[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Isgrimnur

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Isgrimnur »

Check your library for their ebook lending program.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moat_Man wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:08 am Got a Kindle for Christmas. Went to get a few books and was a bit shocked to see they were regular paperback prices. I thought they would be cheaper. Other than this thread is there anywhere I can look for cheap Fantasy/Sci-Fi classics for the Kindle?
I don't know fantasy / sci-fi in particular, but I'd recommend signing up (for free) with BookBub.com. They'll e-mail you daily with eBook deals (usually like 2 - 4 per day). Great books go on sale regularly.

Basically if you want to read specific books right away, you won't save much (if any) money, but if you're at least somewhat flexible in terms of what you read, you can read for basically the whole year for $1 - $3 per book.
Black Lives Matter.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Moat_Man wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:08 am Got a Kindle for Christmas. Went to get a few books and was a bit shocked to see they were regular paperback prices. I thought they would be cheaper. Other than this thread is there anywhere I can look for cheap Fantasy/Sci-Fi classics for the Kindle?
I use Bookbub. It is free and you can select the genres you are interested it and they will show the current deals. I'm also signed up for a daily email that lists those bargains (usually $1.99 to $2.99) in a convenient form.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

What, did we all check out mail at the same time? :D

Another option is Kindle Unlimited. You pay a monthly fee and you can download one book at a time from a selection of what they say is a million books. They are offering the first month free so you can try it out. I don't use it because I tend to like books that never show up in their listings, but you can check out some of the books you like and see if they are available through the program.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you have Amazon Prime, there's the Kindle Lending Library, although trying to search it requires jumping through some hoops:
PCWorld reader Danner discovered the filter method to browse Amazon's Lending Library from your web browser:
  1. At Amazon.com, click the down arrow next to the search box to change from "All" to "Books." Then click Go.
  2. Scroll down on the left navigation section and click "Prime Eligible."
  3. Finally, in the following page, click the "Kindle Edition" header.
Voila! Now you can sort the list to your liking (e.g., by customer review or most reviews) and save them to a list if you like. You'll still need to check out a book directly from the Kindle, but browsing all the titles may be easier on a larger device.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I think that's outdated. They've changed the format enough (not to mention changed things around re: "Prime Reading vs Unlimited Kindle or whatever) that even the new link at bottom of that article is out of date.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

"2013" ... Yeah, you may be right.

I know I was able to borrow the first three Harry Potter books for free through that with the lending library, as I'm not paying for Unlimited, and searching for the books that qualify is something that eluded me.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Thanks to Isgrimnur, El Guapo, jztemple2 for the advice and Carpet_pissr for preventing me from going down a Google-hole (its like a rabbit hole, but for searches) about the Kindle Lending Library. I'm a prime member but it wasn't available in Canada anyway.

The local library does do ebooks through only in epub format. No option to send to Kindle either. :(

BookBub looks great. Signed up and browsed a bit. Found some freebies that I suited my interests. Great recommendation!

I also poked around Amazon a bit more and tuned it to my preferences. Yes, some of the books I own and would like to reread on my Kindle are expensive but if I really want to read them I guess I can do it the old fashioned way.

Calibre looks like the go-to software to organize a local collection of free books and convert them to .MOBI (if necessary) and sync with my Kindle.

Thanks again everyone!
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If one were to acquire a PDF version of something they wanted to read, one could e-mail it to the device’s address (found in the Manage Your Devices website settings) and they will convert it for you. And I’m sure that you will follow all applicable laws.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:18 am If one were to acquire a PDF version of something they wanted to read, one could e-mail it to the device’s address (found in the Manage Your Devices website settings) and they will convert it for you. And I’m sure that you will follow all applicable laws.
I saw that when I was poking around Amazon. Calibre has the ability to email books directly to the Kindle. Calibre can also convert ePubs, etc., into .MOBI format for Kindles so if one were to get open source books in one format it can convert and send them to your Kindle. I am sure there are other outlets for procuring copywritten works the same as music, movies, games. :ninja:
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Isgrimnur wrote:Check your library for their ebook lending program.
Definitely this. Almost all the books I read on my Kindle I’ve gotten free online from my local library.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Timothy Ferriss' Tribe of Mentors - $3.99

Everything I've read from Ferriss has been superb, I just wish I could practice what he preaches.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Moliere wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:31 pm Stranger in a Strange Land
$1.99
Bam! Got that one. Thanks.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Moliere wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:38 am The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
$2.99
I'm afraid I've been spoiled by having and listening to the original twelve BBC radio programs :wub:, although I do have the hardcover versions of the books as well.

If you do have an interest in the original radio program, there is a an interesting book, The Original Hitchhiker Radio Scripts by Douglas Adams. It contains, besides some background material by Adams, the original scripts, including deletions, changes and some annotations about the sound effects and other items. Very interesting if you are into how the whole thing came about.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I have a plug for a friend from high school.

The Martyr's Blade

It's on sale today for $.99. Apparently it will be slowly increasing over the next week until it goes off sale on the Jan. 29th. He's about to release his second book in the series.

Full disclosure: I haven't read the book yet. However, my best friend (who is much closer to the author, and who plays in a weekly table top RPG set in the same world) does proof reading for the author. And he says the book is excellent.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As part of today's "Most Wished for Books", you can find Redshirts by John Scalzi for $2.99. I liked Old Man's War so I'll probably grab this as well.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote:As part of today's "Most Wished for Books", you can find Redshirts by John Scalzi for $2.99. I liked Old Man's War so I'll probably grab this as well.
This was a fun read.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Kindle deals are becoming like Steam deals. I saw this one and thought, "Oh yeah, I wanna read that."

Yep, already bought it last year...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Z-Corn wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:04 pm Kindle deals are becoming like Steam deals. I saw this one and thought, "Oh yeah, I wanna read that."

That's why I belong to LibraryThing. When I joined about ten years ago I spent time entering all my books into a database and since then anytime I get a book, or swap one, or donate one, or otherwise change its status I update its entry in LT. You can also do this for Kindle, Audible or frankly any format since you can use a different ISBN and tag it or just manually enter an item. And each week I pull down a copy of my listings in Excel and tab delimited formats so that if LT ever dies or the database gets corrupted I have a copy.

Sure it seems like a lot of effort at first, but right now I'm tracking 5170 books I've either have right now or had and no longer have.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:28 pm
Smoove_B wrote:As part of today's "Most Wished for Books", you can find Redshirts by John Scalzi for $2.99. I liked Old Man's War so I'll probably grab this as well.
This was a fun read.
While I'm loving going through the Old Man's War series, I probably would have enjoyed it more if I was reading it myself as I would (more than likely) not be so freaking bothered by his constant usage of dialog tags which are painful to listen to in the Audible releases. They would just be bits I probably didn't really 'read' but the constant he said, he said, he said, she said narration can be a little crazy-making at times. LOL
-mf
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Old Man's War was great until Zoe's Tale. Then it turned into nonstop teen angst.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Decided to skip that one after reading that it was basically a retelling of the previous novel from the daughter's perspective.
-mf
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Meh. I liked it.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The Tor.com Ebook Club selection for February 2018 The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time Book #1) by Robert Jordan
Available from February 13, 12:01 AM ET to February 15, 11:59 PM ET
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:10 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:04 pm Kindle deals are becoming like Steam deals. I saw this one and thought, "Oh yeah, I wanna read that."

That's why I belong to LibraryThing. When I joined about ten years ago I spent time entering all my books into a database and since then anytime I get a book, or swap one, or donate one, or otherwise change its status I update its entry in LT. You can also do this for Kindle, Audible or frankly any format since you can use a different ISBN and tag it or just manually enter an item. And each week I pull down a copy of my listings in Excel and tab delimited formats so that if LT ever dies or the database gets corrupted I have a copy.

Sure it seems like a lot of effort at first, but right now I'm tracking 5170 books I've either have right now or had and no longer have.
Is that like Goodreads?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:42 am
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Is that like Goodreads?
In my understanding, Goodreads is a "hey, I'm reading this book, anyone else reading this book?" kind of place, which also extends to genres too, "I like Victorian bodice-rippers, does anyone else like them too?". A sort of social hangout for book lovers. LibraryThing does have forums in specific topics, I subscribe to History, Military History, and American History among others (I'm very interested in history). But LT is more (in my opinion) about building a database of books that you can keep private or share with others. There are a lot of tools that allow you to find other folks who have similar tastes, or at least similar libraries. To me however the social side is secondary, I primarily like LT for the ability to catalog my books.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
$2.99

The book surprised me because it tells the story from the Chief's point of view.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Moliere wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:00 am One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
$2.99

The book surprised me because it tells the story from the Chief's point of view.
It really is a great book, and it's fun to compare it to the movie. They're so different yet tell the same story, and both are classics.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The first book of the Magicians trilogy is apparently on sale for $2.99. No idea how long or why. Reviews seem rather polarized. I really like the show, so I'm definitely curious about the book(s).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I liked the books a lot...
Jag

Post by Jag »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:24 am The first book of the Magicians trilogy is apparently on sale for $2.99. No idea how long or why. Reviews seem rather polarized. I really like the show, so I'm definitely curious about the book(s).
Books were better than the show and I really didn't like the books. It's even more Harry Potter for grownups or Harry Potter US Grad School version. The books spend more time at Hogwarts, I mean Brakebills. At least the show acknowledges that it is derivative of HP and the girls on the show are attractive, so that's ... something. Alice :shock:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kindle Unlimited for .99 for two months! WOOT. I'm in.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11321447-two-m ... d-for-0-99

Current Kindle Unlimited clients are not eligible.

EDIT:
Ugh. Not impressed with the selection, I guess I thought it was the Kindle library, but nooooo, unless I am missing something. I just did a sort by avg customer reviews, and the first 20 pages were cheesy romance titles. Such classics as:
"She Got It Bad for A Heartless Gangsta: An AK Christmas"
"Firefighter Unicorn (Fire & Rescue Shifters Book 6"
"Ropin' a Romeo (The Boot Knockers Ranch Montana Book 3)"
and the unforgettable "Bearly In Time: Connor and Rebecca (Werebears of New Hampshire Book 4)"

WTF man. Is Kindle Unlimited just a romance novel reading club?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FYI, don't jump into The Boot Knockers Ranch Montana series at book 3, or you'll just wind up confused.
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:17 pm Kindle Unlimited for .99 for two months! WOOT. I'm in.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11321447-two-m ... d-for-0-99

Current Kindle Unlimited clients are not eligible.

EDIT:
Ugh. Not impressed with the selection, I guess I thought it was the Kindle library, but nooooo, unless I am missing something. I just did a sort by avg customer reviews, and the first 20 pages were cheesy romance titles. Such classics as:
"She Got It Bad for A Heartless Gangsta: An AK Christmas"
"Firefighter Unicorn (Fire & Rescue Shifters Book 6"
"Ropin' a Romeo (The Boot Knockers Ranch Montana Book 3)"
and the unforgettable "Bearly In Time: Connor and Rebecca (Werebears of New Hampshire Book 4)"

WTF man. Is Kindle Unlimited just a romance novel reading club?
The interface doesn't help either.
The only thing that looked remotely interesting to me that I haven't read before is the Harry Potter series but I can't find anyway of adding all the books to my list at once. Instead I have to click back and forth and re-find each one. Annoying.
So, I guess April/May is Young Adult Fantasy Novel month for me.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
$2.99