2016 Steam Summer Sale .....ITS HERE!!

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Smoove_B

Re: 2016 Steam Summer Sale in a few weeks

Post by Smoove_B »

This video might actually be the best thing to come of the sale. I guess I should indicate there are possible season 2 (2012) Game of Thrones Spoilers in there for people not expecting to have a 4 year old show spoiled by a fan-created STEAM sale announcement trailer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
naednek

Post by naednek »

Captain Caveman wrote:I really want Rise of the Tomb Raider, but my goodness, it's still $38. The price of the last Tomb Raider dropped hard and fast. I miss those days.

Maybe instead it's time to finally jump into Fallout 4. It's at $30. Hmm...

Don't know if it interests you but you can get both Rise of the Tomb Raider and Just Cause 3 as a bundle for $51. http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/241/

Tempting. That would empty out my steam card, but it's definitely two games I've been wanting to play...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That's overpaying for JC3 IMO. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I really want Rise of the Tomb Raider, but my goodness, it's still $38. The price of the last Tomb Raider dropped hard and fast. I miss those days
This is me too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You know, I was all excited because the sale was starting. That video expressed how I felt.

The sale started. I tried go get into the store. Reloaded. Walked away because I knew it was pointless. Came back. Got in. Tried to click through my queue to get the cards. Got timed out.

Then I realized. No mini-game. No community choice vote. No flash sales giving 85% off. I just closed the window and did something else. I'll check back sometime tonight or in the morning and pick up the games on my list that are within my budget - likely all at once - then I'll forget about the sale.

The Steam sale is still a time to get some deals, but it is no longer an event.

I feel hollow inside.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote:The Steam sale is still a time to get some deals, but it is no longer an event.

I feel hollow inside.
Yeah, I also really enjoyed all the "stuff" surrounding the sale. I'm guessing it was a staffing nightmare for them, but I do think it had a lot of PC gamers talking about PC gaming...for whatever that's worth. I guess they're just happy to make a penny on every sale of a summer trading card and hoard millions for hosting the sale content.

EDIT: And to be clear, like a monkey I'm totally going to earn 3 cards a day for as long as they'll let me and then promptly sell them. It adds up folks!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I still went through my queues like a good lab rat.

Apparently I'm into sports, hentai, and survival games, despite not being into them at all.

Is hentai survival a sport?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote:Is hentai survival a sport?
I survived playing HuniePop without my wife seeing it. Adding a stealth element really ramped up the tension.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oooh, that's a good reminder. I need to get back to HuniePop - it's actually kinda fun.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

check out the next GOG sale - they're doing the 'extra stuff' that Valve used to do, now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pillars of Eternity $17.99
Endless Legend $10.19

Of course now I'm trying to remember why they're on my wishlist.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I see Far Cry Primal, which I might be interested in, but it's still only 35% off, which is still too steep for me.

With Mafia III coming up, maybe replaying Mafia II on the PC for 75% off will scratch the itch. I haven't touched it since it came out for the X360 five years ago.

And I see that OOTP17 is 50% off. Is OOTP like Star Trek movies were, in that only the even number versions were good? Perhaps I should wait for 75% off and maybe when they stop sending out patches for it.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Lee

Post by Lee »

LordMortis wrote:Pillars of Eternity $17.99
Endless Legend $10.19

Because they are both really good? Of course I say that when I never finished PoE, and have never finished a game of EL. Both games I keep meaning to get to. I do have like 20+ hours in both though.

Anyway, I like that there aren't flash sales and games anymore. Got on, spent a bunch of money on the stuff I wanted (Doom, and EUIV & CKII DLC), and now I can forget about it unless I feel like spending money. Although, I do like to collect cards for some unknown reason.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lee wrote:Anyway, I like that there aren't flash sales and games anymore.
I for one loved the flash sales, it meant that every few hours there was something new to get excited about. And Steam sold me a lot more stuff back then than now.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

LordMortis wrote:Pillars of Eternity $17.99
Endless Legend $10.19

Regarding Pillars, I was hoping for more than 25% off on the two expansions. I would have pulled the trigger at 50%.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Sadly I am interested in that weird Neptunia series. Although the inevitable squeaky neurotic voice acting is making me think twice. Maybe I'll get Rabi-Ribi instead.

<anime perv card granted!>

Some of the stuff on my wishlist is only 15% off. Nope! I have infinite patience for game sales. It's not even AAA games, just some indie things. Although I can see things from their POV. Then again, if you're done developing an application a sale is a sale.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Lee

Post by Lee »

jztemple2 wrote:
Lee wrote:Anyway, I like that there aren't flash sales and games anymore.
I for one loved the flash sales, it meant that every few hours there was something new to get excited about. And Steam sold me a lot more stuff back then than now.
I liked the sales, I just didn't like feeling I had to remember to check Steam every 8 hours, or whatever it, so I wasn't missing out on something. I wouldn't mind a new deal every 24 hours, but then again I would always be scared to buy something in case it was featured later in the week...
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

So, using Enhanced Steam plugin, it's disappointing to see that most of the summer sale prices are not the best price the games have been offered. Sure, the difference is usually minimal. But I just have a hard time paying more than the best deal, especially for more games when I have such a huge backlog.

So far, all I'm grabbing is the Dishonored DLC that I avoided before, and a Marvel Heroes 2016 package for $3. I miss the old sales, but at least it's easier on my wallet.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Lack of flash sales is ultimately more consumer friend but it doesn’t feel it. Now, I open my wish list, see how much the games on it are discounted, and then I’m done with the sale. It’s dull and having only one discount available makes it feel like I’m getting less of a discount (even if I'm not) than in past sales.

Of course, the other problem is that I already own pretty much everything anyways so not much to look forward to.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Heck, I am very happy with deals. Doom 40% off already. All the DLC I bought was 66% off. If I wasn't so back logged and had more time to game, I would probably spend more.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I ended up buying rise of the tomb raider and just just cause 3 bundle. Also picked up Sniper Elite 3, but it made me sick so I requested a refund. Tempted to get farcry primal
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MotoGP 13
Jets'n'Guns Gold
This War of Mine

$10.07
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Captain Caveman wrote:I really want Rise of the Tomb Raider, but my goodness, it's still $38. The price of the last Tomb Raider dropped hard and fast. I miss those days.
It's a great game, I loved it. Go ahead, you know you want to :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm enjoying replaying Watch_Dogs, so I picked up the Watch_Dogs DLC since the Season Pass is 60% off.

The original game is on sale at 60% off as well and I think it's very good.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I see about $75 worth of stuff I'd buy. Which, if you know me, means this is my "this sale sucks" post.
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Fighting Fantasy book to game conversions are down to $2 a title (normally $10) so I'm pleased. But everything changes when I have 11 days to think about it. I'm beginning to think if you have more than 50 games on STEAM, you're not the person they're targeting during these sales.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Most of my wishlist is on sale. Only a few are under $10 dollars, and they are the kind of games that would have hit under 5 dollars a few years ago. The few that are under 5 dollars are basically junk that used to go for 2 dollars or less.

There is no question in my mind that prices are creeping back up. Which is fine of course, but after years of training me to wait for insane deals, these deals don't feel like deals at all to me. I mean, XCOM2 is just shy of 50 bucks (CAN) which as far as I'm concerned is full price.

There are a couple of games I'll pick up because they are cheap and why not, like Gratuitous Space Battles II maybe, but nothing to get excited over.

It'll probably take another 2 or 3 years before I adjust to this new reality. In the meantime I'll resign myself to being disappointed.

I spent 30 bucks on warhammer 40k battlefleet gothic and another 30 bucks for Stellaris before the summer sale. I was relatively satisfied with those purchases for that price, but of course Steam wasn't right in the middle of a summer or Christmas sale (which I expect better deals). In fact I didn't buy them from Steam at all.

If other sites have better deals, my steam buying might start being superseded by other online distributors.

Ah well.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Baroquen wrote:So, using Enhanced Steam plugin, it's disappointing to see that most of the summer sale prices are not the best price the games have been offered. Sure, the difference is usually minimal.
That's...crazy.

While I'm sure many people are still getting excited when a Steam sale approaches (a la Smoove's video), I wasn't excited for this one (I used to be as excited as the next guy) although I was hoping they'd surprise me. The only thing that was going to get me to spend money were some crazy deals. Unfortunately those didn't materialize, so now I'm left with this sale coming and going in the span of about 15 minutes that it took for me to skim my wishlist. Holy yawn worthy. I can literally forget about it 15 minutes after I first looked at it. It's certainly not the EVENT! it used to be.

