Amazon Prime $67 for a year

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Daehawk

Amazon Prime $67 for a year

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gilraen

Re: Amazon Prime $67 for a year

Post by gilraen »

Doesn't work if you're already a Prime member, you used to be able to gift a subscription to yourself to take advantage of promotion prices but not this time.

If you aren't a Prime member and are considering it, this is an awesome price (33% off).
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Do I want Prime if I already have Netflix and am such a cheapskate that I always go for the free shipping option? $67 is still a lot of money when I look at it that way.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

gilraen wrote:Doesn't work if you're already a Prime member, you used to be able to gift a subscription to yourself to take advantage of promotion prices but not this time.

If you aren't a Prime member and are considering it, this is an awesome price (33% off).
Nope - it's for new members only. And they've apparently fixed the ability to sign up with a burner account and then gift the Prime membership to your existing one. $67 is an amazing deal, IMHO -- especially going into the holiday season. When you add the streaming for music and movies, it's even better.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

killbot737 wrote:Do I want Prime if I already have Netflix and am such a cheapskate that I always go for the free shipping option? $67 is still a lot of money when I look at it that way.
Do you want the free shipping option to be two day delivery?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

gilraen wrote:Doesn't work if you're already a Prime member, you used to be able to gift a subscription to yourself to take advantage of promotion prices but not this time.

There are anecdotal reports that existing Amazon Prime subscribers may be able to request a pro-rated refund through Amazon customer support, e.g. here's one chat transcript from the comments section of another site:
For those who are current Prime members, I copied the ‘chat’ I just finished in which I received a $16.50 credit...

You are now connected to Jack from Amazon.com

Me: I am a Prime member (2 months remaining) and read on another forum that Amazon will credit existing customers who are not otherwise eligible to take advantage of the $67 current membership offer. In my case 2/12 of $99 = $16.50. Rather than cancel early and renew today, would you please credit my account $16.50? I have been a loyal Amazon customer since 1999 and a Prime member since 2012! Thank you.

Jack: Hello, My name is Jack, you are right you are loyal costumer, let me do that exception for you , so pretty much you want $16.50 right ?

Me: Correct.

Jack: Alright , i will do it for you - please allow me a minute

Me: I appreciate it, Jack. Thanks for the accommodation.

Jack: Ken, being honest, this should only be for new costumers according to amazon, however, why should we have a disappointed costumer , for something that at the end of the year could make the company lose more money than the amount that needs to be refunded , so thats why i helped, I appreciate your time, i hope you have a great day . take care. A confirmation will be sent to your email

Me: I think you made a proper decision and I’m glad that Amazon allows its representatives such authority. Have a great day!
Seems like it's at least worth a shot.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Anonymous Bosch

FWIW, I was able to do the following as an existing Prime member looking to benefit from the $67 deal:
  1. Open a chat with Amazon Customer Support (choose "Prime or Something Else", and then you should see a "Chat" button).
  2. Request an immediate cancellation of your existing Prime subscription, effective today (N.B. you must be crystal clear to request the Prime membership be cancelled immediately, effective today), with a prorated refund for the remaining month(s) of the old subscription.
  3. I was then be able to add Prime to my cart, and check out at the discounted $67 rate.
YMMV.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Done. I've always had prime shipping through family but had been wanting to cancel Netflix so now i can.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Every time I add Prime to my cart it's $99 all the way up to and including the "Place your order" screen. I have not seen $67 at any time during the checkout process.

OK Well that's annoying. They only tell you about the discount on the one Prime discount page. (and their homepage, but I never go there).

Edit #2! You MUST add prime from the discount page, now it actually says I'll get a discount. I don't think I would have the other way when I added it from the normal Prime page. They are very unclear about this process save for that one sentence on the correct discount page.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

OK I bit the bullet. I'll have to finish off Portlandia this weekend and then cancel Netflix. I guess considering Netflix is $96 per year ($8/mo) it's a good deal for me to try out Prime for a year instead.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hate Netflix but love Amazon Instant Video. We dumped Netflix and kept Prime. You also get a free ebook a month and other things.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Have any other existing Prime members on OO been able to benefit from the $67 deal? Post your experiences, successful or not.

I've read some contradictory anecdotes of others that were unable to convince the Amazon CSR to provide any prorated partial refund for their existing Prime membership. I suspect Amazon CSRs may since have been instructed not to offer such partial refunds due to the influx of refund requests they're likely receiving on account of the $67 Transparent promo.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's not really worth it to me to try to get a CSR on the phone and convince them or play games with them. Not over $32 for a service I'm already pretty happy with.

It would be nice to be able to tack the $67 year on to the end of an existing membership but eh.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

LawBeefaroni wrote:It's not really worth it to me to try to get a CSR on the phone and convince them or play games with them. Not over $32 for a service I'm already pretty happy with.

It would be nice to be able to tack the $67 year on to the end of an existing membership but eh.
That's where I'm at. It's just not worth the time and hassle to me since I get my money's worth already.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Prime and Netflix have pretty close selections for most stuff, but there's no way I could give up Netflix's exclusive series - Daredevil, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Sense8, Narcos, etc. Prime is starting to get some good series, but right now Netflix blows them away for original programming.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I will definitely miss Kimmy Schmidt season 2, if they ever make one. I could do without a return of Jane Krakowski. I never liked her in Vacation and nothing she has done since has changed my mind.