[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Smoove_B

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Smoove_B »

$1.99 + Zero shelf space will be the death of me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

My Kindle backlog is starting to look like my Steam backlog...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Long, yes, but any good?
I enjoyed it more than Quicksilver, or probably any of those books. It was the first of his mammoth books, and I remember it being very interesting. Anathem was also on the cheap awhile back, and I grabbed it, but still haven't read it.

edit: just grabbed it, as it is one that I think I would re-read (and I don't want to have to lug the hardcover around again).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

American Gods by Neil Gaiman is today's $1.99 deal:
Shadow gets out of prison early when his wife is killed in a car crash. At a loss, he takes up with a mysterious character called Wednesday, who is much more than he appears. In fact, Wednesday is an old god, once known as Odin the All-father, who is roaming America rounding up his forgotten fellows in preparation for an epic battle against the upstart deities of the Internet, credit cards, television, and all that is wired. Shadow agrees to help Wednesday, and they whirl through a psycho-spiritual storm that becomes all too real in its manifestations.
I just re-read this a few months ago for the first time in years (thanks to a $1.99 sale in January) and it holds up. Great book.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Grabbed it this morning. Gaiman is fantastic.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

As did I... thanks!
-mf
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

In.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

My finger was hovering over the order button but I'm glad I checked as I already have purchased the anniversary edition. My Kindle backlog is as extensive as my Steam backlog...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Today, the Sci-Fi deal of the day is Extinction Point for $0.99 -- which is pretty damn cheap. At first I thought it was a mistake or that the book was more of a short story, but it's listed at 308 pages. Never heard of the author, but it has 569 reviews and a 4/5 star rating, which made consider it:
First comes the red rain: a strange, scarlet downpour from a cloudless sky that spreads across cities, nations, and the entire globe. In a matter of panicked hours, every living thing on earth succumbs to swift, bloody death. Yet Emily Baxter, a young newspaper reporter, is mysteriously spared—and now she’s all alone.

But watching the happy life she built for herself in New York City slip away in the wake of a monstrous, inexplicable plague is just the beginning of Emily’s waking nightmare. The world isn’t ending; it’s only changing. And the race that once ruled the earth has now become raw material for use by a new form of life never before seen…on this planet.

With only wits, weapons, and a bicycle, Emily must undertake a grueling journey across a country that’s turning increasingly alien. For though she fears she’s been left to inherit the earth, the truth is far more terrifying than a lifetime of solitude.
About the author:
A native of Cardiff, Wales, Paul Antony Jones now resides near Las Vegas, Nevada, with his wife. He has worked as a newspaper reporter and commercial copywriter, but his passion is penning fiction. A self-described science geek, he's a voracious reader of scientific periodicals, as well as a fan of things mysterious, unknown, and on the fringe. That fascination inspired Extinction Point, his first novel in a proposed series following heroine Emily Baxter's journey into the bizarre new alien world our earth has become. The first sequel, Extinction Point: Exodus will be available soon.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The Amazon.ca reviews are bad. Only 3 but only 2.5 stars
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

OOFE strikes me again.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Zaxxon wrote:OOFE strikes me again.
+1

I saw this deal this morning and passed...but now that Smoove mentions it I HAVE to pick it up...
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I liked Extinction Point. It ends on a bit of a cliff-hanger so it is obviously the first in a series, but I would recommend it for a buck.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Lots of Star Wars titles on the Kindle Daily Deal for May the 4th. I grabbed Zahn's Heir to the Empire (Book I of The Thrawn Trilogy).

My Kindle backlog is approaching Steam levels.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:May the 4th be with you
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

True story - I talked my wife into May 4th for our wedding day, just so I knew I wouldn't forget our anniversary (May the 4th be with you). I didn't reveal my true intentions until after we were married. :pop:
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

YellowKing wrote:True story - I talked my wife into May 4th for our wedding day, just so I knew I wouldn't forget our anniversary (May the 4th be with you). I didn't reveal my true intentions until after we were married. :pop:
it helps me remember my mom's birthday. She never wants anything Star Wars related for her birthday though.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure why they picked book #2, but The Monstrumologist - Curse of the Wendigo is the $1.99 Sci-Fi / Fantasy deal of the day.
While attempting to disprove that Homo vampiris, the vampire, could exist, Dr. Warthrop is asked by his former fiancé to rescue her husband from the Wendigo, a creature that starves even as it gorges itself on human flesh, which has snatched him in the Canadian wilderness. Although Warthrop also considers the Wendigo to be fictitious, he relents and rescues her husband from death and starvation, and then sees the man transform into a Wendigo. Can the doctor and Will Henry hunt down the ultimate predator, who, like the legendary vampire, is neither living nor dead, whose hunger for human flesh is never satisfied? This second book in The Monstrumologist series explores the line between myth and reality, love and hate, genius and madness.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lassr wrote:
YellowKing wrote:True story - I talked my wife into May 4th for our wedding day, just so I knew I wouldn't forget our anniversary (May the 4th be with you). I didn't reveal my true intentions until after we were married. :pop:
it helps me remember my mom's birthday. She never wants anything Star Wars related for her birthday though.
My Mom's birthday too. Separated @ birth? :wub:
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote:
Lassr wrote:
My Mom's birthday too. Separated @ birth? :wub:
My sister's birthday as well.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm guessing this $2.99 sale on 1984 isn't accidental. :ninja:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Others of note (to me at least) that are $2.99:

Book one of the the Mistborn series
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GY ... UTF8&psc=1" target="_blank

Eye of the World: Book one of the Wheel of Time
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002U3 ... UTF8&psc=1" target="_blank
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Billy Ray Cyrus' Hillybilly Heart is on sale for $1.99!!!
I repeat, Billy Ray Cyrus' Hillybilly Heart is on sale for $1.99!!!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

McNutt wrote:Billy Ray Cyrus' Hillybilly Heart is on sale for $1.99!!!
I repeat, Billy Ray Cyrus' Hillybilly Heart is on sale for $1.99!!!
Dude. It's "Hillbilly", not "Hillybilly". That would just be silly. Considering who this is coming from, I guess it would have been more apt though. Achy/breaky, hilly/billy.

EDIT DAMMIT: Now that I have wasted way too much time thinking about this, why the hell DIDN'T he name his book Hilly Billy Heart? Surely some editor thought about it? In any case, I will of course be picking this one up, along with the others in today's "Books Based on The Worst, Popular Songs in the History of Music" sale.

Those would be:
"The Unabridged History of 'The Macarena'"
"Songcrafting: How Eddie Murphy Wrote 'Party All the Time' (with Bonus CD including a whopping 59 alt versions!"
"Nice, Nice Baby - An In Depth Look at Vanilla Ice's Early Years"
"Who Turned the Lights Out? A Sobering Look at the Baha Men's Rise and Fall"
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Don't read my book. My hilly billy book.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I've already got a physical copy of this. I'm gonna pick up a digital version so I don't have to find which box it's in when I want to reread it...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski is one of the $1.99 deals today.

Gamers might recognize the book as it's the one that introduces the character featured in The Witcher -- Geralt of Rivia. It's a short book and I'm certain there's a bit that's lost in the translation from Polish, but as a fan of the first game, I enjoyed the book as a way to round out the story a bit more.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Thanks for the tip, Smoove. I'm (slowly) playing the Witcher right now. Bought.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know if I would have enjoyed the book as a stand-alone title, but being able to relate the characters to the game was definitely a bonus. Again, I don't know if there were things lost in the translation or if it's part of the writing style, but there are definitely parts that feel off. On the whole, I think it was worth reading - particularly for $2. :)
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Smoove_B wrote:I don't know if I would have enjoyed the book as a stand-alone title, but being able to relate the characters to the game was definitely a bonus. Again, I don't know if there were things lost in the translation or if it's part of the writing style, but there are definitely parts that feel off. On the whole, I think it was worth reading - particularly for $2. :)
Should I finish the game before reading the book, or the reverse, or does it matter?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I believe there's only one story that could be related to the story in the game, and in checking the Wiki page, it's considered "non-cannon" -- the rest are all things that happened before the game starts. However, if you liked the opening cinematic where Geralt is fighting the Striga, the story behind that is in the book. It is a plot element that is a part of the game later on, but nothing in the book spoils that part of the game.

