free Windows 10 upgrade

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

LordMortis

Re: free Windows 10 upgrade

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote:It's not a joke. They are moving to 'Windows as a service,' where Win10 will just be constantly upgraded in a more minor fashion, a la OSX. Win10 is the end of the line, at least for a bunch of years.
If windows moves to SaaS does that mean we they will start charging annual maintenance for it? Suddenly Mac or Linux or IOS doesn't looks so bad for the home. (We use Enterprise at work so I'm already paying SaaS here)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:It's not a joke. They are moving to 'Windows as a service,' where Win10 will just be constantly upgraded in a more minor fashion, a la OSX. Win10 is the end of the line, at least for a bunch of years.
If windows moves to SaaS does that mean we they will start charging annual maintenance for it? Suddenly Mac or Linux or IOS doesn't looks so bad for the home. (We use Enterprise at work so I'm already paying SaaS here)
I don't think that's the plan, but it's possible. All that I've seen thus far implies that there will just continue to be a licensing fee included in the price of new devices.

FWIW, the latest 10162 build is pretty solid. I actually upgraded my 'main' desktop rig earlier this week and have had no issues.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Moliere wrote:Wired review: You should upgrade to Windows 10.
The Verge also had a positive review. After more time on my 'main' PC, I stand behind my earlier recommendation to get on 10 post-haste. It's good stuff.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

My wife's PC and my gaming PC are installing the update as I type this...I won't have time to check it out until after work...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

How are you being notified that your upgrade is ready? Email? Systray? Bill Gates showing up with balloons?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've been in beta for months getting all the new builds, and even though it's showing I'm on the release build now, it still won't activate Windows. Anyone else having any issues activating?

[Edit] Never mind, looks like it may be due to me originally upgrading from a Windows 7 volume license key through work, and Windows 10 doesn't like that it can't find a KMS server to validate. I'll have to figure something else out.

[Edit][Edit] All good now. Just had to change the product key to a release Windows 10 Enterprise key.
Last edited by YellowKing on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

No activation issues here.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Blackhawk wrote:How are you being notified that your upgrade is ready? Email? Systray? Bill Gates showing up with balloons?
System tray notification when I click on it and the ghost of Steve Jobs with balloons crying outside my Window(s)...
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Z-Corn wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:How are you being notified that your upgrade is ready? Email? Systray? Bill Gates showing up with balloons?
System tray notification when I click on it and the ghost of Steve Jobs with balloons crying outside my Window(s)...
I haven't received the notification yet. My system tray icon still just tells me it's reserved.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Played around with it on my wife's PC...having never dealt with Windows 8 before it sure is...just fine I guess...seems friendly, like these kids these days would like it...

Still avoiding going down to My Office to deal with it on my gaming PC since it's got an Nvidia card in it...

Main Kitchen Laptop downloaded it and wants to install and I said, "Hold your horses now, how about we delay this until 9:00 PM Friday? Give you some time to prove yourself in this house..."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New O/S...first day of release. Very dangerous. You go first.

I'll probably give it a whirl in a few months, but I'm all still thinking of pulling the trigger on a new PC. I have three in my house now that are eligible for this upgrade...what are the chances all three will be hosed?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Captain Caveman wrote:
Z-Corn wrote:
I haven't received the notification yet. My system tray icon still just tells me it's reserved.
Me too. It's cool, though, I'm sure that Microsoft is just busy with stuff - not personal I'm sure.

:(
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We had Microsoft vendors on site today and this conversation went down:

Boss: "Our current environment is predominantly IE8. Obviously we want to go to 11 but there are a lot of legacy application issues we're working through."

Microsoft Rep <grinning>: "Well you could solve all this by just going to Windows 10."

Boss: "This is a business meeting. Stand-up comedy is one room over."

:D
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

El Guapo wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
Z-Corn wrote:
Me too. It's cool, though, I'm sure that Microsoft is just busy with stuff - not personal I'm sure.

:(
I also didn't receive notification but when I checked the Windows Update from Control Panel, it showed update failure everytime my system automatically check for update. Turned out there are several failed update related to trying to install/download Windows 10 (Error 80240020) in the history log.

Tried several workaround to force upgrade like deleting contents of \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download then do a force update using wuauclt.exe /updatenow which didn't fix the problem.

Then I tried registry fix from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... b51?auth=1. This one fixed the problem and allow Windows 10 to start downloading and the Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro option appeared in the Windows Update.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Anyone have issues with upgrading to Win10 and their Steam games?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Moliere wrote:Anyone have issues with upgrading to Win10 and their Steam games?
No, but the upgrade did not fix issues I was having before the upgrade.
Black Lives Matter
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I just opened up windows update on a whim after reading Victor's post and I see that instead of telling me I had updates available, Windows decided to just stick them all to the side and only present me with a big "Install Win10 now!" button.

So over the past 3 weeks I had 15 security updates stack up and Windows decided not to tell me about them.

PS You can't update your taskbar font color (translucent gray on darker gray is really hard to read on my lappy) or choose a background color other than the ones that Windows deigns to provide you with in 10.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I have Windows 10 available now but am holding off. If you are too then be warned that last night before I shut down I saw that I had updates available and it was going to automatically install them and I always check them before I hit ok. When I looked at the list Windows 10 Pro was part of the update. So if I had not checked the list it would have started the Windows 10 Pro upgrade.

I assume it would have prompted me first before proceeding but I don't know that.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It will not install without you affirming the upgrade.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

No, though as best as I can recall I have only been playing one steam game since upgrading (Tabletop Simulator).
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote:
No, though as best as I can recall I have only been playing one steam game since upgrading (Tabletop Simulator).
Between my kids and myself we have verified a half dozen games and had no issues. Nothing particularly old though.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

My previously mentioned problems apparently were caused by my trying to "jump in line" as it were, or upgrading before you were officially ready (from MS perspective).

Once I got the notification email (or was it an onscreen prompt maybe?), it upgraded without a problem....very smooth.

Kind of silly of me to have spent so much time researching how to get upgraded earlier...man was that a rabbit hole.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I took the plunge with my laptop, and have had a noticeable improvement in performance. Windows 8 seemed to manage memory, and sleeping very poorly. The laptop is more responsive now and functioning better. Also huzzah for start menus.
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I did another laptop and it works like a champ, went completely smooth. So that is four-for-four trouble free in my house.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

I'm about 4 for 4 as well, including one complete reset after the upgrade. The performance on my aging (getting close to 6 years old) laptop is just great.