Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Pyperkub

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Pyperkub » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Read them all multiple times. Enjoyed them thoroughly.
There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:04 am

stessier wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:52 pm
TheMix wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:40 am
Ugh. I have all of them (I think). I only ever managed to complete the first one. I hated them.
+1
I read the First and Second "Chronicles" back when they were first published. I recall having a really hard time getting into the first one and having to keep a dictionary handy. Not one to give up (back then) on the third try it finally clicked and then I read all six of them back to back, I do believe. Never felt a need to pick up the "Last Chronicles" when they started showing up again, what - 20 years later? :?
-mf

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:45 pm

The last chronicles were good too.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:07 pm

FWIW, the Hell Diver's series (1-4) are on sale for $1.99 each. Book 5 and upcoming book 6 are NOT discounted.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: ADR1FT, Frontier Pilot Simulator

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:09 am

Kasey Chang wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:07 pm
FWIW, the Hell Diver's series (1-4) are on sale for $1.99 each. Book 5 and upcoming book 6 are NOT discounted.
What, there's a book five? Ah... soon... May 6th. 8-)
-mf

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed May 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Silver - 1k

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:19 am

Submitted without comment - The Sociopath Next Door is on sale for $2.99

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:04 am

Subtitled: So you're moving to New Jersey.
Silver - 1k

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:08 am

Enlarge Image

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:41 am

:D
Silver - 1k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:29 am

Neil Gaiman's first novel Neverwhere is currently on sale for $2.99.
We had subs. It was crazy

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:57 am

The Princess Bride is $2.99 today, maybe the whole month.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:55 pm

Smoove_B wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:57 am
The Princess Bride is $2.99 today, maybe the whole month.
This is an excellent read!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:17 am

Spearhead: An American Tank Gunner, His Enemy, and a Collision of Lives in World War II is $3.99 today. This book just came out so I'm pretty excited to see it on deep discount today:
When Clarence Smoyer is assigned to the gunner’s seat of his Sherman tank, his crewmates discover that the gentle giant from Pennsylvania has a hidden talent: He’s a natural-born shooter.

At first, Clarence and his fellow crews in the legendary 3rd Armored Division—“Spearhead”—thought their tanks were invincible. Then they met the German Panther, with a gun so murderous it could shoot through one Sherman and into the next. Soon a pattern emerged: The lead tank always gets hit.

After Clarence sees his friends cut down breaching the West Wall and holding the line in the Battle of the Bulge, he and his crew are given a weapon with the power to avenge their fallen brothers: the Pershing, a state-of-the-art “super tank,” one of twenty in the European theater.

But with it comes a harrowing new responsibility: Now they will spearhead every attack. That’s how Clarence, the corporal from coal country, finds himself leading the U.S. Army into its largest urban battle of the European war, the fight for Cologne, the “Fortress City” of Germany.

Battling through the ruins, Clarence will engage the fearsome Panther in a duel immortalized by an army cameraman. And he will square off with Gustav Schaefer, a teenager behind the trigger in a Panzer IV tank, whose crew has been sent on a suicide mission to stop the Americans.

As Clarence and Gustav trade fire down a long boulevard, they are taken by surprise by a tragic mistake of war. What happens next will haunt Clarence to the modern day, drawing him back to Cologne to do the unthinkable: to face his enemy, one last time.
If you're thinking, hey, this sounds familiar, we had a topic on it EBG in November.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:39 pm

Sold.
Silver - 1k

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:27 pm

For those who might be interested, Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow is on sale for $2.99 USD. I already have the trade size paperback, but that's a couple of pounds with pointy corners sitting in my lap so the Kindle version is more portable :D
"A plan is a list of things that go wrong. I like to keep my lists short. Just be ready." - Rico Rodriguez

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Sold.
Silver - 1k

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:46 pm

jztemple2 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:27 pm
For those who might be interested, Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow is on sale for $2.99 USD. I already have the trade size paperback, but that's a couple of pounds with pointy corners sitting in my lap so the Kindle version is more portable :D
I have the Hardcover - ouch! Never quite finished it (got maybe 100-150 pages in). I'm not much for biographies/non-fiction. I tend far more towards SF/F, Mystery/Thriller, YA (mostly due to my author friend who writes YA), and literary fiction.

Still, enjoyed what I read, and Chernow is fantastic.

coopasonic
The Elder Scrolls Online

Post by coopasonic » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:26 pm

Pyperkub wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:46 pm
jztemple2 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:27 pm
I have the Hardcover - ouch! Never quite finished it (got maybe 100-150 pages in). I'm not much for biographies/non-fiction. I tend far more towards SF/F, Mystery/Thriller, YA (mostly due to my author friend who writes YA), and literary fiction.

Still, enjoyed what I read, and Chernow is fantastic.
I am very much the same way. I literally can't tell you the last time I read anything non-fiction, but I am loving Chernow's Hamilton. I just started it over the weekend after FINALLY defeating Oathbreaker, but the detail is fantastic. It makes me want to see the show again.
-Coop

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:28 am

I picked up Hamilton. Loved Chernow's Grant biography, though God knows when I'm going to find time to read this.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:00 am

Yeah I picked it up as well. I'm in the middle of his Grant biography which is fantastic. Also have his 900+ page Washington biography waiting in the wings. :doh:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:07 am

You can usually add Audible versions for ~$7.50.
Silver - 1k

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:50 am

For those interested, Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by quirky science writer Mary Roach is on sale for $2.99 USD.

"A plan is a list of things that go wrong. I like to keep my lists short. Just be ready." - Rico Rodriguez

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:14 pm

Charles Stross's Laundry Files books (selected) on sale for $2.99:
REMINDER: "The Atrocity Archives", "The Delirium Brief", and "The Labyrinth Index" are ALL currently $2.99 as kindle ebooks (USA only)
One of my favorite new SF writers, and these tales of a British IT guy working for the supernatural MI 5/6 are pretty good.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:45 pm

For those into political biography, Richard Nixon: The Life by John A. Farrell on sale today for $1.99 USD.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:51 am

A few months ago, Guns, Germs and Steel was on sale, now it's Jarred Diamond's newest book, Upheaval: Turning Points for Nations in Crisis as a $6.99 daily deal. Not a typical sale, but if you have credits (from slow shipping) and you're looking for something that was just released, it'll do. It's normally a $17 Kindle book:
In his international bestsellers Guns, Germs and Steel and Collapse, Jared Diamond transformed our understanding of what makes civilizations rise and fall. Now, in his third book in this monumental trilogy, he reveals how successful nations recover from crises while adopting selective changes -- a coping mechanism more commonly associated with individuals recovering from personal crises.

Diamond compares how six countries have survived recent upheavals -- ranging from the forced opening of Japan by U.S. Commodore Perry's fleet, to the Soviet Union's attack on Finland, to a murderous coup or countercoup in Chile and Indonesia, to the transformations of Germany and Austria after World War Two. Because Diamond has lived and spoken the language in five of these six countries, he can present gut-wrenching histories experienced firsthand. These nations coped, to varying degrees, through mechanisms such as acknowledgment of responsibility, painfully honest self-appraisal, and learning from models of other nations. Looking to the future, Diamond examines whether the United States, Japan, and the whole world are successfully coping with the grave crises they currently face. Can we learn from lessons of the past?

Adding a psychological dimension to the in-depth history, geography, biology, and anthropology that mark all of Diamond's books, Upheaval reveals factors influencing how both whole nations and individual people can respond to big challenges. The result is a book epic in scope, but also his most personal book yet.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Sold!
Silver - 1k