I almost feel obligated to buy *something* during a Steam sale, but now it's more "I might as well" rather than "oh boy oh boy oh boy!".

Not trying to be a downer for ya'll, but I"m realizing that I'm almost back to 1 or 2 purchases (of extremely anticipated games) every six months which I will play to death instead of multiple games per month including purchasing games I am vaguely interested in. It may be that Steam is going to make as much money off me as they ever did, but the money will be going to a lot few developers (and almost certainly less to the little guys).
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Grifman wrote:
I did. :oops:

Played for just half an hour to check it out, and my goodness, that's a beautiful game. One of the prettiest I've ever seen.
Lee

Post by Lee »

GreenGoo wrote:I mean, XCOM2 is just shy of 50 bucks (CAN) which as far as I'm concerned is full price.
40% off a game 5 months old? Thats pretty good if you ask me. Not sure we saw better in the good ole days of Steam sales.

Heck Doom is 40% off and it's only 1.5 months old.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:This War of Mine
Great game! Just don't play it if you're feeling sad or depressed because that game will put you over the edge.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

And it has children in it now, by DLC.
I have but one advocate.
storz

Post by storz »

Pulled trigger on ARMA3 APEX edition before the sale and only purchased Punch club (lowest price I have seen) and Crookz - The Big Heist (seems to be a fun stealth game) so far, all the other games in my wishlist are not low enough for me to pull the trigger yet, maybe when I am drunk enough I will add more.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lee wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:I mean, XCOM2 is just shy of 50 bucks (CAN) which as far as I'm concerned is full price.
40% off a game 5 months old? Thats pretty good if you ask me. Not sure we saw better in the good ole days of Steam sales.

Heck Doom is 40% off and it's only 1.5 months old.
Oh, well if it's 40% off, that's huge. It's not really 50 bucks at all then.

Percentages are meaningless.

I'm more interested in how much a game costs, rather than Steam telling me how much I'm saving, especially since I find their non-sale prices to be inflated higher compared to other sites.
Moliere

Re: 2016 Steam Summer Sale .....ITS HERE!!

Post by Moliere »

Anyone interested?

Tabletop Simulator 4-pack $7.50 each
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
naednek

Post by naednek »

Captain Caveman wrote:
Grifman wrote:

Played for just half an hour to check it out, and my goodness, that's a beautiful game. One of the prettiest I've ever seen.
First game that made me turn down the settings :(
Lee

Post by Lee »

GreenGoo wrote: Oh, well if it's 40% off, that's huge. It's not really 50 bucks at all then.

Percentages are meaningless.

I'm more interested in how much a game costs, rather than Steam telling me how much I'm saving, especially since I find their non-sale prices to be inflated higher compared to other sites.
Ok fine. In USD it's now $36 instead of $60. That's huge! I don't know about in Canadian dollars, but a semi-new AAA game for $36 is a decent deal (and this game is easily worth that). Unless of course, you are going off the idea that all games are too expensive and sales like this are just BS to fool us into buying them, which you seem to be.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm a little bummed about the new(ish) format as well, even though it actually saves me money.

I used to do a lot of impulse buying with the flash sales because I knew it was the lowest it would get, and the discounts were usually pretty great. Because of the spotlight focus on a handful of games every day, I'd be more inclined to find something to buy.

Now with everything on sale at some random range of discounts, it's just a wall of noise to me. Sure, I could go through my wishlist and find stuff that has been discounted - but I can do that any time. I'm a fan of stuff being curated for me because I'm too lazy to do it on my own. And that's what the new format lacks.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote:Now with everything on sale at some random range of discounts, it's just a wall of noise to me. Sure, I could go through my wishlist and find stuff that has been discounted - but I can do that any time. I'm a fan of stuff being curated for me because I'm too lazy to do it on my own. And that's what the new format lacks.
Considering they're giving out 3 free cards a day for simply going through a algorithm designed to guess what you like (and to help them tweak your preferences by saying what you don't like), I'm guessing there's money to be made on the information they're gathering - so they give away free cards to entice people to participate. Perhaps STEAM has moved away from being a game selling platform for Valve and is instead a giant data mine. When everything in the store is on sale, the only thing they can do now is to guess as to what you might like and haven't heard of yet in the hopes you'll wishlist it and/or buy it immediately.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Captain Caveman wrote:
Grifman wrote:

Yes, it's a great game for taking screenshots and showing them off!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton