.99.
Done! Worthplaying gave it 9.5/10? Jeebus...how did I miss this when it came out?

But now one more question (harder) please since I see that it's basically CoH in the Warhammer universe (I think?).

Two notes:
1. I have not played (but I do own) Company of Heroes
2. I am completely ambivalent about the settings of the two games (CoH and Warhammer). i.e. I never played the table top Warhammer, so have no point of reference or love for it simply because of that

Having said that, putting up the best CoH against the best DoW game (and from what I can tell from a cursory read, they are pretty similar), which one comes out on top? Why?

I am really time restricted these days, esp. when it comes to gaming, so I have to really do some homework before I buy something (whereas before I probably would just buy and play both titles).

Thanks, I know it seems like homework essay questions. :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well CoH is WWII and everyone has a point of reference for that. I guess comparing the two, CoH is more standard in that it doesn't have sci-fi type weapons so tactics are a bit simpler. While it seems like everyone says they play the same, I find the settings to ge different enough to keep both interesting.

Personally I like both (and still have a lot to play in both) but if forced to choose, I'd give the edge CoH only because I'm a WWII nut and I can really get into the details, right down to which sidearm someone has. DoW is still a great series, even with the over-the-top space mariney stuff (which I assume is a Warhammer universe thing that I don't understand). DoW II is far more tactical than both and less strategic than DoW. The only gripe I have about DoWII is the repetitive nature of some of the maps. I made up for that by finding new and inventive ways to crush my enemies.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Cool - and thanks!

You've convinced me to get it (DoWII Gold, that is).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Cool - and thanks!

You've convinced me to get it (DoWII Gold, that is).
Before you lock and load, I just saw that it's a buck or so cheaper for download at Amazon. Although for the difference, I'd prefer to have it on Steam myself.

MYT
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

DoWII, Chaos Rising, and Retribution all activate on Steam.

In my opinion Chaos Rising has the single best campaign of any of the DoW titles. The original DoWII campaign is very good as well but it has a lot of repetition and some annoying boss battles. Chaos Rising basically took out all the filler, beefed up the story line and released with only the good stuff.

The Retribution campaign, while being the weakest of the DoWII campaigns is still pretty good and better than what is found in most RTS. It includes variants on the main campaign from the perspective of all six races. The Space Marine campaign provides nice closure to the story arcs started way back in DoW1 and the Ork campaign is outright hilarious. All three campaigns(DoWII, Chaos Rising and Retribution) also have excellent co-op for the entire campaigns. Just choose one difficulty higher than you would normally play and you and a friend will have an awesome time.

It should be noted that if you ONLY plan to play multiplayer the only one you want is Retribution.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lordnine wrote:DoWII, Chaos Rising, and Retribution all activate on Steam.

In my opinion Chaos Rising has the single best campaign of any of the DoW titles. The original DoWII campaign is very good as well but it has a lot of repetition and some annoying boss battles. Chaos Rising basically took out all the filler, beefed up the story line and released with only the good stuff.

The Retribution campaign, while being the weakest of the DoWII campaigns is still pretty good and better than what is found in most RTS. It includes variants on the main campaign from the perspective of all six races. The Space Marine campaign provides nice closure to the story arcs started way back in DoW1 and the Ork campaign is outright hilarious. All three campaigns(DoWII, Chaos Rising and Retribution) also have excellent co-op for the entire campaigns. Just choose one difficulty higher than you would normally play and you and a friend will have an awesome time.

It should be noted that if you ONLY plan to play multiplayer the only one you want is Retribution.
OK, thanks for that. Single player only for me (for now)...so I will look at DoWII: Chaos Rising. Is that a stand alone title or does it require DoWII to run?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: OK, thanks for that. Single player only for me (for now)...so I will look at DoWII: Chaos Rising. Is that a stand alone title or does it require DoWII to run?
It's stand alone but you only get to play the Chaos faction (IIRC).

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Out of all the DoW games, Chaos Rising was my least favorite and the one I didn't finish. I finished Retribution as both Ork and Space Marine. The pirate Orks were the best faction I've ever played in these games. Very amusing from start to finish.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daily Deal: Multiwinia: Survival of the Flattest - 66% off, $3.40.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote: OK, thanks for that. Single player only for me (for now)...so I will look at DoWII: Chaos Rising. Is that a stand alone title or does it require DoWII to run?
You only get to play Chaos ONLINE(note: the online community has moved to retribution) For single-player, the campaign is from the perspective of the Space Marines.

I guess campaign preference depends on what you like.

Chaos Rising is heavily focused on story and contains a lot of cut scenes and scripted events. Personally, I love this. Chaos Rising is also the shortest and hardest campaign of the three.

DoWII has about 10 Chaos Rising style scripted missions that convey the story but the rest of the missions are pretty much kill everything on the map and then kill a boss.

Retribution is closer to Chaos Rising except you have the added ability to build normal units during a mission. A drawback is the RPG and loot elements of DoWII and Chaos Rising are still there but have been reduced quite a bit.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lordnine wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
You only get to play Chaos ONLINE(note: the online community has moved to retribution) For single-player, the campaign is from the perspective of the Space Marines.

I guess campaign preference depends on what you like.

Chaos Rising is heavily focused on story and contains a lot of cut scenes and scripted events. Personally, I love this. Chaos Rising is also the shortest and hardest campaign of the three.

DoWII has about 10 Chaos Rising style scripted missions that convey the story but the rest of the missions are pretty much kill everything on the map and then kill a boss.

Retribution is closer to Chaos Rising except you have the added ability to build normal units during a mission. A drawback is the RPG and loot elements of DoWII and Chaos Rising are still there but have been reduced quite a bit.
Thanks, and bought! You had me at "Chaos Rising has the single best campaign..."
T

Post by T »

Saw this on QT3. Amazon has Dow 2:Retribution for $11.99, activated on Steam. I've been waiting for a DoW sale to jump in.

http://www.amazon.com/Warhammer-40k-Daw ... =979455011" target="_blank
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Awesome catch! That's what I pay you guys for!
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daily Deal: Aztaka - 67% off, $3.33
Inspired by Aztec legend, this action/rpg side-scroller will casts you into the middle of a war between the Gods and Mankind. As Huitzilo, heir of the Sun God, skilled in both the arts of combat and magic, only you can save your people from the wrath of the Aztec Gods by reuniting the seven phonograms. Accompanied by your faithful companion Ayopha - trapped in the form of a hummingbird by a magical curse – you will overcome the obstacles in you path through a combination of fighting prowess and spiritual magic.
Isgrimnur

Steam's Deals of the Day/Weekend/Midweek

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daily Deal: Jamestown - 50% off, $4.99.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daily Deal: Combat Wings: Battle of Britain - 50% off, $2.49.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daily Deal: Tidalis - 85% off, $1.50
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Midweek Madness: Serious Sam - 66% off
The deal gets seriously better. Pre-purchase Serious Sam 3 BFE now and get all currently available Serious Sam games at 85% off! Offer ends August 25th at 4pm PDT.
* HD: Gold Edition - $13.59
* HD: The First Encounter - $5.09
* HD: The Second Encounter - $6.79
* HD: Double Pack (1st, 2nd Encounters) - $10.19

* 3: BFE - $35.99 (10% off, pre-order, 10/18/11)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daily Deal: LEGO Batman - 50% off, $9.99
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daily Deal: Super Laser Racer - 67% off, $1.66

Reminds me of the old Omega Race game. For that price, I have to purchase it.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Sweet (as a kid, a local gas station had an Omega Race cabinet that would function off of nickels :). The clerk would always chuckle when we'd break a dollar for nickels instead of quarters.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Weekend Deal: Counter-Strike Complete - 75% off, $7.49

Everything inside is discounted on an individual basis as well:

CS
CS: Condition Zero
CS: Source
Day of Defeat
Deathmatch Classic
Ricochet