Amazon Prime Day 7/11/17

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Moliere

Re: Amazon Prime Day 7/11/17

Post by Moliere »

LawBeefaroni wrote:You'd think that with all the data and metrics and AI they could just present you with 20 things you'd want at a price you might bite at and off you go.

And hey, I just bought 3 Kindles a few weeks ago. I really don't need to see them way cheaper plastered all over the place. Capisce?
Seriously, just read our minds already. I don't want to spend any effort in finding what I need.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moliere wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:You'd think that with all the data and metrics and AI they could just present you with 20 things you'd want at a price you might bite at and off you go.

And hey, I just bought 3 Kindles a few weeks ago. I really don't need to see them way cheaper plastered all over the place. Capisce?
Seriously, just read our minds already. I don't want to spend any effort in finding what I need.
At the very least, don't make me wade through surge protectors and toilet paper to find stuff. Do I want an echo dot carry case on green? Probably not until I buy a dot. Which, with my echo and pile of Kindling, isn't likely.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I checked last night and found a half-dozen things that caught my eye, so I put them on my watch list. For every one, I get the notification it's on sale, click to check the price, and it is sold out.

I doubt I'll even bother next year.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Zarathud wrote:It the Amazon "too much crap in my house" sale.

Mt'd
??
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

If you buy an e-book today, you get 40% off of your next e-book (purchase by 7/25). So that's a thing.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Enlarge Image

This image from The Wirecutter aptly sums up the number of worthwhile 'Prime Day' deals. While it's clearly a shrewd marketing stunt for Amazon to generate plenty of buzz during an otherwise sluggish time of year for retail sales, it seems rather ho-hum in terms of true consumer value.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

That site is an un-navigable mess right now.

I marked one thing to watch, I can't find it now. You'd think they might show those marked items front and center?
There is no hug button. Sad!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I probably looked through 30 pages of crap and found nothing of interest. Time to go for a walk instead.
Black Lives Matter
PLW

Post by PLW »

I bought a luggage set. We'll see how it works out.
naednek

Post by naednek »

bought the kids tablet 8 for $89. Couldn't have done the HD8 for $49 plus kids case for $24 and be cheaper, but it didn't come with the extra content, warranty and more memory. Figured that was worth the extra $16.

And great, now they charge a fee for recycling if you live in California. So that's another $5 on top of taxes.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I need to get a new phone case, so I guess today is a good day to do it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Between the two Blu-rays I bought I saved around $11, which is not insignificant. On the other hand, I could have just not bought the Blu-rays and saved $30, so there's that. :D
Isgrimnur

Amazon Prime Day 7/11/17

Post by Isgrimnur »

I bought a phone case, a cheap pair of Bluetooth headphones for yard work, and a rice cooker for under $60 total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Bought a Roomba knockoff, Ecovacs,normally priced at $350 for $150.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Enough

Post by Enough »

I bought a $25 gift card to get the free $5 credit. I am seriously eyeing the Hue light kit.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm seeing a lot of Star Wars X-Wing and Armada stuff.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

ImLawBoy wrote:If you buy an e-book today, you get 40% off of your next e-book (purchase by 7/25). So that's a thing.
I can't decide if I want the 6 Joe Abercrombie First Law books as Kindle or paperbacks. Unfortunately he is popular enough that they never go on sale. That leaves this strategy:

Buy the first at full $9.99 price.
Get the second at 40% off.
Get delayed shipping on 4 other Prime orders to receive $1 credit on digital purchases, making the rest of the books $8.99.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I did come across some room darkening drapes, the page said it expired in an hour and since my wife was sleeping, I didn't mention it to her until later in the evening. They must have still been available though -- an hour later, I received an order confirmation from Amazon.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

According to Amazon it was a huge success, with sales "up 60%."

I assume 60% over last year's prime day but I'm not sure.

I ended up needing a micro SD card for the kiddo, and one happened to be on sale. Spent a whole $10.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Saw nothing interesting, but I didn't spend any time looking. I would have gone for the $400 rift with the $100 amazon gift card, but for some reason that sold out quickly.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter