July 15th Amazon Prime Day

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Daehawk

July 15th Amazon Prime Day

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=11448061011

Dont forget about this one. They bill it as Black Friday for summer. Supposed to be better and have more deals than Black Friday. Every 10 minutes there will be a super sale on an item. Its for Prime members only. $10,000 in gift cards given away. Some say its to squeeze out competition from Jet.com. I could care less as Im interested in cheap stuff :)

Im hoping to find a 1tb SSD cheap.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: July 15th Amazon Prime Day

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Target is doing Black Friday in July.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I can save even more money by not buying shit I don't need just because it's on sale. I will probably take a look and see if there are any particular deals on the one thing I do need -- a few weeks ago the back strap broke on some $120 sandals I bought maybe 10 years ago for half-price. And that's the sort of deal I'm looking for this time around (I think I bought those at REI during a fall clearance sale).
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, fortunately for you yelling at clouds doesn't cost any money.

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote:I can save even more money by not buying shit I don't need just because it's on sale.
And you can save time by not informing the rest of us that you're not interested in something. We just assume that's the default setting for JeffV. :wink:
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Nothing exciting. $49 basic kindle. Other random junk that's not worth sorting through.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Yep. Didn't see anything interesting.
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

hepcat wrote:
Jeff V wrote:I can save even more money by not buying shit I don't need just because it's on sale.
And you can save time by not informing the rest of us that you're not interested in something. We just assume that's the default setting for JeffV. :wink:
I would assume he's not interested in doing that. ; )
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm mainly interested in board games or, less likely, Costa sunglasses (see the irrational desire thread).
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jeff V wrote:I can save even more money by not buying shit I don't need just because it's on sale. I will probably take a look and see if there are any particular deals on the one thing I do need -- a few weeks ago the back strap broke on some $120 sandals I bought maybe 10 years ago for half-price. And that's the sort of deal I'm looking for this time around (I think I bought those at REI during a fall clearance sale).
With the rather crappy (to me anyway) selection being put up for sale, Jeff V is pretty wise indeed.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

$iljanus wrote:
Jeff V wrote:I can save even more money by not buying shit I don't need just because it's on sale. I will probably take a look and see if there are any particular deals on the one thing I do need -- a few weeks ago the back strap broke on some $120 sandals I bought maybe 10 years ago for half-price. And that's the sort of deal I'm looking for this time around (I think I bought those at REI during a fall clearance sale).
With the rather crappy (to me anyway) selection being put up for sale, Jeff V is pretty wise indeed.
Definitely a crappy selection. Tired of sifting through hundreds of stupid deals, I went to reddit to see if people were curating the sales and linking to the ones of note. The thread is mostly full of people making fun of the shitty deals.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup, so far Prime Day has been disappointing. I'm hoping that they get the message though (there are quite a few social sites echoing that sentiment) and step up their game.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

PC version of Valkyria Chronicles for $5

http://www.amazon.com/Valkyria-Chronicl ... bbcf481895
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Pillars of Eternity (Hero Edition steam code) is available for $30.14. Seems to be the best current deal on that one.
No sig, must scream, etc.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I bought another Kindle Fire stick for $25. I greatly prefer mine over my Roku stick and it's nice to have a second Fire stick, especially for $25. Otherwise, there's nothing of note.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Pillars of Eternity is $30 in case you missed it in the Steam sale and want it (never mind I see that someone pointed it out above, doh)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Also, for anyone who read a lot and wants Kindle Unlimited for a more reasonable price, there's some decent discounts if you get a 6/12/24 month subscription.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The Fire Stick may actually be worth it for $25. I have a PS4 but for some inane reason Comcast won't let me stream HBO Go though the PS4. What that really means is that I use HBO Go a lot less than I would if I didn't have to hook my computer up to my tv every time. Unfortunately, the Fire Stick is currently sold out.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Defiant wrote:Also, for anyone who read a lot and wants Kindle Unlimited for a more reasonable price, there's some decent discounts if you get a 6/12/24 month subscription.
Where do you see this? I haven't used Unlimited and all I get is a 30-day trial button. Is this a today-only deal or just normal discounts for longer contracts?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Try here for Unlimited pricing deals.
Unlimited reading. Unlimited listening. Any device.
6 Months: $59.94 - Now $44.95
12 Months: $119.88 - Now $80.32
24 Months: $239.76 - Now $143.86
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:The Fire Stick may actually be worth it for $25. I have a PS4 but for some inane reason Comcast won't let me stream HBO Go though the PS4. What that really means is that I use HBO Go a lot less than I would if I didn't have to hook my computer up to my tv every time. Unfortunately, the Fire Stick is currently sold out.
Chromecasts are $30, and you can throw most videos in a browser on an Android device up there without any intervening apps.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They did have a USB wired Xbox360 controller for $20 -- which I'm nearly certain is the lowest it's ever been. Not sure when that deal went up, but it's 100% claimed.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote:I bought another Kindle Fire stick for $25. I greatly prefer mine over my Roku stick and it's nice to have a second Fire stick, especially for $25. Otherwise, there's nothing of note.
I've been thinking of getting a firetv (not the stick, the upper tier version) so I could root it and put Kodi on it. Hopefully they'll have a sale on those today.
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

What are the differences between the stick and the full Fire TV?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I grabbed a 500 gig SSD for a good price and three $15 gift cards so I can get the $10 credit. Other than that, crap city.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, I was in a bit of a panic this morning because I was going to be stuck in meetings all day without access to the interwebs, so I ran home at lunch to see what I had missed. Apparently people are beating the doors down to buy classic Yahtzee and USB drives.

I'll give Amazon credit, though. They're as insidious as Steam at figuring out ways to unload a bunch of crap. Just mark it 20% off and put it as a Lightning Deal and you'll have people feverishly clicking page refresh trying to move up in the waiting list.

I also laughed at this retort from Walmart:
In a blog post Monday, Walmart said that it is "standing up for our customers and everyone else who sees no rhyme or reason for paying a premium to save."

"We just don't believe you should pay a fee to get a better price," said Walmart spokesman Ravi Jariwala.
Oh really? Please tell me more about Sam's Club.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They said "more" deals than Black Friday, not "better" deals. :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

All this talk of consumerism on Prime Day is disgusting.

Remember the reason for the season.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

SOLD OUT AND WAIT LIST FULL?!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Oh no, am I also too late for...

Whew. Thank goodness I was able to make it onto the wait list in time.

┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Isgrimnur wrote:Image
I've seen that, but that really doesn't tell me all that much. Is the memory matter when streaming movies? i.e. does the quality of streaming differ between the two? I don't have a home theater, so the optical out doesn't matter to me. Neither does playing games on it.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

You know things are bad when one of the articles pointing you to "top deals to check out on Amazon Prime Day" includes a listing for flip-flops.
Jag

Post by Jag »

YellowKing wrote:You know things are bad when one of the articles pointing you to "top deals to check out on Amazon Prime Day" includes a listing for flip-flops.
Knock them all you want, but you will always hear me comin' down the hall.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm the one who shh-pops!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I've seen that, but that really doesn't tell me all that much. Is the memory matter when streaming movies? i.e. does the quality of streaming differ between the two? I don't have a home theater, so the optical out doesn't matter to me. Neither does playing games on it.
Even if you did have a home theater you would be using HDMI rather than optical audio anyway.

As far as streaming goes, the only difference would be if your wifi sucked and you needed to use wired. The stick doesn't do wired.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Well, the CPU and the memory could potentially affect performance, but I've got a kindle fire that has 1GB RAM and dual core and it streamed HD from Amazon fine, from what I remember (I usually download to watch on the go, though)

Memory would also help for buffering but even half a gb should be more than enough for buffering (IIRC, a 45 minute episode in HD on Amazon is about 2GB, so half a gb would be about 10minutes of buffering).
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I've been entertaining the idea of giving my wife a Fitbit for our anniversary, but I'm not sold on the idea. Frankly I feel it would be a bit like the time she gave me bathroom scales for Valentine's Day.
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My wife has been part of some work group of people with Fitbits that all compete for most steps each week. She enjoys hers but I also make fun of her when she randomly marches in place or walks laps around or living room coffee table to hit 10,000 steps a day. Seems...disingenuous.