[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Jag

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Jag »

stessier wrote:I've never downloaded anything other than directly from Amazon for my Kindle. I just signed up and it looks like I should download the Mobi as I use a Paperwhite. Question - how do I get it on to my Paperwhite? Sorry for being a noob. :)
You can also use Calibre, which is a fantastic and free e-book converter. It will also automatically convert and email books. pdfs or .docs to your kindle account.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier wrote:I've never downloaded anything other than directly from Amazon for my Kindle. I just signed up and it looks like I should download the Mobi as I use a Paperwhite. Question - how do I get it on to my Paperwhite? Sorry for being a noob. :)
Amazon / My Account / Manage Your Content and Devices / Settings tab

Scroll down to the Personal Document Settings section.

Create a send-to-kindle email address. Then you can load an arbitrary document onto your Kindle by emailing it to that address as an attachment.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

Recommended by Virginia Postrel and it's currently free on Amazon.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Came up at $0.99 for me. Cheap enough.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:Came up at $0.99 for me. Cheap enough.
Must have been a sale price for yesterday. I got it for zero.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$0.99 for me too. An outrage!
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote:$0.99 for me too. An outrage!
Aren't you a lawyer? When I said "currently free" that doesn't imply it will always be free. Buy the Grande instead of the Venti one time and the book pays for itself. :wink:
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

With these books, what happens is the book was put out for free for 24 hours to generate buzz, 3 days at 99 cents for those who missed out on free, then back up to full price.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Has anyone tried the BIGTHANKS code for this book?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's not a video game, so I don't think that works.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

free
The John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer is presented annually at WorldCon to an outstanding author whose first professional work of science fiction or fantasy was published within the previous two years. This anthology includes over 75 authors and nearly 400,000 words of fiction. A resource of amazing new writers for both Hugo Award voters and those interested in seeing the brightest new lights of fantasy and science fiction, Event Horizon is available for download until July 15, 2017.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sci-fi isn't really something I read, classic Sci-fi in particular. However, today Amazon has Way Station for $0.99, a book I'd never heard of (published in 1964):
Enoch Wallace is not like other humans. Living a secluded life in the backwoods of Wisconsin, he carries a nineteenth-century rifle and never seems to age—a fact that has recently caught the attention of prying government eyes. The truth is, Enoch is the last surviving veteran of the American Civil War and, for close to a century, he has operated a secret way station for aliens passing through on journeys to other stars. But the gifts of knowledge and immortality that his intergalactic guests have bestowed upon him are proving to be a nightmarish burden, for they have opened Enoch’s eyes to humanity’s impending destruction. Still, one final hope remains for the human race . . . though the cure could ultimately prove more terrible than the disease.

Winner of the Hugo Award for Best Novel, Way Station is a magnificent example of the fine art of science fiction as practiced by a revered Grand Master. A cautionary tale that is at once ingenious, evocative, and compassionately human, it brilliantly supports the contention of the late, great Robert A. Heinlein that “to read science-fiction is to read Simak.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Seveneves from Neal Stephenson is $2.99 today. I tried reading Cryptonomicon years ago and had to give up, but I figure there are others that like his work.
What would happen if the world were ending?

A catastrophic event renders the earth a ticking time bomb. In a feverish race against the inevitable, nations around the globe band together to devise an ambitious plan to ensure the survival of humanity far beyond our atmosphere, in outer space.

But the complexities and unpredictability of human nature coupled with unforeseen challenges and dangers threaten the intrepid pioneers, until only a handful of survivors remain . . .

Five thousand years later, their progeny—seven distinct races now three billion strong—embark on yet another audacious journey into the unknown . . . to an alien world utterly transformed by cataclysm and time: Earth.
EDIT: A few others

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman for $2.99.
An Amazon Best Book of the Month, June 2013: Neil Gaiman's intent was simple: to write a short story. What he ended up with instead was The Ocean at the of the Lane--his first adult novel since Anansi Boys came out in 2005, and a narrative so thoughtful and thrilling that it's as difficult to stop reading as it was for Gaiman to stop writing. Forty years ago, our narrator, who was then a seven-year-old boy, unwittingly discovered a neighboring family’s supernatural secret. What happens next is an imaginative romp through otherwordly adventure that could only come from Gaiman's magical mind. Childhood innocence is tested and transcended as we see what getting between ancient, mystic forces can cost, as well as what can be gained from the power of true friendship. The result is a captivating tale that is equal parts sweet, sad, and spooky. --Robin A. Rothman
And the classic Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie for $1.99.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cryptonomicon is the best book I've ever read about undersea data cables.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

My friend Kim's YA book, Catch a Falling Star is $0.99 today on Amazon (OO link):
A deliciously charming novel about finding true love . . . and yourself.

Nothing ever happens in Little, CA. Which is just the way Carter Moon likes it. But when Hollywood arrives to film a movie starring former child star turned PR mess Adam Jakes, everything changes. Carter's town becomes a giant glittery set and, much to her annoyance, everyone is starry-eyed for Adam. Carter seems to be the only girl not falling all over herself to get a glimpse of him. Which apparently makes her perfect for the secret offer of a lifetime: playing the role of Adam's girlfriend while he's in town, to improve his public image, in exchange for a hefty paycheck. Her family really needs the money and so Carters agrees. But it turns out Adam isn't at all who she thought he was. As they grow closer, their relationship walks a blurry line between what's real and what's fake, and Carter must open her eyes to the scariest of unexplored worlds - her future. Can Carter figure out what she wants out of life AND get the guy? Or are there no Hollywood endings in real life?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image
The Tor.com eBook Club Selection for April
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

May's Kindle First is out. Choose one of six for free.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

$1.99 $14.99
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Wow, I can get a missing image error for only $1.99??
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere wrote:Image
$1.99 $14.99
Now with link.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Tor's free book download for May:

Enlarge Image
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Excellent book. Highly recommended for those that like heavy/serious Sci-fi.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

If you like Agatha Christie, Amazon has a bunch of kindle versions of her mysteries on sale today.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I haven't looked through it all yet, but Amazon apparently discounted hundreds (thousands?) of Marvel comics to $5 or less.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Smoove_B wrote:I haven't looked through it all yet, but Amazon apparently discounted hundreds (thousands?) of Marvel comics to $5 or less.
These prices are nuts. Going to need some recommendations.
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image
:coffee: ... All back issues of Omni magazine now available online
Good news for Omni magazine fans – all 200 issues are now available on Amazon for $2.99 each, or free if you're a Kindle Unlimited subscriber.

Up until a couple of years ago the science and science fiction magazine, which was created by Bob Guccione of Penthouse and his wife Kathy Keeton and ran from 1978–1995, could be be accessed for free on the Internet Archive, but it was taken down.
According to The Verge:

Earlier this week, Jerrick Media, owner of the Omni brand, announced that it was partnering with the Museum of Science Fiction to put the original issues of the magazine back online — this time in high-resolution. Instead of Archive.org, readers can find all 200 issues of the magazine on Amazon...

It’s a bit of a shame that the issues are no longer on the Internet Archive, but it is good to see that they’re back online once again. A portion of the proceeds from sales of the magazine will go to support the museum.
You can browse back issues at Omni Archive and then if you need to get your hands on a copy you can purchase individual copies from the site via Amazon.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Jag

Post by Jag »

Dune for $2. Think of all the Spice you can buy with the savings.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NASA has some free aerospace books. They've been available for a while, but I just tripped over them from a reddit post.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Forever War for $2. Because why should Marvel get all of your Kindle money?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
$1.99 $7.99

I really enjoyed this book. Since I saw the movie first I was surprised that the book was from the point of view of Chief.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Guests of the Ayatollah is only $2 today.

Great, great book about the Iranian Hostage Crisis. By Mark Bowden, who is probably most famous for writing Black Hawk Down, and who is one of my favorite authors.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Moliere wrote:One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
$1.99 $7.99

I really enjoyed this book. Since I saw the movie first I was surprised that the book was from the point of view of Chief.
It's a phenomenal book. Reading it and watching the movie as a companion piece is wonderful. The book isn't very long, either, IIRC.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Dune
$1.99 $9.99
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Salt: A World History
$1.99 $14.99
A fantastic book about the history and influence salt has had on world events.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

Tor.com eBook Club Selection for June

Highly recommended!