Free App Deals of the Day Thread

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Ralph-Wiggum

Free App Deals of the Day Thread

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm surprised there is no one thread detailing the various daily deal/free apps for iOS and Android devices; it seems like a separate thread is created each time someone wants to alert us about a free app. I figured it might be nice to consolidate all those threads into one nice, continually rolling thread with notable daily deals.

So to start us off, I'll note that The Bard's Tale is free today for Android users. Note that after the initial download you will need to install a 1.5 gig or 3.5 gig graphics update (standard or high def, respectively).
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Re: Free App Deals of the Day Thread

Post by TheMix »

Good idea.

I try to check regularly, but I miss some now and again.

I did grab this one. But I didn't know about the additional download. Fired it off now while I'm not actually trying to play.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Thanks! "Purchased."
Black Lives Matter.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Great idea, the FAOD has been improving in quality lately. I've picked up some very nice calculators and games with few permissions required that I actually want to play. I've also been meaning to try and get folks to share their must have apps in that EBG thread.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

In picking this up I also discovered, to my surprise, that [Japan #] Final Fantasy III is available in an updated app form.
Black Lives Matter.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

Amazon Appstore is having a birthday sale today and tomorrow Link

Toca Lab ($2.99)
Ski Safari: Adventure Time ($0.99)
Monopoly ($4.99)
Spin Art ($1.99)
Dr. Panda's Airport ($1.99)
Fruit Ninja: Puss in Boots ($0.99)
SketchBook Pro ($4.99)
Worms 2: Armageddon (Kindle Tab Edition) ($0.99)
Worms 2: Armageddon ($0.99)
Swype Keyboard ($3.99)
POLARIS Office ($12.99)
mSecure - Password Manager and Secure Digital Wallet ($9.99)
Runtastic PRO GPS Running, Walking & Fitness Tracker ($4.99)
PrintHand Mobile Print Premium ($12.95)
King of Math Junior ($1.99)
Battle Maiden Yuko Runner ($10.00)
"Adam was but human - this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent."
-- Mark Twain .

XBL: Hiccup1
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Hiccup wrote:Amazon Appstore is having a birthday sale today and tomorrow Link

Toca Lab ($2.99)
Ski Safari: Adventure Time ($0.99)
Monopoly ($4.99)
Spin Art ($1.99)
Dr. Panda's Airport ($1.99)
Fruit Ninja: Puss in Boots ($0.99)
SketchBook Pro ($4.99)
Worms 2: Armageddon (Kindle Tab Edition) ($0.99)
Worms 2: Armageddon ($0.99)
Swype Keyboard ($3.99)
POLARIS Office ($12.99)
mSecure - Password Manager and Secure Digital Wallet ($9.99)
Runtastic PRO GPS Running, Walking & Fitness Tracker ($4.99)
PrintHand Mobile Print Premium ($12.95)
King of Math Junior ($1.99)
Battle Maiden Yuko Runner ($10.00)
Just to clarify: all these apps are free (I think the parenthetical prices are their normal cost).
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Office Suite Profession 7 is free for Android phones at Amazon's app store today. Don't know if it's any good, but it normally costs $15.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's okay. I had it from a prior giveaway.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Enough

Post by Enough »

Amazon has $40 worth of music apps for free, you can see them here. Some good ones like TuneIn Radio.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Enough

Post by Enough »

Bonus freebie, Cerberus anti-theft app is celebrating their birthday by giving away free licenses for 30 hours which ends April 26th, at 6AM (GMT).

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Not the deal of the day, but the complete first season of The Walking Dead is free right now. For the 2 people that haven't played it, this is a must have game if you have any interest in adventure games.
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Not the deal of the day, but the complete first season of The Walking Dead is free right now. For the 2 people that haven't played it, this is a must have game if you have any interest in adventure games.
Err, I havent downloaded it, but it's not the complete first season: "Episode one of a five-part game series (Episode 2-5 can be purchased via in-app)"
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Defiant wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Not the deal of the day, but the complete first season of The Walking Dead is free right now. For the 2 people that haven't played it, this is a must have game if you have any interest in adventure games.
Err, I havent downloaded it, but it's not the complete first season: "Episode one of a five-part game series (Episode 2-5 can be purchased via in-app)"
:oops:

A bit confusing that they call it The Complete First Season then. I guess they just mean that the first season is done?
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

For those of you that haven't had enough of Angry Birds, Angry Birds Star Wars 2 is free today on Amazon.
Black Lives Matter
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

Though the Amazon App Store: 9 free camera/photo related apps

PLUS, 100 coins per. So, 9 apps for -$9.
"Adam was but human - this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent."
-- Mark Twain .

XBL: Hiccup1
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Today's free app of the day is Inferno+. I've played it for just a little bit but it seems pretty fun.
Black Lives Matter
Enough

Post by Enough »

"Buy" 5 free apps and get $10 in Amazon coins for free (1000). Here's the link on what ones to get, and then if you really want to work the system go and buy GTA San Andreas with your newly acquired bounty and then earn 2000 coins for free to get even more free coins. Pro tip: you can do this all on the website and get the benefit and you are not required to install the free apps. I know Strawberry Shortcake will be hanging out on my Amazon cloud account for most likely all eternity.

Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Enough wrote:"Buy" 5 free apps and get $10 in Amazon coins for free (1000). Here's the link on what ones to get, and then if you really want to work the system go and buy GTA San Andreas with your newly acquired bounty and then earn 2000 coins for free to get even more free coins. Pro tip: you can do this all on the website and get the benefit and you are not required to install the free apps. I know Strawberry Shortcake will be hanging out on my Amazon cloud account for most likely all eternity.
Worked like a charm. The wife was rather excited to wake up to 2000+ free app money.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Anyone got any recommendations for apps from the Amazon app store? I did the thing and got all these coins and I'm not seeing much interesting in there.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Threes
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

cheeba wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for apps from the Amazon app store? I did the thing and got all these coins and I'm not seeing much interesting in there.
Here's a list of some of the games I've enjoyed (strategy/puzzle/adventure), YMMV

Devil's Attorney
Out There
Star Command
FliPix Art games
Game Dev Story
Rube Works

Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator is good if you have others you can play with (especially if one or more people have the desktop version to run as the server)

There are also good pc games that have been ported (Transport Tycoon, Last Express, Simon the sorcerer, Rocket Ranger, etc)

IF you like Choose your own adventure games:
Fighting Fantasy: Starship Traveler
Other games by Tin Man Games or by Choice of Games

board games:
Small World
Ticket to ride
Hey, Thats my fish
Elder Signs: Omen
Carcassone

And don't forget there are other, non-game apps available.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I've used my coins for two games so far: Out There and 100000. 100000 is fun, but I'm not sure I quite get the hype for it. I've definitely enjoyed Out There more; it reminds me of a cross between Star Control 2, FTL, and a choose your own adventure. I'm sure it will get old as parts of the game start repeating, but so far even seeing repeat scenarios hasn't bothered me much.

If you really want to go crazy with your coins, there are some good in-depth RPGs by Spiderweb such as Black Fortress and Avernum. I think they each cost $10 or 1000 coins.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:100000 is fun, but I'm not sure I quite get the hype for it.
Tablet and phone games are largely mind-numbing drek. When one is somewhat less mind-numbing, there is hype.

Note this post is somewhat tongue in cheek. I have yet to find a mobile game that is anything but a time waster (I don't have a tablet... except that one Zaxxon sold me that I never use for anything.)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I picked up Wasted Land. I like the Cthulhu stuff. And the turned based combat.

I got Bard's Tale when it was the FAotD. It is basically the PC game. Huge amount of content for the price.

I've also been eyeing the Black Fortress game. I remember when it came out for the PC. I thought about picking it up then. Using coins that I got for free on it seems like a no-brainer. So that one will probably join the others one of these days.

I've found that most of the simple games just don't hold my attention. Most of my time has been in a Sudoku game and FliPix Art games.

I've also been looking at one that is described as Skyrim-lite. But I haven't decided yet.

Edit: Corrected one of the game names.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Does Black Fortress look good on a phone? My HTC one is high def but the screen is like 4.7".
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think Black Fortress may be a bit tough on a phone. I played it on my 7" Kindle Fire and I would occasionally hit the wrong space during combat or push the wrong button even then. And while I enjoyed the game, it is fairly linear without really all that much customization and by the end (something like 30 hours) I was ready for it to be done. Still I thought it was worth it for $10 and is definitely worth the price of 1000 coins.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Today's free app from Amazon is Pirates Showdown. I haven't played it, but it's supposed to be a decent, but not very complex, RTS game.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Some good stuff there. I've been wanting to try Dungeon Village for awhile and Ravensword is supposed to be decent (I have it from a Humble Bundle but haven't played it for more than 15 minutes).
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Amazon has a bunch of apps for free today, most noteworthy being Carcassonne.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Defiant wrote:Amazon has a bunch of apps for free today, most noteworthy being Carcassonne.
Here's a master list. There's even the $29 Oxford for free, some nice stuff.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Today has Sorcery! by Steve Jackson
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Defiant wrote:Today has Sorcery! by Steve Jackson
And of course I just bought that last week. :grund: At least I used my Amazon coins rather than real money.

It's a pretty cool game. Well, it's more interactive story than game, but still fun. It'll only take you an hour or two to complete. The 2nd one is longer and has more stuff to do but since it's a continuation of the story (and it remembers your decisions), its definitely better to start with the first one.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If it's anything like the real series, you won't be able to win unless you read all four books in order and complete a specific set of quests.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Enough wrote:
Defiant wrote:Amazon has a bunch of apps for free today, most noteworthy being Carcassonne.
Here's a master list. There's even the $29 Oxford for free, some nice stuff.
I picked up the Oxford one, but I was a bit confused - who is paying $29 for an online dictionary normally?
Black Lives Matter.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The same people who pay $47 for an ebook, apparently?

http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Dictionary ... 0199571120
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Amazon's free app today looks like a Heroes of Might and Magic clone. I have no idea if it's any good but it has decent reviews and is, of course, free.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Simon the Sorcerer is today's free app of the day from Amazon. Never played this when it first came out and I can always go for a decent point and click adventure game.
Black Lives Matter