[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Isgrimnur

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sold. Into the backlog it goes.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jag wrote:Code Breakers Complete Books 1-4. $.99
Book Description: Code Breakers has been one of the highest rated sci fi series on Amazon for the last four years, with over a million downloads and conversion into an RPG setting. Containing all four novels of the series, this box set will delight fans of gritty post-apocalyptic fiction, with a cyberpunk flavor.

Often compared to the early works of William Gibson and Neal Stephenson, Code Breakers is a fast-paced, action-packed and thought-provoking series. Barnes has injected the world full of interesting characters, AIs, droids, and advanced tech in a post-cataclysmic setting where the very idea of freedom has to be fought for.

Join Gerry, Gabe, and Petal in this epic tale of survival, cutting edge science, and a thrill-a-minute adventure that will have you turning pages as fast as you can, as our heroes struggle for their lives, and for the future of humanity itself.

Contains four full length novels: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Delta with a special offer included inside (at the end of the book).
Never heard of it, but I'll pick it up for a buck.

I finished the first book and keep trying to get started on the second.

I think we overpaid.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm only 11% into the series - so maybe half way through the first book. I'm trying to decide if I want to finish it. I never bailed in the middle of a book - this may be the first.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stessier wrote:I'm only 11% into the series - so maybe half way through the first book. I'm trying to decide if I want to finish it. I never bailed in the middle of a book - this may be the first.
well, I guess you helped me decide if I want to start reading it or not. The answer would be not.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

stessier wrote:I'm only 11% into the series - so maybe half way through the first book. I'm trying to decide if I want to finish it. I never bailed in the middle of a book - this may be the first.
Forgot I had it. Backer into the back log it goes!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It wasn't something I personally enjoyed reading, but I do know that Perdido Street Station was highly regarded when it was originally released. For $1.99 maybe you'll feel differently.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Got my first Kindle today. Received July's free Kindle First book: Emotional Rescue: Essays on Love, Loss, and Life--With a Soundtrack by Ben Greenman. The other 5 choices looked uninteresting.

Anything else a new Kindle user should be aware of? I don't really plan on spending money to buy books so I am looking for the free stuff from Amazon or borrowing them from the library.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

If you have prime, there is the free kindle book each month you can check out from a pretty large selection.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

There's also ohfb.com (one hundred free books) though most of their books tends to be new authors trying to get some extra downloads and tends to be recipe books (of dubious value), romance novels (of dubious quality, including a lot of 'genre' romance like 'clean Christian', 'were-creature BBW', 'billionaire playboy', etc.) but occasionally you find some decent ones. They also lists sales.

They do get a bonus for each book downloaded, even if it's free. :) (I'm in the affiliate program, I know)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Moliere wrote:Anything else a new Kindle user should be aware of? I don't really plan on spending money to buy books so I am looking for the free stuff from Amazon or borrowing them from the library.
If you don't mind getting a daily email from them, I recommend BookBub. You sign up, tell them what genres you're interested in, then they send you a daily list of Kindle books that are on sale in your chosen genres. They typically range from 99 cents to $2.99, but there are quite a few free ones as well.

My wife and I find a good portion of our books through them.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Moliere wrote:Got my first Kindle today. Received July's free Kindle First book: Emotional Rescue: Essays on Love, Loss, and Life--With a Soundtrack by Ben Greenman. The other 5 choices looked uninteresting.

Anything else a new Kindle user should be aware of? I don't really plan on spending money to buy books so I am looking for the free stuff from Amazon or borrowing them from the library.
They don't make it easy to search the freebie books IMO, so you may want to use this direct link and bookmark it (you will still need to "buy" the book from the Kindle, but with this, you can more easily search and sort):

http://tinyurl.com/jlquyuk
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

YellowKing wrote:If you don't mind getting a daily email from them, I recommend BookBub. You sign up, tell them what genres you're interested in, then they send you a daily list of Kindle books that are on sale in your chosen genres. They typically range from 99 cents to $2.99, but there are quite a few free ones as well.

Signed up. Thanks!
Carpet_pissr wrote:http://tinyurl.com/jlquyuk
The link seems to be for Amazon Unlimited their monthly subscription service.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

YellowKing wrote:If you don't mind getting a daily email from them, I recommend BookBub. You sign up, tell them what genres you're interested in, then they send you a daily list of Kindle books that are on sale in your chosen genres. They typically range from 99 cents to $2.99, but there are quite a few free ones as well.

Thanks for posting this, it sounds quite useful.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Moliere wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:http://tinyurl.com/jlquyuk
The link seems to be for Amazon Unlimited their monthly subscription service.
If you access it from your Kindle, those same books should show up as "borrowable" for free as well.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Moliere wrote:Anything else a new Kindle user should be aware of?
Ah, yes. Prime members can "lend out" their library as well, to other prime members. You have a free month of prime, enjoy it while you can.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... =200757120
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Kasey Chang wrote:
Moliere wrote:Anything else a new Kindle user should be aware of?
Ah, yes. Prime members can "lend out" their library as well, to other prime members. You have a free month of prime, enjoy it while you can.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... =200757120
Thanks for the link. I had forgotten about this.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Thanks Pyperkub, I signed up. I read a lot of Tor fantasy stuff so that's right up my alley.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Signed up and d/l this month's book: The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Darn, looks like I'm a little late for the book.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Baen also has some free offerings.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Picked up this month's Kindle First book: "The Shelf Life of Happiness" by David Machado. It's a great way to get free books by authors I wouldn't normally read.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The Tor.com eBook Club Selection for August
This title will be available for download through August 1st to August 7th. Once you download the book it is yours to keep! But the download window itself is only open for the first 7 days of August.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

So far 0-2 on the free monthly Tor books. I read 50 or so pages and couldn't bring myself to finish them.

The Tor.com eBook Club Selection for September:

Gardens of the Moon will be available from September 1-7.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, all the books I reviewed can be "borrowed" from me if you have prime membership. :)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kasey Chang wrote:FWIW, all the books I reviewed can be "borrowed" from me if you have prime membership. :)
And a Kindle device...that feature doesn't work for those of us who only read via Kindle apps unfortunately.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

A kindle device is as cheap as $50. :)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere wrote:So far 0-2 on the free monthly Tor books. I read 50 or so pages and couldn't bring myself to finish them.

The Tor.com eBook Club Selection for September:

Gardens of the Moon will be available from September 1-7.
For anyone else that picked up this book here is A Beginner’s Guide to Malazan Characters.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I haven't started Gardens of the Moon yet, but when I do I'm just going to take the advice of friends who have read it who said - if you're confused, don't fret it and keep going. To a man, they've all said that at some point (and it may be 2-3 books down the road), things will start to click into place.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tor's October Book of the Month is Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear. Available Oct 3-9.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Book 1 of The Expanse, Leviathan Wakes is $2.99 today. I really enjoyed the SyFy show (which I guess covered this first book?), so I'm thinking this is a good deal.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Smoove_B wrote:Book 1 of The Expanse, Leviathan Wakes is $2.99 today. I really enjoyed the SyFy show (which I guess covered this first book?), so I'm thinking this is a good deal.
Fantastic series. Don't judge it by the first book, which is really good, but the series takes some really wild twists and turns. One of my favorites.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Any one using the new "Prime Reading" feature that lets you read about 1000+ books free of charge w/o paying for Kindle Unlimited? (Obviously you need Prime membership)
Carpet_pissr

[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yup. 'Checked out' a book on drawing dragons. Clarification: how to draw dragons.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Oh yes, I was super excited. Grabbed the first book of the Wayward Pines trilogy since I really enjoyed the author's latest book. Really interested in checking out the comic/graphic novel selection as well.
Carpet_pissr wrote:'Checked out' a book on drawing dragons.
Since dragons don't exist, how do you know you're drawing them correctly? That book is a lie!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I eat lies for breakfast, yo!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King is on sale today for $2.99 and it's apparently the first of three books in the series. I will fully admit, that I've fallen out of step with Mr. King; up until the early 2000s I'd read everything he published but apparently after The Dark Tower ended I stopped.

It's also the last day of the November deals and of note:

The Handmaid's Tale for $2.99

Cryptonomicon for $1.99

Stuff Matters: Exploring Marvelous Materials for $2.99

Remarkable Creatures: Epic Adventures in the Search for the Origins of Species

Vaccinated: Triumph, Controversy, and An Uncertain Future
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B wrote:Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King is on sale today for $2.99 and it's apparently the first of three books in the series. I will fully admit, that I've fallen out of step with Mr. King; up until the early 2000s I'd read everything he published but apparently after The Dark Tower ended I stopped.
I continue to read everything he's written because I am a completionist and for the most part they are at least entertaining. This 3 part series is decent except for his anti-capitalist and anti-Wall Street rants.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King is on sale today for $2.99 and it's apparently the first of three books in the series. I will fully admit, that I've fallen out of step with Mr. King; up until the early 2000s I'd read everything he published but apparently after The Dark Tower ended I stopped.
I continue to read everything he's written because I am a completionist and for the most part they are at least entertaining. This 3 part series is decent except for his anti-capitalist and anti-Wall Street rants.
I don't even remember any of those. Ah well

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Pyperkub wrote:
Moliere wrote:
I don't even remember any of those. Ah well
I'm probably overly sensitive to authors that use their novels as a forum to rant their political views.