Crucial M4 - 512 GB Solid State Drive $159.99

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Dave Allen

Crucial M4 - 512 GB Solid State Drive $159.99

Post by Dave Allen »

51 available now - free shipping

This same drive has been the pack mule for my current build and is the best purchase i've made this year.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
GreenGoo

Re: Crucial M4 - 512 GB Solid State Drive $159.99

Post by GreenGoo »

I think I'm running 128 or 256 due to price. I would have picked up the 1/2 tb if it had been this price at the time. Plus I bought a crap brand. Crucial makes great memory. Not sure about their ssd's, but the brand name is good.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Hmmmm, I am strongly considering buying a few of these. About to upgrade some XP 64bit workstations up to Win7 and this may be just what I need to extend their life out a couple years.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Looks like they are refurbished. For Rip's plan that should be fine, but I'd much rather spend a bit more for new.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Rip wrote:...and this may be just what I need to extend their life out a couple years.
along the same lines The Tech Report has been trying to run a batch of SSDs into the ground during the past year with their SSD Endurance Experiment
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Over the summer, I bought a new 512 GB Crucial M100 for $220 off the shelf in a retail store, not on sale. I would think that for just a little more you can find non-refurb versions of this drive if you look around.
Black Lives Matter
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Pyperkub wrote:Looks like they are refurbished. For Rip's plan that should be fine, but I'd much rather spend a bit more for new.
Refurbished items are guaranteed to work but new items are guaranteed to be replaced.

All my refurbished purchases always worked - can't say that about my new purchases. Besides, the worst case scenario refurbishing an SSD amounts to a casing replacment or firmware reset.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Dave Allen wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:Looks like they are refurbished. For Rip's plan that should be fine, but I'd much rather spend a bit more for new.
Refurbished items are guaranteed to work but new items are guaranteed to be replaced.

All my refurbished purchases always worked - can't say that about my new purchases. Besides, the worst case scenario refurbishing an SSD amounts to a casing replacment or firmware reset.
SSD's have a definite mean time to failure that would put me off buying a refurb of an SSD whereas I might not feel that way aobut a video card or something.

I'm sure they're getting better, but currently I only have OS's on my SSD. My games and data are on more traditional drives.
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote:
Dave Allen wrote:

SSD's have a definite mean time to failure that would put me off buying a refurb of an SSD whereas I might not feel that way aobut a video card or something.

I'm sure they're getting better, but currently I only have OS's on my SSD. My games and data are on more traditional drives.
You must not have read that article about the longevity tests. SSDs far surpass traditional HDDs in data transfer lifetimes? I would never but a refurb HDD that wasn't an SSD.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Dave Allen wrote:

Yeah, but when coupled with eBay I'm a lot more skeptical.

Caveat - I avoid most "deals" on ebay for this reason. I'll take the extra hit for the assurance of dealing with amazon/newegg/dell, etc. I'm just not an eBay person.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Pyperkub wrote:
Dave Allen wrote:

Yeah, but when coupled with eBay I'm a lot more skeptical.

Caveat - I avoid most "deals" on ebay for this reason. I'll take the extra hit for the assurance of dealing with amazon/newegg/dell, etc. I'm just not an eBay person.
I have only once ever had an issue with a transaction on eBay. Wish I could say that for online retailers. All about reading, asking, and using the rating system to temper your expectations. In general I won't buy from someone without excellent rating unless I am knowingly taking a risk for an unbelievable deal. Which pretty much never happens. Like most things, if it sounds to good to be true, it is.

That reseller has a 99.2% positive rating with over 24K transactions. That's pretty damn good.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote:You must not have read that article about the longevity tests. SSDs far surpass traditional HDDs in data transfer lifetimes? I would never but a refurb HDD that wasn't an SSD.
I didn't. The last thing I read on SSD's had them failing earlier than normal HDD's, specifically from high i/o. Beats me where I read it or how long ago though.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Dave Allen wrote:
Rip wrote:...and this may be just what I need to extend their life out a couple years.
along the same lines The Tech Report has been trying to run a batch of SSDs into the ground during the past year with their SSD Endurance Experiment
That's a really cool article - thanks!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles