[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Carpet_pissr

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, thanks, was getting impatient waiting for one of those Dark Tower series to be available at my library.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

October's Kindle First selections are posted. Anyone able to recommend one of these books?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by some guy named George RR Martin is $3.99, slightly cheaper than a paperback copy.
Taking place nearly a century before the events of A Game of Thrones, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms compiles the first three official prequel novellas to George R. R. Martin’s ongoing masterwork, A Song of Ice and Fire. These never-before-collected adventures recount an age when the Targaryen line still holds the Iron Throne, and the memory of the last dragon has not yet passed from living consciousness.

Before Tyrion Lannister and Podrick Payne, there was Dunk and Egg. A young, naïve but ultimately courageous hedge knight, Ser Duncan the Tall towers above his rivals—in stature if not experience. Tagging along is his diminutive squire, a boy called Egg—whose true name is hidden from all he and Dunk encounter. Though more improbable heroes may not be found in all of Westeros, great destinies lay ahead for these two . . . as do powerful foes, royal intrigue, and outrageous exploits.

Featuring more than 160 all-new illustrations by Gary Gianni, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is a must-have collection that proves chivalry isn’t dead—yet.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sold.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I got it for $1 cheaper because I had a credit from my free October pick too.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sold.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Nov.'s Kindle First books have been posted.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I pick up a Kindle First each month since, you know, it's free, but I have yet to actually read any of them. Does anyone read them?

Meanwhile A Clash of Kings is $4 today.
Black Lives Matter.
Jag

Post by Jag »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:52 am I pick up a Kindle First each month since, you know, it's free, but I have yet to actually read any of them. Does anyone read them?

I have way too many books I have queued to read. I can't be bothered with ones i've never heard of.

I'm also here on Goodreads if anybody wants to follow.

https://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?feat ... YxMDE6NDE3
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Well, here's my Goodreads profile:

https://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?feat ... M1OTU6NDE4

But I mainly update my reading over in Books Read 2017 section. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:52 am I pick up a Kindle First each month since, you know, it's free, but I have yet to actually read any of them. Does anyone read them?
Most of the ones I picked up were trash and I never made it past the first couple of pages. This has been one exception:

Kings of Broken Things by Theodore Wheeler
With characters depicted in precise detail and wide panorama—a kept-woman’s parlor, a contentious interracial baseball game on the Fourth of July, and the tragic true events of the Omaha Race Riot of 1919—Kings of Broken Things reveals the folly of human nature in an era of astonishing ambition.

During the waning days of World War I, three lost souls find themselves adrift in Omaha, Nebraska, at a time of unprecedented nationalism, xenophobia, and political corruption. Adolescent European refugee Karel Miihlstein’s life is transformed after neighborhood boys discover his prodigious natural talent for baseball. Jake Strauss, a young man with a violent past and desperate for a second chance, is drawn into a criminal underworld. Evie Chambers, a kept woman, is trying to make ends meet and looking every which way to escape her cheerless existence.

As wounded soldiers return from the front and black migrant workers move north in search of economic opportunity, the immigrant wards of Omaha become a tinderbox of racial resentment stoked by unscrupulous politicians. Punctuated by an unspeakable act of mob violence, the fates of Karel, Jake, and Evie will become inexorably entangled with the schemes of a ruthless political boss whose will to power knows no bounds.

Written in the tradition of Don DeLillo and Colum McCann, with a great debt to Ralph Ellison, Theodore Wheeler’s debut novel Kings of Broken Things is a panoramic view of a city on the brink of implosion during the course of this summer of strife.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I've read a few.

The Man of Legends - Kenneth Johnson. Quasi-supernatural thriller. Picked mostly for the name of the author (you may remember him from V and the Bill Bixby version of Hulk). Had promise, but not well executed.

A Cold and Broken Hallelujah - Tyler Dilts. Police procedural. I don't call it a thriller, because there were no thrills to it. Pretty boring.

Before You Leap - Keith Houghton. Thriller. Pretty silly, but it moved along at an OK pace.

Extracted - RR Haywood. Time traveling sci-fi actioner. While not without its issues, I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit (enough so that I paid for the sequel, and will pay for the final book in the trilogy when it comes out). Some occasional pacing issues, but the action scenes are well written, and I enjoyed the main characters.

City of Echoes - Robert Ellis. Police thriller. OK. Poor man's James Ellroy. (Very poor man's.)

Supreme Justice - Max Allan Collins. Political thriller. Decent, if formulaic.

Moving Day - Jonathan Stone. Thriller? So bad I couldn't finish it.

The Gemini Effect - Pseudo-scientific thriller. Pretty bad, with an insane side plot about sleeper remnants of the USSR trying to take over the world in the middle of a plague that turns people instantly into vicious monsters.

Plaster City - Johnny Shaw. Thriller. This one at least had some interesting characters.

I guess I pick up quite a few thrillers from there. I'm cheap, so I appreciate filling my commute with free material. There's a lot of rough to dig through to get to anything shiny, though.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Forever War is $1. See our discussion about it here. What's crazy is that this book was $2 yesterday, but I guess that wasn't good enough.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I bought this in 2015 and still haven't gotten to it. I suck.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's not very long, if that helps. So good. Depressing, but good.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's not long, but is part of a long series, no?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It might be; I never looked. This story has a definite beginning and end. I didn't feel anything was unresolved when it finished.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:46 pm It might be; I never looked. This story has a definite beginning and end. I didn't feel anything was unresolved when it finished.
But it's called Forever War. I feel cheated.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 amBut it's called Forever War. I feel cheated.
The war...it's inside of you. (not a spoiler)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 am Starship Troopers $2
https://www.amazon.com/Starship-Trooper ... eba7fc0INT
Sold.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lord Foul's Bane $1, or is that 1$ !? :P
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WKEM9Q?ta ... b22c260INT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:11 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 am Starship Troopers $2
https://www.amazon.com/Starship-Trooper ... eba7fc0INT
Sold.
Ditto.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:19 pm Lord Foul's Bane $1, or is that 1$ !? :P
I've tried to read that book at least a couple times. Never could get through it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:44 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:19 pm Lord Foul's Bane $1, or is that 1$ !? :P
I've tried to read that book at least a couple times. Never could get through it.
The first book in one of the most remarkable epic fantasies ever written, the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever.
Most unlikable protagonist of all times? Probably not, but he is certainly on the list.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yup. And in light of current events, I’m not likely to give him a third chance.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I grabbed it. I remember reading it in my teens and enjoying it, but it was probably a little over my head at the time.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I slogged through the first book in the series. And hated it. Despised almost every minute of it. Then I grabbed what I thought was the 2nd book. Got a little way in, couldn't figure out what was going on, checked again, and found that I was reading the first book of the 2nd trilogy (so I'd missed a couple of books). But, since it was also terrible, I put it down and never looked back.

You know, I probably still have the complete series (9 books) sitting around here somewhere. If someone really needs them.

Edit: Although, I realize that last part isn't really appropriate for THIS thread. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:44 pm
Same. Back in the late 80s. One of the few series I didn't stick with.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Jag

Post by Jag »

The Death of Dulgath (Riyria Chronicle) by Michael J. Sullivan free for three days.

Free is good. On my to read list.

And yes, I follow r/Fantasy :wub:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:14 am Enlarge Image

$1.99
I got partway into that and just never went back to it. I think I got about 150 pages in when I decided that the Dune series begins and ends with Dune (and I've re-read that probably 5-10 times).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Jag wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:43 pm The Death of Dulgath (Riyria Chronicle) by Michael J. Sullivan free for three days.

Free is good. On my to read list.

And yes, I follow r/Fantasy :wub:
I read the first trilogy he published and enjoyed it. I was rather tired of prequels when he but out more Riyria books so I never read them. But free is free, so I hope to dive in sometime. Thanks for the heads-up!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:10 pm I got partway into that and just never went back to it. I think I got about 150 pages in when I decided that the Dune series begins and ends with Dune (and I've re-read that probably 5-10 times).
I've read all of Frank's Dune books probably 3 times. I then read almost all of the son's prequels and sequels once. I liked getting a backstory to things like the Butlerian Jihad or the Bene Gesserit.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Moliere wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:02 am
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:10 pmI then read almost all of the son's prequels and sequels once. I liked getting a backstory to things like the Butlerian Jihad or the Bene Gesserit.
I enjoyed them but you definitely needed to check your brain at the door. Too much of a linear connection to latter characters when the time spans more than 1000 years. It's as if Italy elected a Julio-Claudian president today.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Moliere wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:02 amI then read almost all of the son's prequels and sequels once. I liked getting a backstory to things like the Butlerian Jihad or the Bene Gesserit.
I enjoyed them but you definitely needed to check your brain at the door. Too much of a linear connection to latter characters when the time spans more than 1000 years. It's as if Italy elected a Julio-Claudian president today.
Black Lives Matter