[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Chaz

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Chaz »

Heart Shaped Box is a really excellent read.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I find a $1.99 price point for eBooks irresistible, and having a gift card balance on Amazon works out quite nicely. I've purchased more books than games since January. Crazy talk.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So yay or nay to Wizard's First Rule? If there is already a thread for it, I will slog through it (sounds in depth), but if you could just give a thumbs up/thumbs down, would be much appreciated. :D Crap ton of reviews with 4 stars has me slightly wary ONLY because I have a pretty big backlog of reading.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I hate Terry Goodkind's writing with the passion of a thousand angry suns, but YMMV. :D
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Smoove_B wrote:I find a $1.99 price point for eBooks irresistible, and having a gift card balance on Amazon works out quite nicely. I've purchased more books than games since January. Crazy talk.
Same here. Every new electronic gadget is a wonderful new opportunity . . . to develop a backlog.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Strike one!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Strike one!
I've considered picking it up (we liked Legend of the Seeker for what it was), but Goodkind's raging asshole syndrome has me avoiding his work until I find myself with no backlog.

So sometime around my 111th birthday I may end up picking up Sword of Truth.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, it's weird to me how he hasn't been sued by Robert Jordon's estate. I read Wizard's First Rule (think I was at some sci-fi convention and it was cheap) and the next couple of books and at first I liked it because it seemed like it was a more concise version of Wheel of Time with less characters, but it got repetitive and his ego turned me off. I think I read the Wheel of Time novel where they were invaded and there were collars that controlled magic users and the next Sword of Truth novel, there was an Empire invading and collars that controlled magic users :) Sort of like Sword of Shannara and Lord of the Rings
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I really enjoyed the TV show so I figured I should try the book. I enjoyed probably 80% or so, but towards the end it got...weird. S&M themes that were more or less implied in the TV show were rather explicitly detailed in the book. I still consider it a worthwhile read (particularly if you liked the show) if for no other reason you get to see the source material. It's also probably much easier to carry around on a Kindle than the monster paperback I own. Goodkind definitely comes off like a giant wanker in numerous interviews so I consider purchasing his book for $1.99 a way to tell him what you think he's worth. :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When I finished the book back in the day, I threw it across the room. I even wrote a 1-star review on Amazon. Last I checked, 1/7th of the reviews on Amazon were 1-stars.

I did read a short story in an anthology in the same world that was actually decent, but I couldn't stand the nonsense that was WFR.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I enjoyed Wizards First Rule when I first read it almost 20 years ago. Read the series for about 5 books where it just kept going on and ending every book with a conclusion and then new cliffhanger, and then dropped it like a stone, before he was outed as a serious jerk.

The first book had some interesting twists (to me at the time) on the heroic fantasy hero's journey, but many varied in that opinion. I'd probably read it again, but stop after a book or two - the whole dream army guy was tiresome to me...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know if it's a promotion, but The Sword of Truth Book #2 (Stone of Tears) is $0.00 for Kindle. Or...at least for me.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote:I don't know if it's a promotion, but The Sword of Truth Book #2 (Stone of Tears) is $0.00 for Kindle. Or...at least for me.
For me, as well. 'Purchased', along with book 1 after the wife expressed interest.

Note also that if you're an audiobook person, you can add the narration for $1.99.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

There are a handful of Arthur C. Clarke titles currently on sale for $2.99 each.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not really into these alternate history books, but one of the $1.99 deals for today is Deck Z: The Titanic: Unsinkable. Undead. Not really sure what the rules are for double colon, but the idea of zombies chasing after Leonardo DiCaprio seems interesting enough::
Imagine being trapped aboard the doomed Titanic on an icy Atlantic. . . with the walking dead. This fast-paced thriller reimagines the historical events of the fateful Titanic voyage through the lens of zombie mayhem. Captain Edward Smith and his inner circle desperately try to contain a weaponized zombie virus smuggled on board with the 2,200 passengers sailing to New York. Faced with an exploding population of lumbering, flesh-hungry undead, Smith's team is forced into bloody hand-to-hand combat down the narrow halls of the huge steamer. In its few short days at sea, the majestic Titanic turns into a Victorian bloodbath, steaming at top speed toward a cold, blue iceberg. A creepy, tense page-turner, Deck Z will thrill zombie fans and Titanic buffs alike.
I don't get the impression we're looking at anything serious, but it seems to have decent reviews. I guess if you were looking cheap entertainment...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The whole Narnia set is on sale for Kindle today @ $1.99 ea. Any recommendations? I read the first book back in grade school but never the rest, and I don't know how they hold up for adults.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote:The whole Narnia set is on sale for Kindle today @ $1.99 ea. Any recommendations? I read the first book back in grade school but never the rest, and I don't know how they hold up for adults.
In reply to that, let's hear what the author himself has to say:

"...a book worth reading ONLY in childhood is not worth reading even then." ~C.S. Lewis
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Hopefully you are echoing that sentiment in this case rather than simply pointing out a biased source. :-)
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Zaxxon wrote:The whole Narnia set is on sale for Kindle today @ $1.99 ea. Any recommendations? I read the first book back in grade school but never the rest, and I don't know how they hold up for adults.
They'll go very quickly for an adult, but they're perfectly good reads. Well, all except the last one, anyway.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Chronological order in the Universe is as follows:

