Newegg broken 11/30/15?

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

killbot737

Newegg broken 11/30/15?

Post by killbot737 »

I went to newegg to check out their deals today and no matter what I click on I can never get into the actual store, it just opens a new tab which goes back to the promotion splash page. Is this happening for anyone else?
There is no hug button. Sad!
stessier

Re: Newegg broken 11/30/15?

Post by stessier »

killbot737 wrote:I went to newegg to check out their deals today and no matter what I click on I can never get into the actual store, it just opens a new tab which goes back to the promotion splash page. Is this happening for anyone else?
Nope, working fine for me.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

It happens with Firefox on all my devices, IE11 on Win 7 but not 8.1, and it also works with the Android browser.

The thing I was considering getting is $100 more than I expected so I'm not going to bother investigating anymore. :)
There is no hug button. Sad!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

killbot737 wrote:I went to newegg to check out their deals today and no matter what I click on I can never get into the actual store, it just opens a new tab which goes back to the promotion splash page. Is this happening for anyone else?
Yes, I had the same problem using the Pale Moon browser (which is a fork of Gecko, the browser engine of Firefox). However, I discovered I was able to dismiss the Cyber Monday promo and continue shopping normally with a vanilla version of IE 11.

I keep my Pale Moon browser fairly tightly locked-down with a variety of add-ons (including NoScript, Disconnect, BetterPrivacy, Self-Destructing Cookies, and the uBlock Origin adblocker) to control cookies, ads, and maintain privacy. I never normally use IE 11 at all, so it's just the latest vanilla version of the browser without any add-ons or plug-ins at all. I suspect there may be a tracking cookie of some sort that flags when you've read and dimissed NewEgg's annoyingly obnoxious Cyber Monday promo, and only then allows you to browse the site normally. Because even if I try to browse directly to a NewEgg item listing on my Pale Moon browser, there's nothing I can do to get past the Cyber Monday promo (and I lack the patience to determine precisely what script or cookie must be permitted in order to access the site properly). Also, when I initially browsed directly to a NewEgg item URL with IE 11, it first listed the Cyber Monday promo, and I was only able to see the item itself after dismissing said promo.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke