[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Isgrimnur

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Isgrimnur »

$2.99 - The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time - the posthumous collection of Douglas Adams material.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Such a great bittersweet book. Would recommend.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The first six books of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher are bundled as part of the sales this week for $7.99. While that might not seem like a crazy deal at first, the next six books in a bundle are $55. I can't recall ever seeing this bundle before, but considering the first book alone is $3 this seems worth it if you've had it in your wishlist for a while.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, reviews are great. Never heard of it. Is it pulpy? Not opposed to that at all if it’s a page turner, but would like to know before buying. Sounds interesting.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Purchased.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:04 am Wow, reviews are great. Never heard of it. Is it pulpy? Not opposed to that at all if it’s a page turner, but would like to know before buying. Sounds interesting.
Hells bells! Don't make me glower at you waiting to purchase the books. (two inside jokes) Anyway, they are fun and quick reads. I enjoyed them. It helps to read them in order since there is a bit of a story arc.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sweet, I see that my library has it in ebook format. Added! Thanks for tip.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sold.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I hadn't heard of the series at all until it appeared on SyFy back in 2007. According to the author:
"The show is not the books. It is not meant to follow the same story. It is meant as an alternate world, where the overall background and story-world is similar, but not all the same things happen. The show is not attempting to recreate the books on a chapter-by-chapter or even story-by-story basis".
Regardless, I enjoyed the show and there seems to be overwhelming praise for the books.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've read them all. The books get repetitive, but you should be good through the first six.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:04 am Wow, reviews are great. Never heard of it. Is it pulpy? Not opposed to that at all if it’s a page turner, but would like to know before buying. Sounds interesting.
Buy it. They are great. Also was a TV show awhile back.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

The books are as close in tone to Buffy the Vampire Slayer as anything else in book form. I disagree that they get repetitive. I think they keep getting better for the most part. The first two are a bit slow as he is coming into his own as a writer, but by book 4, I was loving them.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The repetition is (1)Dresden always has just barely enough energy to pull off one last spell/move/action and (2)there is almost always something he set up ahead of time that arrives just in time to save them from certain doom.

Sorry for spoiling every book in the series for everyone. Yes, for the most part, the settings, allies, mysteries and dire circumstances change from one book to the next, but there is an eerie similar to how things play out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:14 am Yeah, I hadn't heard of the series at all until it appeared on SyFy back in 2007. According to the author:
"The show is not the books. It is not meant to follow the same story. It is meant as an alternate world, where the overall background and story-world is similar, but not all the same things happen. The show is not attempting to recreate the books on a chapter-by-chapter or even story-by-story basis".
Regardless, I enjoyed the show and there seems to be overwhelming praise for the books.
Enjoyed all the books, and eagerly awaiting the next one. The writing in the first book or two is a bit pedestrian, but really improves as the series advances.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’ve never seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:41 pm I’ve never seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Image
Enlarge Image
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:41 pm I’ve never seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Image
You're not alone.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Grundbegriff wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:14 pm
You're not alone.
Nope, not alone at all.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:17 pm
You're not alone.
Nope, not alone at all.
+1...never had time for that nonsense...

Well, except for the movie. Because Kristy Swanson...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

You guys are missing out. That show was genius. Not only did it tackle multiple complex social issues under the guise of a teen supernatural drama, it pre-dated all the "kick-ass heroine" stuff that is all the rage these days by two decades. Don't let the somewhat cheesy exterior fool you - that show was way ahead of its time and sported some of the best writing and dialogue on television.

I converted many a friend from "I'm not watching that stupid shit" to "OMG I LOVE BUFFY!!!!"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ayup.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

You're not alone.
It is widely studied in academia.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:17 amNot only did it tackle multiple complex social issues....
So more preaching. Just what the world of entertainment needs. ;)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:17 amit pre-dated all the "kick-ass heroine" stuff that is all the rage these days by two decades.
Xena, Sheena, Star Trek: Voyager (with a female captain and the female Klingon), Charmed, a mother-daughter bounty hunter show that was on USA (I didn't really watch much, just remember the commercial had the song "One way or another, I'm gonna getcha"). There may have been 1-2 other kick-ass heroine shows around that time?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson
$3.99
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:22 pm
YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:17 amit pre-dated all the "kick-ass heroine" stuff that is all the rage these days by two decades.
Xena, Sheena, Star Trek: Voyager (with a female captain and the female Klingon), Charmed, a mother-daughter bounty hunter show that was on USA (I didn't really watch much, just remember the commercial had the song "One way or another, I'm gonna getcha"). There may have been 1-2 other kick-ass heroine shows around that time?
Oh yeah, that show with the women that did those things on USA and that had some sort of name really changed television culture forever.
Black Lives Matter.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Moliere wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:37 am Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson
$3.99
A caution about this book... I saw this in a review over on the Amazon page:
First off, I love Neil deGrasse Tyson. He's one of my idols and I aspire to be where he is. My issue with this book is that I read it directly after reading his book "Death by Black Hole"...and A LOT of the content from that book is inserted into this one...word for word. It was disappointing to say the least. I pre-ordered this book two months ago and was excited when it came. I actually do really like the size of it, but the content troubles me.

I will always read his books but I don't like that there is very little original content in this one. If you already own Death by Black Hole and Origins, save your money. You already have this entire book.
I just read "Death by Black Hole" and so I'm going to skip this book for that reason, and also because it is $3.99. I don't want Amazon to start raising that default $1.99 bargain price I've been paying for ebooks :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I would agree with that review. I listened to the audio book and found a lot of the content to be repeating things I have heard him say in various talks and speeches. It's a good book for people new to science and NDT.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I bought it only because I don't have his other books and I didn't want to waste an Audible credit on the audiobook version which is really short.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:42 am
Oh yeah, that show with the women that did those things on USA and that had some sort of name really changed television culture forever.
Think maybe it was "The Huntress". There was also La Femme Nikita.

Does your comment that that one show wasn't a TV culture changer mean you think the others were?

Either way, I didn't mean they were culture changing TV shows (and I rather doubt the majority of the kick-ass female TV shows on today will be defined as "culture changing" 20 years from now). Just that there were a number of TV shows with kick-ass female leads somewhere in the timeframe of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Are there more today? Maybe, can't say. Pay far less attention to TV now than I did back then.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:32 pm

Does your comment that that one show wasn't a TV culture changer mean you think the others were?

Either way, I didn't mean they were culture changing TV shows (and I rather doubt the majority of the kick-ass female TV shows on today will be defined as "culture changing" 20 years from now). Just that there were a number of TV shows with kick-ass female leads somewhere in the timeframe of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Are there more today? Maybe, can't say. Pay far less attention to TV now than I did back then.
Just teasing you a little bit about the cultural influence of "that show with the women that did those things".

Anyway, it's not that Buffy was unique in having a tough heroine or anything. It's just that it was uniquely influential among the shows of its day because it was so phenomenally written and executed, and that because it was so influential it helped define the "kick-ass heroine" for later TV shows and movies (your Katniss Everdeen's, essentially).

The other shows are mostly far less influential, and certainly less influential on the "kick-ass heroine" model. Voyager had powerful women but not action-hero women. Xena is probably more remembered today for its lesbian overtones than anything else on the show.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:55 am
Zenn7 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:32 pm

Just teasing you a little bit about the cultural influence of "that show with the women that did those things".

Anyway, it's not that Buffy was unique in having a tough heroine or anything. It's just that it was uniquely influential among the shows of its day because it was so phenomenally written and executed, and that because it was so influential it helped define the "kick-ass heroine" for later TV shows and movies (your Katniss Everdeen's, essentially).

The other shows are mostly far less influential, and certainly less influential on the "kick-ass heroine" model. Voyager had powerful women but not action-hero women. Xena is probably more remembered today for its lesbian overtones than anything else on the show.
A little teasing is cool. Except I got frustrated I couldn't find that damn show from USA and spent like 30 minutes looking for it... :grund: (30 minutes of my life I could have spent gaming and will never get back... all your fault! curse you! :p )

Not having watched more than a couple minutes of Buffy, I can't dispute you there. And I certainly recognize that it is still the most widely talked about (except maybe in Star Trek circles) of all the shows listed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Research is its own reward.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, the Kindle First, now renamed "Amazon First Reads", is out. I picked the one about the Soviet Aviatrix.

And it seems a lot of Star Trek ebooks are on sale. Most Star Trek novels NEVER get discounted (usually 6 or 7 or 8 each), but now, it seems 1/3 of them are down to $0.99 or $1.99 to celebrate Trek anniversary.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:51 pm A Scanner Darkly $2.99
I thought "cool!" and clicked through the link only to notice a note saying "you purchased this title on October 7, 2012". :doh:
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:12 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:51 pm A Scanner Darkly $2.99
I thought "cool!" and clicked through the link only to notice a note saying "you purchased this title on October 7, 2012". :doh:
The drugs will do that to you.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

This is normally $7.99, now $2.99:

https://www.amazon.com/Legends-II-Novel ... daemail-20

Legends II: New Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy

An acclaimed anthology of original short novels by some of the greatest writers in fantasy fiction, including Terry Brooks, Diana Gabaldon, Neil Gaiman, George R. R. Martin, and Anne McCaffrey
Spoiler:
Legends II picks up where its illustrious predecessor left off. All of the bestselling writers represented in Legends II return to the special universe of the imagination that its author has made famous throughout the world. Whether set before or after events already recounted elsewhere, whether featuring beloved characters or compelling new creations, these masterful short novels are both mesmerizing stand-alones—perfect introductions to the work of their authors—and indispensable additions to the epics on which they are based.

ROBIN HOBB returns to the Realm of the Elderlings with “Homecoming,” a powerful tale in which exiles sent to colonize the Cursed Shores find themselves sinking into an intoxicating but deadly dream . . . or is it a memory?

GEORGE R. R. MARTIN continues the adventures of Dunk, a young hedge knight, and his unusual squire, Egg, in “The Sworn Sword,” set a generation before the events in A Song of Ice and Fire.

ORSON SCOTT CARD tells a tale of Alvin Maker and the mighty Mississippi, featuring a couple of ne’er-do-wells named Jim Bowie and Abe Lincoln, in “The Yazoo Queen.”

DIANA GABALDON turns to an important character from her Outlander saga—Lord John Grey—in “Lord John and the Succubus,” a supernatural thriller set in the early days of the Seven Years War.

ROBERT SILVERBERG spins an enthralling tale of Majipoor’s early history—and remote future—as seen through the eyes of a dilettantish poet who discovers an unexpected destiny in “The Book of Changes.”

TAD WILLIAMS explores the strange afterlife of Orlando Gardiner, from his Otherland saga, in “The Happiest Dead Boy in the World.”

ANNE McCAFFREY shines a light into the most mysterious and wondrous of all places on Pern in the heartwarming “Beyond Between.”

RAYMOND E. FEIST turns from the great battles of the Riftwar to the story of one soldier, a young man about to embark on the ride of his life, in “The Messenger.”

ELIZABETH HAYDON tells of the destruction of Serendair and the fate of its last defenders in “Threshold,” set at the end of the Third Age of her Symphony of Ages series.

NEIL GAIMAN gives us a glimpse into what befalls the man called Shadow after the events of his Hugo Award–winning novel American Gods in “The Monarch of the Glen.”

TERRY BROOKS adds an exciting epilogue to The Wishsong of Shannara in “Indomitable,” the tale of Jair Ohmsford’s desperate quest to complete the destruction of the evil Ildatch . . . armed only with the magic of illusion.
With a who's who of authors like that, I should probably check Vol. 1 as well.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Got a Kindle for Christmas. Went to get a few books and was a bit shocked to see they were regular paperback prices. I thought they would be cheaper. Other than this thread is there anywhere I can look for cheap Fantasy/Sci-Fi classics for the Kindle?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