[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Moliere

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Moliere »

Tor.com's eBook of the Month Club

Wait, why Book 2?

Because THE MAGIC OF RECLUCE, the first book in L.E. Modesitt, Jr's long-running fantasy series series, is currently on sale for $2.99!
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Both the artwork and the title seem like Wheel of Time imitations. ..
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I had the same thought.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The series moves around in the timeline a lot.
The series is published outside of internal chronological order. The first book published in the series occurs near the end of the overall story, with subsequent books jumping further into the past to expand on elements of history. The author recommends reading the books in publication order. As of the eighteenth novel, Heritage of Cyador, the saga covers eight different time periods and eleven major story lines. The stories demonstrate the progression of real-life events into myth and legend over the progression of centuries, as the characters in one book will be known as heroes or mythical figures in other, chronologically later books. Additionally, certain characters appear in multiple books, the protagonists in one novel, appearing as a supporting characters in others.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I remember back when Wheel of Time first hit. You'd go to Waldenbooks and see tons of books with covers that featured that art style and a knock-off WoT font.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I remember reading one or two of his novels a long time ago. I remember liking the way he set up magic in the universe, in a very well thought out, almost scientific, way.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote:Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King is on sale today for $2.99 and it's apparently the first of three books in the series. I will fully admit, that I've fallen out of step with Mr. King; up until the early 2000s I'd read everything he published but apparently after The Dark Tower ended I stopped.
Damn, Smoove. At LEAST read 11/22/63. That is fantastic King, IMO.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Damn, Smoove. At LEAST read 11/22/63. That is fantastic King, IMO.
Read and quite enjoyed. It's one of the random King titles I've read since 2000 that wasn't The Dark Tower; I probably should have specified that.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

For history fans fans...

Fighting the Flying Circus by Eddie Rickenbacker FREE on Amazon (for a limited time)

Yes, the famous ace himself.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kasey Chang wrote:For history fans fans...

Fighting the Flying Circus by Eddie Rickenbacker FREE on Amazon (for a limited time)

Yes, the famous ace himself.
Thanks for posting this, I read history pretty much exclusively and a free book is always worth the cost :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Damn, Smoove. At LEAST read 11/22/63. That is fantastic King, IMO.
Read and quite enjoyed. It's one of the random King titles I've read since 2000 that wasn't The Dark Tower; I probably should have specified that.
Doctor Sleep (the sequel to The Shining) was also fun. His son, Joe Hill, is turning out pretty good too. If you like Doctor Sleep, Hill's NOS4A2 also has a nice bit of cross over.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

Kindle $.99 deal for all those Trump haters.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Time for the monthly Kindle First deal.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's the first JeffV "Kindle has the worst history book selection in the universe" sale. Looks to be about 25 books, up to 85% off. Granted, there isn't a history book on Greek naval warfare from 480–31 BC, but it looks like a solid selection.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm still waiting on his list of dead tree history books so I can buy some of them.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The Tor.com eBook Club Selection for January is:

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I read that specific volume. It's... interesting, but again, very long-winded at times.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kasey Chang wrote:FREE ON AMAZON KINDLE: The Red Knight of Germany: The Story of Baron von Richthofen
Thanks for posting this! It looks interesting and free is always good :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Amazon: The Lies of Locke Lamora $1.99

Use the affiliate link.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Some free fantasy and scifi ebooks, no idea if they're any good or not, but they're on promo

http://www.akmeek.com/promo1/
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Kasey Chang wrote:Some free fantasy and scifi ebooks, no idea if they're any good or not, but they're on promo

http://www.akmeek.com/promo1/
I'll wait for you to read them all and let us know. :wink:
-mf
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Those don't really tickle my fancy though. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Amazon is having a rather large sale on books related to Science and Math, all for under $4. I think I'm going to grab:

This is Your Brain on Parasites
Stuff Matters: Exploring the Marvelous Materials That Shape Our Man-Made World
Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body's Most Underrated Organ
I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life
The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature
Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs: The Astounding Interconnectedness of the Universe
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote:Amazon is having a rather large sale on books related to Science and Math, all for under $4. I think I'm going to grab:
Thanks for posting this info, some good books there.

I got a real bargain yesterday, Neptune's Trident: Spices and Slaves 1500-1807 (A History of the British Merchant Navy) for $0.99. It's the first of five volumes and since the other volumes are only $3.99 apiece I decided to pick them all up :D
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Time for February's Kindle First deal.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The Tor.com eBook Club Selection for February is:

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote:The Tor.com eBook Club Selection for February is:

I really enjoyed these books. I think this may be the first economic theory SF I've seen/read (in addition to its other SF themes). It does take a bit to get going, FWIW as he's laying a lot of groundwork. Haven't read the latest in the series (Empire Games) yet, but the first 3 (or 6, depending on how you find them - the original publisher didn't like the larger tomes, and had him split them into multiple books) are a good read, though they do drag a bit in spots, IMHO - probably in part due to trying to do that split and make the books somewhat whole if read as 6 books.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Oh ah.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For FREE, A Modest Genius: The story of Darwin's life and how his ideas changed everything[Kindle Edition] By: Hanne Strager, Sarah Darwin

By the way, does everyone know about BookBub? I've signed up for a daily email from them regarding ebook deals on History and Science and I'm slowly spending my retirement savings at $1.99 a pop :D
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

jztemple2 wrote:By the way, does everyone know about BookBub? I've signed up for a daily email from them regarding ebook deals on History and Science and I'm slowly spending my retirement savings at $1.99 a pop :D
YES. Some days I just delete them without opening them for fear of adding even more books to my backlog. :(
-mf
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

jztemple2 wrote:By the way, does everyone know about BookBub? I've signed up for a daily email from them regarding ebook deals on History and Science and I'm slowly spending my retirement savings at $1.99 a pop :D
There's also EBookItch.com and OHFB.com (One Hundred Free Books)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Kindle First

March Picks: Choose one of six for FREE
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Tor.com eBook Club selection for March is:

stessier

Post by stessier »

I've never downloaded anything other than directly from Amazon for my Kindle. I just signed up and it looks like I should download the Mobi as I use a Paperwhite. Question - how do I get it on to my Paperwhite? Sorry for being a noob. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

stessier wrote:I've never downloaded anything other than directly from Amazon for my Kindle. I just signed up and it looks like I should download the Mobi as I use a Paperwhite. Question - how do I get it on to my Paperwhite? Sorry for being a noob. :)
Connect it to your PC with a USB cable and transfer the file like you would to any other external media.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gilraen wrote:
stessier wrote:I've never downloaded anything other than directly from Amazon for my Kindle. I just signed up and it looks like I should download the Mobi as I use a Paperwhite. Question - how do I get it on to my Paperwhite? Sorry for being a noob. :)
Connect it to your PC with a USB cable and transfer the file like you would to any other external media.
There's also a link to a guide on how to do that on the Tor page that you download this from.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks gilraen...and :doh:.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles