The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Amazon PrimeDay 7/12/16

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Moliere wrote:
See, now getting the $30 discount + $50 gift card practically pays for the first year of Prime. Maybe I can even buy a Kindle as my purchase to qualify for the $30 discount. :wink:
Bear in mind, those looking to take advantage of this deal must apply and receive approval for the credit card prior to this Saturday to be eligible:
Amazon.com wrote:To be eligible for this offer, you must be an Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card member. Customers who apply and are approved for this card after July 9, 2016, will not be eligible.
FWIW, I get Amazon Visa Reward offers every time I checkout on Amazon (with my Prime Card??). They always change but I think the highest I've seen was $80 with $50-$70 being most common. So that looks decent but it's not like it will never happen again.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

gilraen wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I rarely see the ads because I 1) turn off my Kindle fully between uses
I didn't think you could turn off the Kindle, just put it in screensaver mode.
The Kindle Fire's you can definitely turn off, but it might be the book-only versions of the kindle that do that? (since their battery life is measured in weeks?)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Lassr wrote:
Lassr wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:FWIW, you can also very easily remove the Soecial Offer ads from your Kindle for free.
Menu is laid out differently than described above but I am going to try this, we'll see if it is successful.
they just pointed me to paying the $15 to get rid of the ads. So it did not work.
Huh. Worked for me when I gave it a whirl a little over 6 months ago with a Paperwhite 3, but evidently YMMV (or, perhaps as Isgrimnur suggested, they may've altered their policy on the matter since the linked article was published). I simply informed the CSR that the ads were not at all relevant to my needs, and they removed the ads for free, no questions asked.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Lassr wrote:
Lassr wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:FWIW, you can also very easily remove the Soecial Offer ads from your Kindle for free.
Menu is laid out differently than described above but I am going to try this, we'll see if it is successful.
they just pointed me to paying the $15 to get rid of the ads. So it did not work.
Huh. Worked for me when I gave it a whirl a little over 6 months ago with a Paperwhite 3, but evidently YMMV (or, perhaps as Isgrimnur suggested, they may've altered their policy on the matter since the linked article was published). I simply informed the CSR that the ads were not at all relevant to my needs, and they removed the ads for free, no questions asked.
I actually stated that some ads cause my lock screen to actually lock up and I have to reboot the Kindle. Which has happened 3 times in the past 6 months.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Anyone finding anything good today? Seems better than last year, but nothing is jumping off the screen at me, and I don't really have time to click through everything.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

ImLawBoy wrote:Anyone finding anything good today? Seems better than last year, but nothing is jumping off the screen at me, and I don't really have time to click through everything.
The Kindle Paperwhite I was looking at is $30 less. I haven't looked too deeply into other deals.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Yeah, I got the Paperwhite as I have been wanting one for a while now. (And since I used my Discover card I'll be getting 5% cash back on the sale price). Other than that . . . not seeing anything grab my eye.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Hamlet3145 wrote:Yeah, I got the Paperwhite as I have been wanting one for a while now. (And since I used my Discover card I'll be getting 5% cash back on the sale price).
I applied for and received the Amazon Visa card a couple of days ago. That got me a $50 gift card credit, a $30 credit on my order today for spending at least $150, and I will get the 5% cashback on the Visa.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

ImLawBoy wrote:Anyone finding anything good today? Seems better than last year, but nothing is jumping off the screen at me, and I don't really have time to click through everything.
This is the best list I've seen.

Also, there's free money for frequent Amazon users who also have Prime, here.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

iPad 2 Air 64GB for $400 is a good deal, and as mentioned above, free $10 (with $50 gift card purchase).
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Carpet_pissr wrote:iPad 2 Air 64GB for $400 is a good deal, and as mentioned above, free $10 (with $50 gift card purchase).
I've been thinking about getting an iPad for awhile (see the Twilight Struggle thread). Does anyone know if a new version of the Air is coming out soon? I always seem to buy these things a month before the new version comes out...
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MacWorld rumours wrote:We think it's likely that Apple will launch new iPads of some kind in autumn 2016, quite possibly alongside the iPhone 7. But whether this will include new 9.7-inch models is harder to call: Apple may choose to split its tablet refreshes into two yearly events, just as we expect it to update the 4-inch iPhone in spring and the 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhones in autumn. September 2016 is the earliest we'd expect the iPad Air 3 to appear, but right now March 2017 seems likelier.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I nabbed a Samsung JD-5900 Blu-ray Player for $49.99, which is a great deal. I wanted a player to put up in the office so I could throw in a commentary track while I'm on the PC, but I didn't want to spend a fortune on it.

There hasn't been a whole lot that I've been overly interested in, but it's leaps and bounds better than last year's Prime Day. Even if there's not a lot I personally want, I see some actual good deals on quality items and the stock seems to be MUCH improved.
Enough

Post by Enough »

I was looking at the Huawei smartwatch at $175, now it has mysteriously increased in price to $300 (wasn't a lightning deal) so I am backing off. It's probably for the best since Google is coming out with their own soon. Still swooning over Kindles but feeling like I should use my phablet 6P for that purpose at least for a bit longer before investing. I am also starting to get enamored with Echo but will likely resist the pull this time. I have purchased nothing so far but I may have to pick up a $33 Fire this time, heh.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

There are a handful of good Amazon Video deals for prime members, like Mad Men seasons for $7 each and the first five seasons of GoT for $60 (together)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I'm debating a 960GB SanDisk SSD for $165. My current SSD is only 110GB, and the last World of Warcraft patch filled it :) (so I had to move it back to a regular hard drive, but I'm spoiled now and definitely noticing the difference in game loading). Obviously some other games with loading screens, like Skyrim, would seriously benefit from it too.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Looks like the $30 discount using the Amazon Visa has expired. I talked to their customer service and Twitter users are reporting the same thing. :evil: The terms and conditions say it is good until midnight.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Defiant wrote:There are a handful of good Amazon Video deals for prime members, like Mad Men seasons for $7 each and the first five seasons of GoT for $60 (together)
You just cost me about $60. A few movies for the kids and a couple shows and movies for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

The mighty useful Innovation Factory IF-221 Trucker's Friend demolition multitool currently has an aidditional 20% Prime day discount during checkout, so I snagged another:
Amazon.com wrote:Enlarge Image
  • Handy all-purpose hand tool designed for professional truck drivers
  • Cut branches, pry loose nails, chip away hard-packed ice, and more
  • Includes curved axe, spanner, hammer, nail puller, tire chain hook, pry bar and lever
  • Shock-absorbing power grip and fiberglass handle
  • Made in the USA
Definitely the handiest SHTF multitool I've come across; useful around the yard and/or in a vehicle, as well as for the inevitable zombie apocalypse.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I snagged a Fire stick as a housewarming present for a newly-divorced friend setting her own household and wanting a way to stream Netflix. And I grabbed one of the kindle 7" tablets for $33 because...well, because.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Damn, forgot I was going to order another $33 Kindle Fire for the impending baby. Oh well, I'm sure they'll have it dirt cheap again before she's old enough to use it.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I ended up not getting anything this year (again). While there were some good deals, there was nothing that I really needed, and I didn't want to buy something just for the sake of a deal.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

ImLawBoy wrote:I didn't want to buy something just for the sake of a deal.
Why do you hate America?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

/hangs head in shame.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If I had seen this Lego Tie Fighter deal, I definitely would have snagged it at roughly 50% off. Normally sells for $200, with a coupon and the Prime deal, many were getting it for $103.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X3 ... bc42740INT
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I got a tire gauge because my last one broke and I bought a nose hair trimmer...for a...friend... :ninja:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Moliere wrote:Looks like the $30 discount using the Amazon Visa has expired. I talked to their customer service and Twitter users are reporting the same thing. :evil: The terms and conditions say it is good until midnight.
Via email Amazon wrote:Dear Valued Prime Member,

In connection with Prime Day, we ran a limited offer of $30 off a purchase of $150 or more with the Amazon Rewards Visa Card on Amazon.com. We see that you entered the promotion code VISA30 after the offer had already expired. Because you are a valued Prime Member, we have loaded a $30 Amazon.com Gift Card to your account.

The gift card funds have already been loaded to your account and are available for your immediate use. You can see your current Amazon.com Gift Card balance by visiting the following location:
I knew the deal had expired, but thought they may end up doing something like this for me after all. I was not surprised to have received this note in my inbox.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The Meal wrote:I knew the deal had expired, but thought they may end up doing something like this for me after all. I was not surprised to have received this note in my inbox.
Good news! I confirmed getting the same credit.
Moliere

Re: Amazon Prime Day 7/11/17

Post by Moliere »

Deals begin 9pm ET on Monday July 10.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My luck, they'll sell out of the heart shaped waffle irons 24 seconds after they go on sale. And don't get me started on what will probably happen with the all wood laundry basket, or 6 packs of Pringles.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Prime Day has begun....get in there and show'm what fer.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Round Waffle Maker
Only $21 with an additional 25% coupon!

Enlarge Image
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Too much wading through crap and refreshing. Tried for about 5 minutes and I'm out.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Got an Echo Dot for $25. That seems reasonable. Didn't see much else of interest.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Picked up the Scream Factory Lifeforce Blu-ray for $12.99, which is lowest I've ever seen it. It's not a crazy deal since it's normally around $16, but I snatched it up anyway.

I'm keeping an eye on the Black Christmas Collector's Edition deal which is coming up soon, but other than that I didn't see anything I was interested in.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote:Picked up the Scream Factory Lifeforce Blu-ray for $12.99, which is lowest I've ever seen it. It's not a crazy deal since it's normally around $16, but I snatched it up anyway.

I'm keeping an eye on the Black Christmas Collector's Edition deal which is coming up soon, but other than that I didn't see anything I was interested in.
I have both of those on my watch list. :lol:
He won. Period.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Too much wading through crap and refreshing. Tried for about 5 minutes and I'm out.
Yup. And if by lightning strike miracle I see something I might actually want, it's already waitlisted or sold out. This feels like "camp out hours before Black Friday: online edition".
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It the Amazon "too much crap in the warehouse" sale.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

You'd think that with all the data and metrics and AI they could just present you with 20 things you'd want at a price you might bite at and off you go.

And hey, I just bought 3 Kindles a few weeks ago. I really don't need to see them way cheaper plastered all over the place. Capisce?

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Amazon Prime Day 7/11/17

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zarathud wrote:It the Amazon "too much crap in my house" sale.

Mt'd