I don't believe the author considers the book to be part of the Witcher universe either - the game is "inspired by" his writings. I read the book long after (it wasn't even available in English until a few years ago), but I think you'd be ok reading it now. Unless that's going to be an excuse as to why you're taking so long to finish it. :) It's a pretty quick read, FWIW.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The Thin Red Line is $2.99 for at least today (according to the ad on my Kindle). Anyone know if it is any good?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Smoove_B wrote:I believe there's only one story that could be related to the story in the game, and in checking the Wiki page, it's considered "non-cannon" -- the rest are all things that happened before the game starts. However, if you liked the opening cinematic where Geralt is fighting the Striga, the story behind that is in the book. It is a plot element that is a part of the game later on, but nothing in the book spoils that part of the game.

I don't believe the author considers the book to be part of the Witcher universe either - the game is "inspired by" his writings. I read the book long after (it wasn't even available in English until a few years ago), but I think you'd be ok reading it now. Unless that's going to be an excuse as to why you're taking so long to finish it. :) It's a pretty quick read, FWIW.
Solid, thanks for the informative response.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

I read it way before game and before English translation, at the time it was only available in Russian (and what ever original language was, i think polish). I liked it a lot, and one of the reasons i tried first game. Game turned out not be my cup of tea, but the books were excellent.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Today's $1.99 deal is Raylan by Elmore Leonard.
With more than forty novels to his credit and still going strong, the legendary Elmore Leonard has well earned the title, “America’s greatest crime writer” (Newsweek). And U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens (Pronto, Riding the Rap, Fire in the Hole) is one of Leonard’s most popular creations, thanks in part to the phenomenal success of the hit TV series “Justified.” Leonard’s Raylan shines a spotlight once again on the dedicated, if somewhat trigger-happy lawman, this time in his familiar but not particularly cozy milieu of Harlan County, Kentucky, where the drug dealing Crowe brothers are branching out into the human body parts business. Suspenseful, darkly wry and riveting, and crackling with Leonard’s trademark electric dialogue, Raylan is prime Grand Master Leonard as you have always loved him and always will.
From reading the comments, it seems like this book was released in 2012, but written before Season 2 of the TV series. There are parallels to the show, but it's not a 1:1 translation. Not sure if it would be confusing to read...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Today's deals include several of the GRRM-edited Wild Cards series. Anyone read these and have a recommendation?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It looks like the sale Wild Cards books are #1, #2, and then #18, #19, and #20. Bizarre.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote:It looks like the sale Wild Cards books are #1, #2, and then #18, #19, and #20. Bizarre.
Those are pretty much the only ones by "Wild Cards Trust" and the only ones available on Kindle. There are different authors each book. Might be licensing issues with the others not attributed to the Trust." The Trust probably has a different deal, it was a collaborative effort with Martin editing.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And now that you mention that, I think I recall Martin mentioning that the later books were the only ones available on Kindle at one point in the not-too-distant past, and that they were slowly working their way toward re-releasing the older ones. So that makes more sense--#21 is out on Kindle but is the newest volume, so it's not super-discounted. #s 4 through 17 have not yet been released on Kindle. #s 1 and 2 have been released in the past couple of years on Kindle, and #3 hits in Feb.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Today is New Spring: The Novel from Robert Jordan. It's the first of three (?) in a series of prequels for the Wheel of Time.

It was a short story originally, but later expanded into a novel. I have no idea if Sanderson is planning on writing the other two or if this stands on its own.