Google's photo editing software is now free

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Moliere

Google's photo editing software is now free

Post by Moliere »

Google Makes Its $149 Photo Editing Software Now Completely Free to Download
Google’s Nik Collection, a photo editing software package designed for professional photographers, once retailed for $149. Today it’s absolutely free to download, for both Windows and Mac users.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Carpet_pissr

Re: Google's photo editing software is now free

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Whoa! Didn't even know Google bought/owned those! Schweet!
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Those are plugins, right? So you still need to own expensive photo editing software to use them.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Victoria Raverna wrote:Those are plugins, right? So you still need to own expensive photo editing software to use them.
Correct, just plug-ins. Not sure all the programs they are compatible with, but I know at least Lightroom (and of course Photoshop). Lightroom is really not that expensive these days after a BIG price cut a few (couple?) years back.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

PS: Some readers have asked whether this software can work as a standalone program, or whether it needs to run with a program like Photoshop. Here’s what PC Magazine has to say about that: “Though you can run the seven different plugins in the collection as standalone products, they tend to work better when you integrate them into an existing image editing program, like Adobe’s PhotoShop. ‘(On Windows) You can make shortcuts to the individual .exe files on your desktop and then just drag stacks of images onto them,’ suggested one Google+ user.” In short, you have some options.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow that's interesting! No idea they were ever able to work as standalones.

When I installed them, the first thing it asked me for was a compatible "host" program (Lightroom in my case, but it doesn't give you a list or anything...you just have to point to a "qualified" and installed program).