July 15th Amazon Prime Day

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

RunningMn9

Re: July 15th Amazon Prime Day

Post by RunningMn9 »

Blackhawk wrote:Don't forget that you get about half a Netflix out of it. That's about $50 in value.
There's $0 in value, because I still have to have Netflix. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Amazon video rentals are much better than Netflix. I have Netflix but outside of tv shows I find it worthless. Whenever I think of a movie I want to watch and search Netflix they don't have it. I check Amazon and they either have it for free or to rent for a couple bucks. If not for tv shows Netflix would be worthless to me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Prime has a few things that Netflix does not. Having both means that I can usually find what I'm looking for, or close to it. Often there is some overlap, but one will have an old show in HD while the other does not.

I would not get Amazon Prime just for the instant videos, but I probably wouldn't spend $100 a year just for the cheap shipping, either. They both have value.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and bonus value: Since I have prime, my ex, her new husband, her mother, and two of my friends make their online purchases through me.

That is all money in OO's pocket.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

BTW, is Shoprunner dead yet?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

So if I am happy with Netflix and patient about shipping there is no reason to be a Prime member?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Moliere wrote:So if I am happy with Netflix and patient about shipping there is no reason to be a Prime member?
Well, you wouldn't have been able to get 20% off Lysol products during the Prime sale.

I know some Prime members who use Prime music a lot, so that can be another perk.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:No.
The company is backed by Kynetic, Alibaba, and American Express.
Ahh. Weekend at Bernie's.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Captain Caveman wrote:
Moliere wrote:So if I am happy with Netflix and patient about shipping there is no reason to be a Prime member?
Well, you wouldn't have been able to get 20% off Lysol products during the Prime sale.
Air fresheners are a localized form of chem trails.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Captain Caveman wrote:

I know some Prime members who use Prime music a lot, so that can be another perk.
If you think you'll do more than 100 "no-rush shipping" items, you'll get over $100 in credit for digital purchases. Definitely not a selling point but it's there.

I've found that around 50% of my no-rush orders arrive in 3 days, many in 2.

MYT
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

This idea of credit back for not using the shipping intrigues me.
I have but one advocate.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

JetFred wrote:This idea of credit back for not using the shipping intrigues me.
Just wait until they add trading cards. :wink:

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

JetFred wrote:This idea of credit back for not using the shipping intrigues me.
It's really good during the holiday season when I can get nutty and make two or three orders a day. There's no incentive for me to sit down and combine them in one order, so if it happens I'm purchasing stuff in the morning and then again at night, I could end up earning $2 a day in credits. They are usually good for about a month (or maybe a little more) but during last year's Xmas shopping season they were giving out $3 credits in late November and early December for no-rush shipping. Instead of 2 days I was getting packages in 3, maybe 4 tops.

I wouldn't bank my entire Prime membership on it, but is a nice feature for when you don't absolutely need something in 2 days.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Correct, also if you place no value on the free Prime music albums and streaming, or don't care about free unlimited photo storage in the cloud, or early access to lightning deals on Amazon.

It's definitely an Amazon-centric service, so if you are not a big Amazon consumer (and I would go so far as to say, if you are not an Amazon consumer in at least 2 areas - music, shopping, video, etc), you probably will not see the value.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The video side of Amazon Prime is nice to have - especially if you have a Kindle to be able to download and watch on the go (I think their ipad app also supports this?)

The selection isn't as great as Netflix, but there is some good stuff that's there and not available on Netflix (eg, HBO stuff, Stargate, etc)

That said, the interface for Netflix is better than Amazons.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Chrisoc13 wrote:Amazon video rentals are much better than Netflix. I have Netflix but outside of tv shows I find it worthless. Whenever I think of a movie I want to watch and search Netflix they don't have it. I check Amazon and they either have it for free or to rent for a couple bucks. If not for tv shows Netflix would be worthless to me.
I like Netflix for movies because they have a lot of foreign films. And I'm not talkin' art house films, I'm talkin' some truly great horror, sci fi, comedy and action films. If I hear about something I want to see that isn't likely to play in theaters in the U.S., it usually appears on Netflix within 6 months.
He won. Period.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

hepcat wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:Amazon video rentals are much better than Netflix. I have Netflix but outside of tv shows I find it worthless. Whenever I think of a movie I want to watch and search Netflix they don't have it. I check Amazon and they either have it for free or to rent for a couple bucks. If not for tv shows Netflix would be worthless to me.
I like Netflix for movies because they have a lot of foreign films. And I'm not talkin' art house films, I'm talkin' some truly great horror, sci fi, comedy and action films. If I hear about something I want to see that isn't likely to play in theaters in the U.S., it usually appears on Netflix within 6 months.
Sounds like I need to broaden my horizons.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Prime also nets you the Kindle library, which is a bunch of books you can 'check out' for free. The selection isn't the greatest, but I've found a few on there that I had been waiting to purchase.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think we all overlooked the biggest deal of the sale - a 55 gallon drum of lube. If you have a few minutes, you should really check out the reviews.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

stessier wrote:I think we all overlooked the biggest deal of the sale - a 55 gallon drum of lube. If you have a few minutes, you should really check out the reviews.
This will have to wait until I am home. I don't want that URL in my work browser history. :ninja:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote:I think we all overlooked the biggest deal of the sale - a 55 gallon drum of lube. If you have a few minutes, you should really check out the reviews.
The best part is the 'Customers Also Viewed', which on mine includes wasabi peas, Look and Feel Canadian Breath Spray, and a book called Ass Goblins of Auschwitz.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Right off the bat, the first product question:

Is it kosher?

A: No. It is used for porking.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I think the uranium ore was the best deal, considering the recent developments in Iran.

MYT
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote:
The best part is the 'Customers Also Viewed', which on mine includes wasabi peas, Look and Feel Canadian Breath Spray, and a book called Ass Goblins of Auschwitz.
That was the first thing I noticed. WTF? I was almost tempted to do the preview on the book... Almost.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
That was the first thing I noticed. WTF? I was almost tempted to do the preview on the book... Almost.
I clicked on the book. The author also apparently wrote "The Baby Jesus Butt Plug." Gosh, I may just have to wait for the audiobooks.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Blackhawk wrote:
Check out the Infant Circumcision Trainer, White
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, we as a society have failed. Time to close up shop, I dare say.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

McNutt wrote:I bought a $7 item and checked to see if they would give me $1 of download credit to ship it without 2-day delivery. This time they offered $3. I hope that price stays.
I bought this at the non sale price, and am blown away by how simply yet effective it is.

I have bought sooo many car "holders" for my iPhones over the years, and have not been happy with any of them, either because they break, or get too loose, or just plain do not work.

This is thing is cheap, effective, and easy...LOVE it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yep, I bought a 2nd one because it works so well.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Truly, we are wise.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Can one of you stop patting yourself on the back long enough to link to the product? :P
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isg, I thought you could find anything on the internet. Now I know that to be A LIE.

Linkage.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And be sure to use code ITQU3C2L for $3 off.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon wrote:Isg, I thought you could find anything on the internet. Now I know that to be A LIE.

Linkage.
:P

A) The price wouldn't have been the same for us dirty peasants.
B) A search for "prime day car phone holder" puts it as the 12th result.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Isg, I thought you could find anything on the internet. Now I know that to be A LIE.

Linkage.
:P

A) The price wouldn't have been the same for us dirty peasants.
B) A search for "prime day car phone holder" puts it as the 12th result.

So you did find it. What's the problem then? :P

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:)

Needle in a pile of needles. With no information about length, point type, use case, etc., actually determining the correct one is quite difficult.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Your list of limitations has been noted. :horse: Now go buy the thing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wishlisted. Purchases are strictly need-based until the wife finds a job.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Isgrimnur wrote:Wishlisted. Purchases are strictly need-based until the wife finds a job.
I use a similar phone holder and it is far and away the most handy holder I have yet seen. Everyone who sees mine wants one.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell