Samsung (Seagate inside?) 4TB external HDD $99 shipped

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Samsung (Seagate inside?) 4TB external HDD $99 shipped

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Here (it's ebay but ships from Newegg).

About $20 cheaper than a 4TB WD on newegg and $30 cheaper than the regular Newegg price for the same drive. USB 3.0, 5400 RPM.

Ordered one last Friday, got it yesterday. Reviews are mixed but I plan to use it for non critical storage like all my Steam game backups and archive.org files. Things I can get again but would rather not have to re-download. Basically data hoarding. God, I'm a data hoarder.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Re: Samsung (Seagate inside?) 4TB external HDD $99 shipped

Post by GreenGoo »

Geez. Sweet.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I was really tempted to buy it...but I already have 2 500GB external drives that aren't really being used. I just don't have enough data :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Samsung makes their own HD's.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kasey Chang wrote:Samsung makes their own HD's.
The Samsung Ds are Seagate, from everything I've seen. Even Seagate lists the Samsung D as their product. AFAIK, they still own Samsung's HDD label.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The HDD world is still in a bit of flux. Seagate and WD are the two big companies at the moment, with Toshiba far far behind.

Seagate purchased Samsung about four years ago (and Maxtor before that, in 2006), and WD followed suit by acquiring HGST (Hitachi Global Storage Technology). Seagate's purchase of Samsung went through very quickly. WD's acquisition of HGST has been slowed by China's MOFCOM issuing a "hold separate" order for the two companies (and also forced HGST to divest a factory in China to Toshiba, allowing that company to manufacture and sell drives previously manufactured and sold by HGST).

At its peak the storage industry had approximately 54 separate businesses in operation. Once/if the WD acquisition of HGST goes through, it will be down to three.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra