[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

stessier

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by stessier »

Bought it - Thanks! Now the stupid question - is it any good?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote:I have no idea if Sanderson is planning on writing the other two or if this stands on its own.
I wouldn't hold my breath.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:I have no idea if Sanderson is planning on writing the other two or if this stands on its own.
I wouldn't hold my breath.
In fairness, that post is 4 years old. FWIW, I would not mind at all if they turned it into a Book of the Month club. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It is four years old. There's supposed to be an encyclopedia coming early next year.

After that, who knows? But Sanderson did just start his own 10-volume epic.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Five books in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series are in the $1.99 deal bag today.

I've only read the first and felt meh about it. I probably should have read a few more to fully get a feel (it was rather short) and I've been told Mort (part of this sale) is a much better story (and 4th in the series).

$2? Add it to the pile!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Also, 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' is .99 currently. Seems to be an OO favorite so I picked it up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JM ... UTF8&psc=1" target="_blank
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Gah. Despite the ever growing Kindle backlog, I picked up the first Discworld this morning. Now, I've got the Lies of Locke Lamora too. How can I pass up .99? Plus it sounds pretty good. It might just the line a bit.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Also, 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' is .99 currently. Seems to be an OO favorite so I picked it up.

I bit. Kindle backlog approaching 50. Ugh.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Horns by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) is one of the $1.99 book deals today. I picked it up back in January and would highly recommend it.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Smoove_B wrote:Horns by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) is one of the $1.99 book deals today. I picked it up back in January and would highly recommend it.
Get thee into my backlog! :D
-mf
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Smoove_B wrote:Horns by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) is one of the $1.99 book deals today. I picked it up back in January and would highly recommend it.
I grabbed it for an October read.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

BTW, they were interviewing Daniel Radcliff here at the Toronto Film Festival and I believe one of his movies that was being shown is based on this book (it was about a guy that woke up with horns, but they were calling it a dark comedy)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, I think it was featured in Canada a few weeks ago as part of a film festival and is scheduled to be released worldwide in early 2014.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I could see them playing Horns off as a (very) dark comedy. The book itself wasn't a comedy, but it did have its moments, and it wouldn't take much to make it pretty funny.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I think it's been in my backlog since then. Hmm, Halloween is coming...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Zaxxon wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Also, 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' is .99 currently. Seems to be an OO favorite so I picked it up.

I bit. Kindle backlog approaching 50. Ugh.
Pfft. Amateur! I'm approaching 130 on my Kobo Aura.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

ImLawBoy wrote:I could see them playing Horns off as a (very) dark comedy. The book itself wasn't a comedy, but it did have its moments, and it wouldn't take much to make it pretty funny.
I just started reading Horns, and it's very engaging so far. Very high-concept premise that could easily be adapted for a TV series or a film.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Almost 7 months ago (to the day), Wizards First Rule is now back in the $1.99 spot.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sort of buried in the October monthly deals, you can find the biograhpy of Steven Adler, former drummer in Guns n' Roses - My Appetite for Destruction for $1.99.

I don't know much other than the general story, but he's led a pretty f-ed up existence. I'm almost tempted to read it to see if he offers his perspective on the female moaning during Rocket Queen. How they managed to make that album without killing one another, I'll never know.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I recently read them both and I liked Slash' autobiography better. Steven's is a little...disjointed...in spots. Doesn't seem like he remembers much...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. Apologies to anyone that just decided to get into the Sandman, as Preludes and Nocturnes is the $2.99 deal of the day. :shock:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote:Wow. Apologies to anyone that just decided to get into the Sandman, as Preludes and Nocturnes is the $2.99 deal of the day. :shock:
That would be me. DOH!

I can probably do the chat thing with cust svc and get a credit though.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I think I will grab that and read it on my new iPad I hope to be getting this weekend.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wasn't going to purchase it as I own the original single-issue comics and the graphic novels. But for $2.99 I figured I'd give it a try as I've never used my Fire for reading. Sure enough, on the HD 8.9" it looks absolutely amazing. Now, they just need to put the remaining 9 down to $3 and we have portable Sandman. :D
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote:Wow. Apologies to anyone that just decided to get into the Sandman, as Preludes and Nocturnes is the $2.99 deal of the day. :shock:
Actually, I was able to "return" the content for a full refund since it's within the 7 day window. Nice! Didn't know you could even do that with Kindle content!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure if deal -- Box set of the first 5 Game of Thrones books for $22.59, but individual books can be had for like $2.90. The Kindle prices are certainly more in line with what I'd have expected (i.e. not more expensive than actual book copies).
PLW

Post by PLW »

Smoove_B wrote:I wasn't going to purchase it as I own the original single-issue comics and the graphic novels. But for $2.99 I figured I'd give it a try as I've never used my Fire for reading. Sure enough, on the HD 8.9" it looks absolutely amazing. Now, they just need to put the remaining 9 down to $3 and we have portable Sandman. :D
Sorry I missed this one.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In a move that should surprise no one, today's $2.99 deal is 11/22/63.

Regardless of what you think of Stephen King, this is a really good book. As I said in the thread covering the story, I have very little interest in the events surrounding 11/22/63 but it was a very compelling read -- not really what I thought it was going to be about. Highly recommended.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Smoove_B wrote:In a move that should surprise no one, today's $2.99 deal is 11/22/63.

Regardless of what you think of Stephen King, this is a really good book. As I said in the thread covering the story, I have very little interest in the events surrounding 11/22/63 but it was a very compelling read -- not really what I thought it was going to be about. Highly recommended.
I agree. I didn't think I would like it, but it was a really good book.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Back in the mix today is Joe Abercrombie's The Heroes. While not part of the First Law Trilogy, I do believe it is best that you read the trilogy and next stand alone book first. I've been re-reading the trilogy for the last few months and have found it to be quite enjoyable on my second pass. If for some reason you missed The Heroes, $2 is an amazing deal.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Concur. The Heroes is great.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It's not part of the First Law trilogy? That link to Amazon's page indicates it is.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It's not part of the First Law trilogy? That link to Amazon's page indicates it is.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote:Back in the mix today is Joe Abercrombie's The Heroes. While not part of the First Law trilogy.
Sure about that? Amazon description indicates otherwise.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote:Back in the mix today is Joe Abercrombie's The Heroes. While not part of the First Law trilogy.
Sure about that? Amazon description indicates otherwise.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It is not. Same universe, but not directly related.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Exactly. The trilogy is a self-contained story with a defined beginning, middle and end. You could read just those three books and feel satisfaction (*cough* Martin). For the next three books, they all take place in the same world and contain some of the same characters from the trilogy, but they're not directly related to the story that was part of those first three books. I'd first thought maybe you could read the three stand-alone books outside of reading the trilogy - and you still can -- but I don't think they'd be nearly as enjoyable. These books really are a treAt to read and were instrumental in getting me reading again regularly after our daughter was born. I'd recommend them at every opportunity, particularly if you are a fan of the genre.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

FWIW, I read The Heroes as my first Abercrombie book, then devoured the rest shortly thereafter. I think even if one may miss out on a few in-jokes by starting with The Heroes, it's a great self-contained intro to Abercrombie to test the waters with.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Well with that high praise, I had to buy... but Amazon really should change the way they list it IMO, as they typically only have books in a series listed in parentheses (as they do here), which is misleading.