6. The Magician's Nephew
1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
5. The Horse and His Boy
2. Prince Caspian
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4. The Silver Chair
7. The Last Battle
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:Chronological order in the Universe is as follows:

6. The Magician's Nephew
1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
5. The Horse and His Boy
2. Prince Caspian
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4. The Silver Chair
7. The Last Battle
I read them both ways and I think the publication order (1-7) is better than in-universe chronological order for a first-time read. The world is presented gradually in the publication order. Chronologically, there are a lot of assumptions of lore made in MN that a reader new to the universe would be lacking. Plus events in books like MN have easter eggs that you can't appreciate without reading previous books.

I think after you've read them in published order, a re-read in chronological order is fine.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Good to know.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

/agrees with LawBeef
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FYI, to celebrate Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 40th anniversary, Amazon is selling the full 5 book bundle for $11.49 paperback hardcopy, or $12.99 Kindle edition.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/034545 ... adtmobs-20" target="_blank
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

The Wool Omnibus is on sale for $4.

I loved this series.
This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Amazon Local (at least in Boston) has a deal for select e-books for $2, including Apocalypse Z:

http://local.amazon.com/boston/B00BSEXC2K" target="_blank

Also, the Da Vinci Code is free on Amazon right now:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Da-Vinci-Code ... ode+kindle" target="_blank
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

El Guapo wrote: Also, the Da Vinci Code is free on Amazon right now:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Da-Vinci-Code ... ode+kindle" target="_blank
Still over priced. :D
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Heh. I picked it up, though the odds that I'll ever actually read it are vanishingly small.

But Apocalypse Z is good, right?
Black Lives Matter.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Kasey Chang wrote:FYI, to celebrate Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 40th anniversary, Amazon is selling the full 5 book bundle for $11.49 paperback hardcopy, or $12.99 Kindle edition.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/034545 ... adtmobs-20" target="_blank
So the copy that you actually own and can resell is cheaper than the Kindle version? Bullshit!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Looks like Amazon's price for the Kindle version is $13, the paper version is $13.60. There's another seller listing the paper version for less, but that's not direct from Amazon.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You should be able to find a copy for much less in a used bookstore -- maybe $5.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
EddieA

Post by EddieA »

Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings is currently on sale for Nook and Kindle for $2.99.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

The Kindle Daily Deal for today has Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle for $1.99. Great book. If you haven't read this classic, grab it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zarathud wrote:You should be able to find a copy for much less in a used bookstore -- maybe $5.
Plus $4 in gas trying to find a used bookstore, $1 in parking and another $2 to get home plus the cost of shelf space and the time it took to go to the bookstore (let's say 90 minutes at $20/hour...)

tapatalkin'
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Today, one of the books featured for $1.99 is Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon.
With this extraordinary first volume in what promises to be an epoch-making masterpiece, Neal Stephenson hacks into the secret histories of nations and the private obsessions of men, decrypting with dazzling virtuosity the forces that shaped this century.

In 1942, Lawrence Pritchard Waterhouse—mathematical genius and young Captain in the U.S. Navy—is assigned to detachment 2702. It is an outfit so secret that only a handful of people know it exists, and some of those people have names like Churchill and Roosevelt. The mission of Waterhouse and Detachment 2702—commanded by Marine Raider Bobby Shaftoe-is to keep the Nazis ignorant of the fact that Allied Intelligence has cracked the enemy's fabled Enigma code. It is a game, a cryptographic chess match between Waterhouse and his German counterpart, translated into action by the gung-ho Shaftoe and his forces.

Fast-forward to the present, where Waterhouse's crypto-hacker grandson, Randy, is attempting to create a "data haven" in Southeast Asia—a place where encrypted data can be stored and exchanged free of repression and scrutiny. As governments and multinationals attack the endeavor, Randy joins forces with Shaftoe's tough-as-nails granddaughter, Amy, to secretly salvage a sunken Nazi submarine that holds the key to keeping the dream of a data haven afloat. But soon their scheme brings to light a massive conspiracy with its roots in Detachment 2702 linked to an unbreakable Nazi code called Arethusa. And it will represent the path to unimaginable riches and a future of personal and digital liberty...or to universal totalitarianism reborn.
The print book is just over 900 pages, so if you're looking to free up some shelf space...
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

And the audiobook is almost 50 hours long. Unrelated, but fun, fact.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Long, yes, but any good?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Dunno. I'm working my way through the Song of Ice and Fire audio books first, which are 30-40 hours each. ;)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Long, yes, but any good?
It's definitely a fantastic read, though I originally read the print version. I do recall there were quite a few symbols and diagrams used in the print version, so I wonder how well they are maintained in the electronic version or if they are simply omitted.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm tempted, but my Kindle backlog is up to 35 items plus half of the WoT that I haven't yet gotten around to buying (which worked out since McMillan just stopped forcing MSRP on Amazon last week). I sound like Kraken or Jeff V, but if I buy it today I'm realistically looking at reading it in 2015.